Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM

124 posts, read 477,054 times

Advertisements

ok, I know I'm probably sick...but even with the record snow fall you guys have right now and as much as I don't want to mess with the cold and bad roads...I still miss it. Maybe I just need to focus on our current temps out here to get me outta this funk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM

259 posts, read 823,189 times
Ill move to AZ and you can come back here, lol. Im looking at getting out of here hopefully this summer after I turn 21.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:42 AM

124 posts, read 477,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
Ill move to AZ and you can come back here, lol. Im looking at getting out of here hopefully this summer after I turn 21.
I did the same thing...graduated from college and go the "heck out of dodge" so to speak. I say go exploring while you can . You may find somewhere that suits you better..you may also find yourself homesick (as hard as that is to believe now) I LOVE AZ...but it's not, and may not ever be home.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Oh yeah, you have to get out and see the rest of the country while you are able to do so. I have been all over this country and have lived from the far Northeast to the deep South, The Southwest and anyplace in between those, I have spent some time. I also couldn't wait to get out of Michigan. When I got married, the new wife wanted to see where I grew up, so we went back for a vacation. She fell in love with the area and asked if I ever considered moving back. I looked at her like she suddenly grew a grotesque second head and answered that wild horses couldn't drag me back. Fast forward a few years and we were back living in West Michigan, very happily I might add, when my parents in Maine needed some help. We left 2 years ago and honestly are counting the days until we get back to West Michigan on June 23rd for good. (114 days if you are interested)

Old 02-29-2008, 02:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Western Michigan is in my top 5 places in the country, it truly is beautiful and if I could I would retire there in a heartbeat, even though I love Chicagoland. Everything from Traverse City to the Sleeping Bear Dunes to Lake Michigan, etc, etc, etc... mmmm I love western Michigan to death.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 11,485 times
My wife grew up in East Grand Rapids and we now live in Boston. We've got a 2 year old boy and are planning on having more. We want to move back to the area to raise our children there.

The hard part is she can't find a job! I have my own business and would be bringing it with me (internet marketing and development) but we've relied on her job for the benefits. We both have MBAs.

She has been trying for 6 months now and hasn't had any luck yet. It will happen eventually, but in the meantime it's been very frustrating.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:20 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
My wife grew up in East Grand Rapids and we now live in Boston. We've got a 2 year old boy and are planning on having more. We want to move back to the area to raise our children there.

The hard part is she can't find a job! I have my own business and would be bringing it with me (internet marketing and development) but we've relied on her job for the benefits. We both have MBAs.

She has been trying for 6 months now and hasn't had any luck yet. It will happen eventually, but in the meantime it's been very frustrating.
Just curious. In what field Murfman?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 AM

She currently works for the federal gov as an auditor/analyst.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
She currently works for the federal gov as an auditor/analyst.
Hmm, it seems like there are a lot of financial analyst positions available right now. Did she try indeed.com? Or maybe go directly to some firms like Plante&Moran, Crowe Chizek, Beene Garter, BDO Siedman, etc. if she doesn't mind going into the private sector for an accounting firm. She might not make what she makes now in Boston, but cost of living is probably considerably less.

Spartan Stores has an opening, for instance:

Spartan Stores / For Job Seekers / Job Opportunities

And Plante & Moran has several:

https://planteandmoran.recruitmax.co...hType=Advanced

Or she could try Spectrum Health. They're adding over 1500 jobs over the next few years.

Careers & Volunteering (http://www.spectrum-health.org/cs/Satellite?c=eHA_Content_P&cid=1156885181086&pagena me=Spectrum_Health_Core%2FSpectrum_Core_Central_Te mplate - broken link)

Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Magellan, thank you very much for your suggestions. I will pass them on to my wife.

We're definitely aware that her salary will likely be much less than what she makes here but as you say, the cost of living (and housing) is much lower than what we're experiencing here.

That's what we find kind of funny. The cost of living is lower in part because the demand in general to live there isn't as high as say Boston, NY, SF or LA. However, we WANT to move there because we know what a great area it is and we're having such trouble getting it done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan