Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:03 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAttack View Post
I now live on the Keweenaw peninsula in Calumet!

It's awesome here. I cannot believe how beautiful this area is. I thought the northern Lower peninsula was beautiful - but it has nothing on the UP...starting immediately on the other side of the bridge, no less. lol.

The route we took here was from St Ignace to Manistique, then we cut north to Munising before going through Marquette, Negaunee, Ishpeming and cutting across to Baraga and then Houghton/Hancock north to Calumet.

Beautiful.

And so much more remote and isolated than I ever imagined - and this is a good thing to me. I love it.

I am beyond in love with this place.

Cannot wait till winter.

It's a beautiful area. It has been many years since I've been there, we used to do a week long snowmobile trip there, well we home based out of Hancock. And it's been even longer since I was there in the summer, I think I was 13-14.
Enjoy being there, winters are harsh though. Hopefully you do some sort of winter activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's a beautiful area. It has been many years since I've been there, we used to do a week long snowmobile trip there, well we home based out of Hancock. And it's been even longer since I was there in the summer, I think I was 13-14.
Enjoy being there, winters are harsh though. Hopefully you do some sort of winter activity.
Winters are very snowy there, but actual air temperatures are not as cold compared to the Arrowhead of MN and interior areas away from Lake Superior.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:41 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,924 times
Reading this thread also reminded me of another poster who seems to have left citydata, Jimandthom. I so much enjoyed reading about their adventure in moving to the Soo. Hope they, as well as the OP, are happy in their chosen locations.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:17 AM

680 posts, read 535,173 times
I love Keweenaw. Born and raised in Midland, MI. In Copper Harbor you can rent a cabin($50 a night?) right on lake Fanny Hoe(Fort Wilkins State Park). They have a row boat that comes with the cabin. My wife and I went a week after Labor Day 2014 and were fortunate to have warm weather and sunny skies, empty campground. It was like paradise, we had the lake to our self and at night would drive up Brockway Mountain to see the northern lights dance across Lake Superior. The moonlight would shine down on Lake Fanny Hoe right in front of our cabin, and it looked so peaceful. Large pileated woodpeckers would come right up to the cabin. The last day a powerful storm with gale force winds knocked out the power and we had to "rough it" for awhile. The waves were a site to see on Lake Superior, very tall waves! Almost knocked me over standing on the beach. Driving through towns like Calumet were interesting, seemed eerie...all the buildings and very few people.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:20 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker46 View Post
Well Calumet which used to be known as Red Jacket and the neighboring town Laurium which used to be known as Calumet (kind of confusing) both used to be much larger a hundred years ago and while they've shrunk since then the buildings are mostly still there even if the people aren't. Together they had a population of about 13,000 in 1910 and last census it's down to about 2500 both towns together.
There just aren't as many people needed for forestry, mining and agricultural operations anymore. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact of technological advancement. So people move out of those industries and into others, it frees them up to do other things and it's unfortunate that so many have moved out of the Midwest in general. I think it'll make a comeback though with people seeking lower costs of living and different lifestyles that don't always necessarily revolve around work and super high incomes.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 873,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Reading this thread also reminded me of another poster who seems to have left citydata, Jimandthom. I so much enjoyed reading about their adventure in moving to the Soo. Hope they, as well as the OP, are happy in their chosen locations.
Dats us---- still here and happily so. Responded on another thread about goings on that sadly may require us to move down below.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:13 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,924 times
Some similarities in the dynamics on Beaver Island. A lot of younger, healthy retirees move here, then reluctantly move off years later due to medical issues that are too complicated to deal with remotely. But not one of the people I know who had to leave, regretted having lived here while they could. I’ve lived my dream now for almost a decade. Even if it someday comes to a screeching halt - they can’t take that away from me. Glad to hear you had some years of living where you wanted to live, and hope you find a great new place, if needs must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan