Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 09:38 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I don’t know. How about: Because the guidance is scientifically sane policy regardless of her husband’s actions?

You self-describe in your by-line as a “contrarian and free thinker.” But your question isn’t “contrarian, free thinking.” It’s simply illogical. Whatever the actual story is behind the husband’s faux pas has exactly nothing to do with whether the policy the governor has set is sound.
A narrow scientific focus should not be the sole basis for public policy. Other factors need to be considered. And other governors seem to understand this much better than Whitmer. I’ll even exclude Republican governors for the sake of argument. I would rather have the much more sane and logical responses from numerous other Democratic governors around the country. Also, the media seem to be catching on to the fact that Whitmer’s response is lacking in transparency and isn’t really driven by “facts and data” to the extent that she claims.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...nsparency.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 09:48 PM

21,731 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
A narrow scientific focus should not be the sole basis for public policy. Other factors need to be considered. And other governors seem to understand this much better than Whitmer. I’ll even exclude Republican governors for the sake of argument. I would much rather have the much more sane and logical responses from numerous other Democratic governors around the country.
I see. So a better basis for public policy might could be the opinions of a random, anonymous internet forum poster? Especially given this anonymous guy’s unsubstantiated observations about other governors. Nevermind that 2/3rds of Michigan’s electorate disagrees with Mr. Anonymous.

Oh but wait! The anonymous guy found something on the internet to support his feelings! How convincing is that!?

Old 05-31-2020, 05:22 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I see. So a better basis for public policy might could be the opinions of a random, anonymous internet forum poster? Especially given this anonymous guy’s unsubstantiated observations about other governors. Nevermind that 2/3rds of Michigan’s electorate disagrees with Mr. Anonymous.

Oh but wait! The anonymous guy found something on the internet to support his feelings! How convincing is that!?
Did you check out the link I included?

Aren’t we all just anonymous internet people with opinions?

Old 05-31-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Did you check out the link I included?

Aren’t we all just anonymous internet people with opinions?
Yes, I read your link. It’s an opinion piece. Anyone can find opinions on the internet to support their beliefs.

Are we all anonymous internet people with opinions? If you mean CD forum members, yes. Exactly. And my point. You have expressed an opinion. And your personal opinion isn‘t validated by anything credible in any degree. Meanwhile you are in a significant minority of opinions at this time.

If you are thinking of pointing out my opinion is not validated, I’ll suggest you first find where I have stated any opinion of my own. And if you can find my opinion, figure out if it reflects a majority position, or a minority position.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:31 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
Quote:
A narrow scientific focus should not be the sole basis for public policy. Other factors need to be considered. And other governors seem to understand this much better than Whitmer. I’ll even exclude Republican governors for the sake of argument. I would rather have the much more sane and logical responses from numerous other Democratic governors around the country. Also, the media seem to be catching on to the fact that Whitmer’s response is lacking in transparency and isn’t really driven by “facts and data” to the extent that she claims.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...nsparency.html
I just wish we could get the popo in Michigan to act like the popo in Minnesota for one of these “freedom rallies”.

If the msp broke out their tanks and started shooting the people who were violating the governor’s orders in the kneecaps with paintballs during the rallies I think we’d have a more perfect union. And more freedom to obey. See the video below.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video...n-their-porch/

I wonder if these Minnesota patriots are available to visit that barber in Owosso. He looked like he earned a few.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:33 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Unless a cure is found quickly, eventually all countries and states will take Sweden's approach because the economy can't stay shut indefinitely. The states that are reopening (or never shut) are already taking Sweden's approach. The few states holding out will eventually follow, because without a cure there is no realistic alternative. The lock downs are causing unnecessary trauma, and should never have been implemented.
An article out today that confirms what I said above:

https://news.yahoo.com/world-reopens...ity&soc_trk=ma

'Two months ago, when there were roughly 1 million confirmed coronavirus cases and the primal politics of survival was sweeping the world, shutting down was the order of the day.

This week, the number of cases soared past 7 million, with 136,000 new infections detected Sunday alone, the highest single-day total since the pandemic began.

The order of the day? Reopening.

Terrified after watching economies built over the course of decades hollow out in a matter of weeks, countries seem to be saying, in effect: Enough.'

With regards to Michigan, you can find an interesting graph here:

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_3.html

You have to select Michigan from the drop down menu. Cases peaked the week of April 4th, the lock down was lifted ~June 1st, and new cases have been essentially flat since the week of May 9th. So the lock down was ended 8 weeks after the peak, and after being basically flat for 4 weeks.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
They finally got a recall petition approved. now we may get to find out how much support she has or doesn't have.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:44 PM

544 posts, read 900,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They finally got a recall petition approved. now we may get to find out how much support she has or doesn't have.
I did notice that she hasn't had a COVID press conference in at least 10 days....pretty much the time when it became clear that social conditions excluded her as a possible candidate for VP.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You might find this interesting:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-michigan.html

Whitmer’s approval is still very high ... while Trump’s polling in Michigan is circling the drain. There’s a connection. Whitmer’s not likely in any trouble at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan