Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 05:28 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Chicago is not called the windy city because of the vast plains west of it. The origins are unclear but one theory involved dignitaries and speeches.

In any case Chicago isn't any windier than Detroit and neither one hits the top 100 of cities over 50000.
But the number of tall buildings in the downtown area can create tunneling effects that make it seem windy when you are walking a block with the tunneling effect. But that can happen in any city with tall buildings.

Wind and cold become an issue when people are underdressed for the weather/wind-chill.

Being underdressed or underprepared can make you anything from uncomfortable to dead.

As someone who worked outside in the winter for more than 25 years my policy was always to have something warm in my truck I didn't think I needed to wear just to be safe.
I disagree, downtown Chicago is one of the windiest/coldest cities I've been in in the wintertime (other than Minneapolis). New York City has the same tunneling of wind but it's not the same climate as Chicago. I can't remember the last time I was in downtown Detroit in the winter. Maybe never.

Either way, the OP didn't mention moving to downtown Detroit or downtown Chicago, and did not mention working outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 07:33 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Oh, the joy of getting to wear coats. Oregon has so very few days that are cold enough to need a coat. BTW, wool socks are great.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I am in Downtown Detroit nearly every weekday and some weekends. It is not all that windy in Detroit in the winter. There are some days with wind, but nothing like Chicago. They call it the windy city for a reason.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:38 AM

196 posts, read 302,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I disagree, downtown Chicago is one of the windiest/coldest cities I've been in in the wintertime (other than Minneapolis). New York City has the same tunneling of wind but it's not the same climate as Chicago. I can't remember the last time I was in downtown Detroit in the winter. Maybe never.

Either way, the OP didn't mention moving to downtown Detroit or downtown Chicago, and did not mention working outside.
As a native Chicagoan who has also lived in Michigan, Magellan is correct (except perhaps about the "Windy City" moniker's origins). The moderating effect of relatively warm LM water does help increase air temps a bit on the Michigan side. The western suburbs of Chicago, buffeted by unimpeded prairie winds to the west, can see highs of 10-15 deg while SW Michigan towns are seeing 20's.

And the acceleration of the wind though the 3-D maze of downtown skyscrapers is a real effect, and is accentuated by the lack of direct sunshine in downtown (even on a sunny day, the granite canyon restricts direct sunlight quite a bit).

Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I don't wear long underwear unless participating in a sport. But boots. High boots for tall fluffy snow, weatherproof boots for slush, boots that aren't so beefy its dangerous to drive, boots to snow blow in. Spend some time thinking about boots

Parking lots can get slushy if/when it warms up during the day. Ice rink at night. Good traction is nice.

Felt slippers are nice for inside.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am in Downtown Detroit nearly every weekday and some weekends. It is not all that windy in Detroit in the winter. There are some days with wind, but nothing like Chicago. They call it the windy city for a reason.
Apparently it's not called the "windy city" because of all the wind. We've been schooled.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:18 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
I work from home in my cold shop, and I stay warmest with a nice cap that goes over the ears and a Carhart jacket with hoodie

Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 AM

Oh BTW, yes you can buy all of your winter gear for kids at salvation army. We have 5 kids and when we moved back here form California I was not about to spend $5,000 on winter clothing. Salvation army = fancy brand names at 4% of the retail price (give or take), plus you are helping out a good cause. Goodwill is ok too but they have higher prices and feed more to he money to executives. If you can find one St. Vincent De Paul stores are usually awesome. I am not sure what the money they raise is for. Yard sales can be great but prices are all over the place and you may have to go to 50 of them to find what you are looking for. Last resort are the commercial retail shops. They charge 4 to 10 times Salvation Army prices because they have to make a profit. No one is supporting them with donations.

After your first year, go to Meijers near the end of winter (do not wait until spring). their winter clothing will be as much as 75% off. Most places have out of season discounts, but no one seems to discount as deeply as Meijers. Just a warning though, when all of our kids were fully dependent, my wife never seemed to get our of Meijers for less than $500, even if she just went to get some bacon (Kroger has better bacon btw).

Start out with the basics, you will build up more. We have boxes of gloves one big box is matched pairs one is single glove we need to hunt down the match to or throw out. I have all kinds of different types of gloves. Work gloves, ski/snowmobile gloves, dress gloves, mild weather gloves severe weather gloves. Most of our kids were in band so they have special gloves for that (either fingerless, or mittens where the top velcros away and folds back. I probably have 9 coats, most are for various specialized purposes. I have two work suits like a mechanic wears, why, two different people bought them for me. A few are because someone gave me a better one, but the old one is still serviceable. I will donate a few this year. Hats scarves and gloves you will need some spares, especially with kids. They tend to leave them all over the place. I do not have any boots or very few, but that is because my son has the same shoe size as me and he worked at his college shoveling snow. He wore out his boots and came home and "borrowed" mine. then he wore those out, and Borrowed my other pair. I might have some someplace but I am not sure whether there are any left. If you use rubbers whih slip over your dress shoes, no one will borrow those.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-17-2018 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 AM

You have to be careful about overdressing. I have some of those nice flannel lined jeans form Bean, but they are too warm inside (also the liner will tear after a while then whenever you put them out your toes will hook in the torn liner. - Grr). Long underwear is the same, you certainly do not want to wear long underwear if you work inside.

those big heavy socks make me uncomfortable and some give me blisters. I prefer to wear two pairs of regular socks. Then if you get too warm you can remove one pair.

Layering is critical. Not only is it warmer (and cheaper) it allows you to adjust your temperature. Way way back I was a competitive cross country skier. I practices late at night after the park where I worked closed. It was super cold, so I typically had three plus layers everywhere. As I warmed up from the exercise, I would peel things off and toss them along the trail. On the way back, as I was slowing and cooling down, I could pick them back up and keep from freezing.

however that is not just important for athletics. What is warm enough for being outside will be too warm in a car. Warm enough for a car is too warm for an office. If you are active, you generate heat and it all stay in your winter clothing, so you get hot pretty quickly. Sweat is bad in the winter.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:04 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
I don't have a winter coat now, but I can layer up for a while. I'll check Value World before I pay Salvation Army's higher prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan