Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 07:14 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times

Advertisements

Even more interesting are the links on the right side to other articles

Bridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 12:18 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
It's a vacation region. There's never going to be bustling industry up there that isn't tied to either that, food service, or the medical field.

I worked at the Petoskey hospital for 7 years. Single when I arrived, married with 4 kids when I left. I miss the area badly, but that hospital was always in dire straits financially, and I knew I could provide better for us with more money plus greater stability in a bigger metro. That's exactly how it's been since. We also left because we wanted our kids to have more/better opportunities available to them locally once they got older.

That said, many of my former co-workers have families, have been more than content to take what they get, and will never leave unless pushed out. Nothing wrong with that. It's a beautiful, safe place to be, but you have to take it for what it is. What it ISN'T is a young persons launching pad toward success, and I don't see that aspect of things changing there.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 09-13-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 09-13-2015, 07:37 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I don't see why it doesn't try to capitalize off its outdoors base more. There are a lot of young people going places largely because of the excellent outdoors scene. Michigan doesn't even register for most folks in that regard.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:08 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Honestly I think that article could be written about most rural areas in the country that isn't within a couple hundred miles of the coast or near a big inland city like Minneapolis or Denver. Or maybe near smaller inland cities like Green Bay, of which there are few with hospitals in Michigan. But as usual its just a bit worse in Michigan, partly I think because we are a peninsula. So not only is it far north but you have to go way north or south and around to string along from Madison/Milwaukee to Minneapolis or Omaha or Pittsburgh etc. Canary in the coal mine is the way I look at it. I have been seriously considering retiring in the nothern mitten. This makes me feel stupid. But there you go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan