Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 07:35 PM

211 posts, read 588,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The EPA is now sending a scathing order to the State of Michigan and Snyder:

EPA blasts handling of Flint crisis, says risks remain

Months after the problems with the water in Flint first came to light, the EPA said in its Thursday emergency order and in a letter from Administrator Gina McCarthy to Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder that "there continues to be inadequate transparency and accountability with regard to ... test results and actions taken ... critical for the people of Flint."

They're even questioning the State's capacity and expertise to move Flint to the KVA now:

It also called on the city and state to set up an independent advisory panel to advise them on drinking water issues, and said that before any move to a new Lake Huron water system is permitted the city must show it has the "technical, managerial and financial capacity" to do so and ensure that all testing has been completed.

I know people don't like things getting political, but I don't see Dave Murray, Muchmore and Snyder making it out of this one. Live by the political sword, die by the political sword. Michigan deserves better than this, and it will move on without them.
Muchmore had announced he was retiring back in August, last week was his last one, his leaving had nothing to do with the Flint issue.

Snyder chief of staff Dennis Muchmore to retire, Jarrod Agen named as replacement | MLive.com

Nothing is going to happen to Snyder. The Democrats can bluster all they want, there isn't going to be any criminal liability resulting from this whole thing and in a couple of weeks the media will be on to their next circus to report on.

By the way, it's KWA, not KVA as you keep saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:10 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Interesting take on Snyder's email release.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/us...isis.html?_r=1

One of the best comments (on the internet):

Thank you New York Times for shedding prominent light on our crisis. If I may ask you for one favor: To offset our new bruises, could you please pen an article or two on some of the positive momentum building within my city? Kettering University, Diplomat Pharmacy, Michigan State University Medical School, Hurley and McLaren hospitals, Powers Catholic High School, Michigan School for the Deaf, University of Michigan's Flint satellite, Flint Cultural Center, GM's Flint Truck Assembly plant, Flint Farmers Market, The Flint Journal, The Mott Foundation. There are so many tough, talented, modest, and hard working people here.

Dylan Hernandez
Powers Catholic High School
Class of 2017

Last edited by magellan; 01-22-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswee View Post

By the way, it's KWA, not KVA as you keep saying.
Ah thanks.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:41 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That makes sense. I agree with ya. On going energency. That fits.

On tv yesterday, they showed a glass jug of water from a faucet and also the water shooting out of a fire hydrant in Flint and they looked like they were about the same color of sweet tea, maybe a little darker. It's unbelievable.
I keep thinking the water looks like urine. What isn't yellow is medium brown and reminds me of what things looked like when I had to have my septic pumped last year. I've seen the orange water too as they pumped it out of the fire hydrants. I don't know how anyone could expect people to drink something that looks like this. It's not to mention how awful residents said it smelled and tasted. This whole thing puts me in mind of the downwinders back in the era of nuclear testing. All that fallout to people living downwind of the test site were told everything is "okay." I guess that saying about the more things change the more they stay the same is true. Everyone wants budget cuts and will jump at the chance to save money as long as it's at the expense of someone else. Look at how sick this whole set up was when for $100 a day the water could have been treated for the corrosion. The last figure I've read about what this whole debacle will cost is $1.3 billion. This is lives ruined when all of it could have been prevented.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:23 PM

Snyder has PR'ed up with a national PR crisis team:

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder Hires Spin Doctors for Flint Health Crisis - NBC News

Jack Lessenberry at Michigan Public Radio: Flint situation worse than you think, and clouding out other issues too

Flint situation worse than you think, and clouding out other issues too | Michigan Radio

Two nights ago, Snyder agreed to appear on the CBS evening news to discuss the situation in Flint. But when the anchor asked him what the most recent water tests in Flint show, the governor didn’t have a clue. He was however, sorry about things.

This article is really interesting. Not so much for what it contains, but the Governor's office's response.

Did Snyder release all Flint e-mails? Maybe not.

Nice of Snyder's Communications Director Dave Murray to find the whole situation funny...

Old 01-22-2016, 07:37 PM

510 posts, read 716,794 times
Uh, this IS a big deal because of the long-term effects of lead intake, especially in children. Poor Flint, it is really one f****-up city. And this has been going on for a very long time, well over a year.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:27 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
I am still finding it difficult to believe that lead pipes are still being used to carry water in modern day America. They were banned in the UK over fifty years ago because of the danger of lead poisoning.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:03 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Lead is a big problem in the US and has been for quite awhile but no one really seems to be..................? Lots of articles, the one below from 2012

Toxic Taps: Lead is still the problem - Toxic Taps | Investigative Reporting Workshop

So...my home town is bright red on this map. Maybe that explains some things :/

http://bridgemi.com/2015/12/interact...es-than-flint/

Old 01-23-2016, 04:37 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,146,011 times
Because of an ideological bias against environmental rules and regulations because of the belief they hinder economic development if people really think things through they would see that by not enforcing environmental rules and regulations actually hinders economic development. If the environment becomes so polluted that even industry cannot use the natural resources due to the toxic effects it have on equipment and products then industry will relocate to somewhere else with a clean environment. General Motors could not use the municipal water supply at its manufacturing plant because it was corroding auto parts such as engines and the like. The costs of having destructive water destroying its products and equipment on GM and the cost to its brand in terms of consumer quality to car buyers unfortunate enough to have bought a car built with corrosive parts built at that plant during that time frame is not good for Michigan.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:34 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
I hate situations like this. First step should be finding a solution, not finding someone to blame. The blame should come AFTER a solution is found and put into effect.

I'm not in your area so I don't know if this was covered. Has anyone looked into water pitcher filters, faucet mounted filters, or inline whole home filters as to if they can safely remove enough lead as to make the water safe to drink or cook with? Also, can your body absorb lead from taking a shower or bath in this unfiltered water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan