Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 AM

478 posts, read 1,657,978 times

Advertisements

As I've posted before -- if the American Auto Industry closes it's doors it will be devastating for all the US. I woke up to just those words on the News -- they're predicting 2-3 MILLION jobs will be lost in the US, if/when they close their doors. As I mentioned -- the trickle affect.

It's sad to think this is our future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:05 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
Well atleast the CEO big shots have their millions, maybe they'll share the money they "earned" and give it to the hard working men and women who put them in the lavish position they'll enjoy even after the American auto industry is being read its last rights. God bless all those who will now do without after sacrificing for so long so that a handful of greedy people can live the good life. Kinda reminds me of the airline industry too, an industry I left years ago without regret.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Maybe they should take that bailout money they are asking for (to line their pockets before they go down) And use it to train the workers for other jobs available. If they need to relocate, sell their house and get another...use some of that money to help them.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
when a company has losses in a quater of 4.6 billion, there may be nothing else to do but close the doors.

They are bleeding bad and have been for some time, bailout $ is a small bandage on a severed limb. What needs to be done is cut heads at the top, get rid of execs and start HOLDING PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE...unless help accountable for the poor performance they will never change.

Why can a company like GM sell cars overseas better than here? They design and build what the people in those places want but here the same rules don't seem to apply.

Really there should be some serious consequences for the leaders.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 AM

112 posts, read 305,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
As I've posted before -- if the American Auto Industry closes it's doors it will be devastating for all the US. I woke up to just those words on the News -- they're predicting 2-3 MILLION jobs will be lost in the US, if/when they close their doors. As I mentioned -- the trickle affect.

It's sad to think this is our future!
In the long run, the most auto maker jobs from the Big3 will be achieved by letting them go bankrupt and allowing them to rebuild much better companies. They are too far gone now for adjustments.

But, odds are that won't occur. It appears far more likely that they will be partially or totally owned by the federal government in the not too distant future...something akin to AmTrak or the US Postal Service needing massive funding for...well....forever.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,191 times
I saw your Governor this morning on CNBC talking about this. The interview was horrible and she did nothing to help. She kept talking about "the last 8 years" as if she was trying to blame the Bush administration - I don't know - but it was odd. She also kept talking about the current economy being to blame? She brought nothing to the table IMO and is not a good spokesperson for the state of MI. The American auto industry has been in trouble for decades and throwing money at a dying business is NOT going to solve the problem. Also, you can't force folks to buy autos they don't want.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
I saw your Governor this morning on CNBC talking about this. The interview was horrible and she did nothing to help. She kept talking about "the last 8 years" as if she was trying to blame the Bush administration - I don't know - but it was odd. She also kept talking about the current economy being to blame? She brought nothing to the table IMO and is not a good spokesperson for the state of MI. The American auto industry has been in trouble for decades and throwing money at a dying business is NOT going to solve the problem. Also, you can't force folks to buy autos they don't want.

What do you mean? Our Governor excells at these things. No one is better at blamining others and offering no solutions. Her solution was for the government to pay movie companies to make movies here so that she can meet movie stars. She kinda missed the fact that a dozen other states had the same idea ten years ago and have been working on it since then.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:48 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
The ramifications would be quite bizarre. Despite the fact that U.S. automakers' market share is shrinking, they still build about half of the 16 Million or so cars sold every year in the U.S., and most of the trucks. Who's going to fill that gap? There's no way foreign automakers can ramp up fast enough to fill a hole like that any time soon (5 - 10 years minimum). Prices for foreign cars will skyrocket as demand shifts, and waiting lists for new cars will become commonplace.

I really don't see the Feds letting it get to that.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
The American auto industry has been in trouble for decades and throwing money at a dying business is NOT going to solve the problem. Also, you can't force folks to buy autos they don't want.
Getting people to buy a GM, Ford, or Chrylser is not the problem, it is getting credit for the car!! Nobody can get the credit to buy any new cars right now, not even the Japanese, German, or Korean autos. If the companies can get through these next few years and begin to make a profit then they will be up and running again.

First they need this relief money to get them through 2010.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What do you mean? Our Governor excells at these things. No one is better at blamining others and offering no solutions. Her solution was for the government to pay movie companies to make movies here so that she can meet movie stars. She kinda missed the fact that a dozen other states had the same idea ten years ago and have been working on it since then.
I cannot stand her. Seriously, I am happy that she was born in Canada and can't EVER be president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan