Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:08 AM

4 posts, read 23,549 times

Advertisements

I have been reading alot of the posts and am getting a bit worried. I currently live in the DC metro area (MD) and am moving to MI in mid-February. I am moving b/c I need a change of pace and a whole new scene, and I just chose Michigan. I came up there in November and loved it! I will be going up to Saginaw next week to look at rentals. Can someone please be honest with me and tell me the real deal with Saginaw? I don't know why I chose Saginaw, but I know I like the area. I have my BS in accounting so hopefully finding a job won't be too hard. I am a single mom but from what I have read, I fear I may end up regretting the move. I don't want that to happen. My heart is set on Michigan!! Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 06:16 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
I been through Saginaw on 46 coming from the east quite a few times and can tell you the east/southeast side of Saginaw is "rough".The town goes through quite a transformation travelling east to west on 46. (it gets a whole lot nicer) Other than that, i honestly couldn't tell you what it's like.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
My wife grew up in Saginaw, and my in-laws still live in Saginaw Township. The city is having a rough time, and it too had too much concentration of automotive jobs (mainly Delphi). It's metro population also hasn't changed in 35 years, so I don't know what kind of opportunities there are. My wife left and never looked back (except for holidays). We now live in Grand Rapids.

If I HAD to live there, I would definitely look on the West side or Saginaw Township. You'll find the standard big box retailers, a mall, and nice clean neighborhoods.

But frankly, anyone looking at relocating to Michigan without a job lined up already should stay West of Lansing to the lakeshore.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:36 PM

41 posts, read 351,726 times
Default I have live in Saginaw for 33 years.

iamaww,
Saginaw has been a melting pot for the auto-motive industry.
As far as your field, you will do great in this county. The corporate
head quarters for Dow-Chemical is just 20 minutes from Saginaw township.
My wifes cousin make's 100k a year as an accountant at Dow.
There are several towns in Saginaw County to consider.
I will save you a bunch of time. Here is a list of towns to live in or not to.
Great towns 1. (Frankenmuth) High end living lots to do and see,low crime.
2. (Saginaw Township) any area West of Bay Rd. M-84
Malls, ton of restaurants low to medium crime.
3. [Freeland) Small town feel, close to every thing, low crime.
4. (Thomas Township) Small town feel, very low crime.
5. (Hemlock) Very Small town, low crime country living.

Bad Towns Carrolton, Buena Vista, Bridgeport, City of Saginaw.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:11 PM

6 posts, read 29,123 times
Default Saginaw Area

We currently are living in Saginaw. We where transfered here two years ago and are desparetly trying to leave. We lived in Lansing prior to moving here. If you have children this area doesn't offer much. It has a cute zoo that perfect for about 1 1/2 hours walk. I have had trouble at public events parades and fireworks. I'm a quiet person and I don't want my kids to be exposed to fighting and negative behavior by adults. The crime rate here is also very high. There are other areas in Michigan which are wonderful. My sister just moved to DC area two years ago and you will find it a huge change. Try Frankenmouth it's close with no problems. The Saginaw area has taken huge hits by Delphi moving out so it's econmically depressed. Renting is a good idea. Home sales have plummented and there are houses on every street for sale. Lots of auctions too.
Hope this helps not meaning to be negative, but there are better areas that offer more.
IMHO,
Dori

Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 23,549 times
Default Thanks!

thanks for the replies! I am taking all of the advice and praying about it. You all are Great!!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 PM

146 posts, read 640,851 times
Have you checked out Midland?
My friend lives there and thinks it's
the cat's meow. A lot of people do.
Now obviously I love the West side
of the State (Grand Rapids and lakeshore)
and would highly encourage anyone to move
there, but if you insist on the Tri-City
area and Saginaw specifically, PLEASE
do some on site research.
Full discloser:
My last two visits to Saginaw have
included witnessing a very harry police
shoot-out. (I was on 46 East at the stoplight
before the big curve.)
And a scary gang situation after a 9:00 movie
at the theater next to the Fashion Square Mall.
So yes, I am jaded in my opinion, but Saginaw
is a rough place and I don't want this (girl/lady)
moving there thinking any different.
Just my opinion
Midland or Frankenmuth on that side.
Traverse City or Petoskey up north
G.R. or Lakeshore to the west.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 16,231 times
I think perhaps you should log on and read the local newspaper there. My in-laws live there and I have visited quite often. Saginaw is a city in decline. My brother-in-law works for Delphi which is on really shakey ground right now, which is one of Saginaw's major employers. I think the newpaper will tell you what you need to know. There is always Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor. good luck

Old 01-27-2007, 12:53 AM

83 posts, read 953,847 times
This is all very true! I was born in Bethesda and my family moved out to Saginaw when I was in elementary school. I have visted the DC area several times and have been to very rough parts of the southeast, northeast, etc. I would have to argue that there is a side of Saginaw that is far worse than the rest of town but not as rough as parts of the D.C. area! I went to schools on the West side of the river and was always remined to stay of the "east-side" of town. For the most part, this is good advice if you move here becuase the towns/townships around Saginaw are nice but not the the downtown and eastside. Over the past few years it has been normal to watch the news and here of a daily murder or major crime that occurred, almost always on the eastside. On the other hand, the city really has nothing looking up becuase manufactering has abandoned us and unemployment/poverty levels are higher than ever. In my opinion, I think that would like the Detroit area much better!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:22 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
I've honestly never heard anyone set out to move to Saginaw. Not that that's a bad thing, I've just never heard anyone say before that they wanted to move there. I'd so some research on it first... I'm not so sure you can find good jobs in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan