Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 02:27 PM

153 posts, read 712,246 times

Advertisements

I lived in Michigan for 9 years. Here's my take:

The UP (Upper Peninsula) - is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been in. The landscape is breathtaking. The hunting, fishing, and outdoor recreation is awesome.

The LP - Is the definition of sprawl. I lived in the LP for 3 of my 9 years in Michigan and I didn't care for it much. Way too many people.

The Economy - Michigan in terms of an economy is dead. That's my opinion. The LP is just rank with joblessness, even the Grand Rapids area which is "better" by some accounts - is still bad when you compare it to other areas outside of the state. The UP has a lack of white collar jobs, so all the kids leave. Blue collar jobs do exsist up there, but there's such a low turnover rate, they are hard to come by. The auto industries have jumped ship or are in the process of jumping ship, the mines have closed, or will be closing in a few years, and graduates from the State universities leave in DROVES. What's left of the unions are killing the state because companies can't compete with the unions chomping at their feet. I gave Michigan the benefit of the doubt when I graduated and made an attempt to look for a job. It didn't work out so I left the state. When I arrived in my new state (MN) i had a job within 4 days (after months of looking in Michigan)!

All-in-all - I really don't know how Michigan will pan out. I've read a number of articles which proclaim that Michigan's economy won't hit BOTTOM until early 2008. By then I figure a good portion of the population will have left. I would consider moving to Michigan if the financial situation improves but with the flight of all the people, and the death of the major state industries - I think it will take a decade or so for Michigan to recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 07:22 PM

250 posts, read 934,011 times
Quote:
I have had this problem as well! It has been a struggle for me to get my degree, I finally had to quit due to financial reasons. It is tough! I hope things do turn around for you.
Thanks for the kind words! I wish we could stay!

Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 AM

36 posts, read 68,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigangolfer View Post
Mariatherese

Let me give you my take on Quality of Life vs. Economy. First let me give you some background. I have lived in Michigan all my life. I was married about 13 years ago and we have 3 kids almost 12, 10 and eight. In the past few years it is getting harder and harder too manage on two incomes. My wife doesn't make allot but if helps. With the cost of health insurance, taxes and the kids always saying they are hungry all the time we are barely making ends meet. In the future we will move out of state for a better quality of life. Yes it will be working for less money but if the quality is better it will be worth it. Sorry to vent but I needed to get this off my chest.
Wow, sounds like our situation a bit.. We have 3 kids, I have been laid off for 2 years unable to find any job despite hundreds of resumes. Thankfully my wife makes great money in the heathcare field. However, at times we still have trouble because of the atrocious Michigan economy, and therefore our quality of life seems to be lower here because of it. The economy has a way of lowering quality of life across the board.

I knew this was coming, 2 years ago I planned for Disaster budgetting for the family, so we have no car payments, small credit card debt, and a low house payment with a house that is fairly cheap to maintain. So we can weather the michigan storm for the most part. But in general, our quality of life seems to have fall a good deal in Michigan due to the economy.

Ironically, my wife works at a Hospital, and our heath insurance costs DOUBLE starting in January! DOUBLE! Our taxes have gone up 10% per year for no good reason. The cost of everything from a cup of coffee to groceries has gone up 20-30% in the last year. The problem is, I know this is happening nationwide, but Michigans aweful economy seem to be magnifying the problem because of poor jobs and low pay.

I read that on average, for each job opening, there are 1500-2500 applications now.. Whats the chances to get hired under those conditions????? With 250,000 unemployed people, my outlook for getting a job in this state are abysmal.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:49 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,315,212 times
Everybody suffers from the grass is greener on the other side syndrome at some point...Let me tell you how much 'greener' the grass really is on the other side...

We moved to GA, suburbs of Atlanta. We live in one of the top 5 areas of Atlanta. I live 30miles from my work, I have a 1 1/2hr - 2hr commute ea. way EVERYDAY. By the time I get home I have zero energy to do anything because I'm so drained and shutdown from sitting in traffic. We don't even bother doing anything on the weekends, because traffic is pretty much the same, the fear of trying to go somewhere and getting stuck isn't worth it, not too mention everything costs a lot...Example last time we did something, we went to some little festival some local town was having, something we used to do in MI all the time usually for free or at least a very low cost, this one, $14/adult, $10/children to get into. We already were there, so we were stuck paying, it was the biggest waste of money, in 20min we had walked through the entire thing, NOTHING there except a bunch of vendors trying to sell junk, the "car show" consisted of 5 cars, the "petting zoo" consisted of a couple goats and llama and even that cost another $1 to let your kids walk through. This isn't an isolated incident, this has happened here more times than I can remember. We don't even bother with things like that anymore...Going out to dinner, it's the same 4 or 5 chain restaurants everywhere, same crap, everytime, so we don't even bother w/that either. Nothing like all the little hole in the wall family owned places you find everywhere in MI, where you can feed your family and have a few drinks for $30.
Kids wanted to play sports, football $300/PER CHILD, then add to that a 45min commute to their practice that is only about 12 miles away...Schools, we're in one of the top districts in the state, and no bias here honest opinion, it pales in comparison to the quality of the schools they attended in MI...Neighbors, have been invited to 3 churchs, haven't been invited over for dinner, etc. ONCE, one of the neighbors had a police report filed on them because somebody called the police because their 10yr old was riding his bike around the NEIGHBORHOOD w/o a helmet on!!! Be ready to have religion shoved down your throat, and I don't mean just 'being religious', you better have the same religion as everybody here and you better practive it the way they think you should...Materialism, taken to a whole new level here, imagine Detroit burbs times 3!!!

I could go on and on, but there is a trade off...There's always a catch, don't think you just move where it's warm and your going to have this wonderful life because now you can find a job at the drop of a hat, and can buy some 3000 sq. ft. McMansion for less than what you paid for your car!

Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
We moved to GA, suburbs of Atlanta. We live in one of the top 5 areas of Atlanta. I live 30miles from my work, I have a 1 1/2hr - 2hr commute ea. way EVERYDAY. By the time I get home I have zero energy to do anything because I'm so drained and shutdown from sitting in traffic. We don't even bother doing anything on the weekends, because traffic is pretty much the same, the fear of trying to go somewhere and getting stuck isn't worth it, not too mention everything costs a lot...Example last time we did something, we went to some little festival some local town was having, something we used to do in MI all the time usually for free or at least a very low cost, this one, $14/adult, $10/children to get into. We already were there, so we were stuck paying, it was the biggest waste of money, in 20min we had walked through the entire thing, NOTHING there except a bunch of vendors trying to sell junk, the "car show" consisted of 5 cars, the "petting zoo" consisted of a couple goats and llama and even that cost another $1 to let your kids walk through. This isn't an isolated incident, this has happened here more times than I can remember. We don't even bother with things like that anymore...Going out to dinner, it's the same 4 or 5 chain restaurants everywhere, same crap, everytime, so we don't even bother w/that either. Nothing like all the little hole in the wall family owned places you find everywhere in MI, where you can feed your family and have a few drinks for $30.
Kids wanted to play sports, football $300/PER CHILD, then add to that a 45min commute to their practice that is only about 12 miles away...Schools, we're in one of the top districts in the state, and no bias here honest opinion, it pales in comparison to the quality of the schools they attended in MI...Neighbors, have been invited to 3 churchs, haven't been invited over for dinner, etc. ONCE, one of the neighbors had a police report filed on them because somebody called the police because their 10yr old was riding his bike around the NEIGHBORHOOD w/o a helmet on!!! Be ready to have religion shoved down your throat, and I don't mean just 'being religious', you better have the same religion as everybody here and you better practive it the way they think you should...Materialism, taken to a whole new level here, imagine Detroit burbs times 3!!!
THis website has really opened my eyes up to alot of things. ANd although we can't afford to live here, I am really second guessing leaving. But honestly, if we do stay we won't be able to afford a house in any area that I'd like too. And that makes me unhappy. Yesterday I was eating dinner and looking at my 3 beautiful children and it made me sad that DH and I cannot provide them with a backyard. It makes me sad that everytime it rains, I watch the leak in our roof get bigger and bigger and there is nothing I can do about it. We got a letter from the bank yesterday that said that they had to close our account because it was in the negative for too long. Our phone has been shut off. We have $5 to our name until friday and DH drives 100 miles to work and back everyday... $5 will not keep his gas tank full for that long. I ran out of insulin yesterday and I am very worried that I may need it. This is not how life is suppose to be. 3 years ago things were great. DH had a great job, I was in school and working part time and everything was wonderful. Then BAM! he got laid off. We have been scraping by since then with minimum wage jobs. I am trying to finish school so at least we can one decent household income. However we can't afford daycare for our kids, while I finish school-- the state will not help us out.

My point? I guess I am realizing that if we can't make it here, we probably can't make it anywhere else either. It just is really depressing being in the situation that we are in and have no idea when or if it will ever end! KWIM?
We have wonderful friends and family here, schools are good, the right balance of country and city. Really the only thing here I dont like is the housing costs and the loss of jobs.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,485,055 times
It makes me sad to read this, it really does. Michigan is undeserving of this. Its such a wonderful state and it really saddens me to see people leaving in droves. Most people are chasing some fake dream that exists somewhere warmer, or cheaper, etc. What they dont realize is that its a pipe dream most of the time. They relocate, realize that its no better, or actually worse, than it was back home. My advice is to stay put. Hard as it is, stay the course and stay planted. Good things come to those who wait. There is NO perfect place in the world, really take some time to think about it. Theres simply no such thing. So what if the winters are cold? Lots of people would love to get a break from oppressive heat. So what if summers can get humid? It doesnt last ALL summer, most summer weather is downright perfect. I see alot of people leave for those two reasons, and when they get to their destinations, they get a reality slap and turn around and head right back. No matter where you live, there is always someplace cheaper nearby. You might have to sacrifice a little and have a longer commute, etc. but its worth it. I lived 15 minutes from my job, but they raised our rent to $1,350 for a 2 BR apartment and I just couldnt afford it anymore so we had to relocate 45 minutes west. Its outrageously expensive here in Chicagoland area, but there are so many options to consider before Id ever even think about leaving. Sure enough, we found a larger brand new 2 bedroom place for 1/2 the price. Yes, the drive is longer, but its very much worth it IMO. So all I have to say is to hang in there people, ride the storm. Pretty soon alot of people will start migrating back and helping MI out. Its the people that leave that further worsen the situation. They should stay put and help the economy rather than abandon it. Thats just my 2 cents, I know its not much but reading this thread really made me sad for Michigan. I love that state and would love to live there myself, but Im comfy here for now.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 13,413 times
Default JenM

You & I sound ALOT alike. I could of written your posts. Seriously....
We have thought & thought about moving vs not moving. Its hard to decide. What if you move and hate it?? But what if you do and say in a year "Its the best decision we could of made". Having a crystal ball at this point would be great!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 AM

I know!!! If we didnt have kids, than moving several times would be different, but we can't move mulitple times; like it was said before, kids need stability. I wish I had a crystal ball too.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,905,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
I could go on and on, but there is a trade off...There's always a catch, don't think you just move where it's warm and your going to have this wonderful life because now you can find a job at the drop of a hat, and can buy some 3000 sq. ft. McMansion for less than what you paid for your car!
Heh, isn't that the truth? That is my ultimate dilemma right there. I have to balance out jobs with the cost of living. Although I like Chicago, I really think I am priced out. There is no way I could consider the West Coast or New England. Priced out. I have looked at the salaries and no, they don't pay more so that it is enough for me to be able to comfortably afford the area.

Here is something I found interesting about Grand Rapids, for instance. It is 2.0% more expensive to live there than Indy (the last place I lived in the US), but employers pay 3.1% more than in Indianapolis. It covers the cost of living difference and then a little more. Unemployment is around .5%-1% point higher. Eh. Not tragic, but I am coming from an area of around 12.5% unemployment. Puts things more into perspective for me.

Let's try something else. Detroit vs. Atlanta. Well, it is 5.2% more expensive to live in Atlanta and employers pay 9.3% less! Let's take another example. Detroit vs. Raleigh-Durham, NC. COL is .4% less, but employers pay a whopping 10.3% less.

Seriously check this out before you move anywhere: http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...coll_start.asp

For me, I found some places that paid more for lower COL like Knoxsville, TN, but I would be miserable in the South. I like the seasons. I like snow. I like winter spots. I hate the heat with a purple passion. In the end, I really prefer the Midwest. That is worth more to me than money.

Helena, MT is worth a look at. Costs 25.2% less to live there and employers only pay half that less. I wouldn't want to live in Montana, but I am sure that sounds attractive to some people here.

This could also help in your search:

http://www.****.com/

Almost everything for me came up either Michigan or Wisconsin with a few odd things thrown in.

Last edited by Sonnenwende; 11-30-2006 at 02:46 AM..

Old 12-02-2006, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,556 times
Default michigan not the worst

Michigan was#50 last I checked for jobless full time residents. That doesn't look good. I have lived in Michigan for a total of 18 years, 10 of those are in Atlanta Michigan. A very small town, no work at all, even surrounding 50 mile radius, I have traveled to saginaw, flint, detroit for small jobs. I am in the construction/demolition field, which has been one of the easiest jobs to land in Michigan for a long time now. I am fully certified by the state of michigan and still cannot find work. This Xmas is looking bad for my 3 kids my wife is working on her nursing degree hopefully there will be a job for her when she finishes.
I'm not trying to bad mouth northern Michigan, but I have tried so hard to make things good for my kids and I am always trying to find some sort of work so I can feed them.

The amount of work in this field is growing (says the polititians) and its onlygoing to get better, FOR WHO?? Nobody has moneyto spend, the ones who do have greatjobs and a peachy life are the ones we are paying to keep ourselves from leaving thisgreat state.

I have worked in Livonia automotive (laid off), and in Sterling Heights (laid off) Flint seems to have work if you like 7.00 per hour. I cant even pay for gas and food with that.

The lower part of northern michigan is verybad, reguardless of what people are saying, I've been outof work and working for cash for 3 years now. Maybe it's time to move to where thejobs are (katrina-rita) I hate to move my familyto make a betterlife away from family and friends, butthisiswhat I am now facing every day. Stay and be unhappy or leave hopeforwork and pray.

YOU TELL ME I'll be checking on this post for replies.

Atlanta Michigan 49709 - 989 area code

Thank-You,
embarresed parent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan