Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 AM

36 posts, read 148,204 times

Advertisements

I graduate in May with a Masters and am looking at Austin Texas. I am also checking out jobs in Florida, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, and California. I have gotten interviews with GM, Ford, and other companies in Michigan and have turned them down. I am so sick of the weather here there is nothing that could get me to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Our new job is taking us to Wilmington, NC. We have no family up here so hubby took the buy out that Detroit Edison offered last fall.

Even moving to Wilmington will put us a day's drive from half our family (8 hours) and 5-6 hours from the other half but it's still closer than 12-15 hours that we are now.

Also the weather will be better for my health...cold and I no longer agree with each other. Liz

Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM

41 posts, read 249,635 times
Default The weather

Hello. The weather in south isn't much better as ya'll think. Everyone forget what take place June 1 down south. I lived in south for 6 years in that time I rebuild a house twice which I lost from a hurricane. I would stay clear of NC in less your inland. As the states show NC/Sc due for a major one again. There winter sucks too as one day it be 60 and next day 30. The temp go up and down all winter and summer are very hot. As for here you go out side come spring in the south everyone runs inside to turn air. dang add 400 a month during the summer to your bills for that. Oh lower taxes better check that out again for everyone running to Texas for that as its not true. Just something to think about. have to remember wages are lower in south because its right to work states. The south don't have a good support of unions either. I'm return to Michigan after I left in 2001 to south.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:08 PM

18 posts, read 108,350 times
Try Florida..if you don't mind heat and hurricanes!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
As for here you go out side come spring in the south everyone runs inside to turn air. dang add 400 a month during the summer to your bills for that.
Okay, so up here we spend that on HEAT instead? And from October to sometimes May.

Oh, and in most places the cost of electricity is cheaper down there.

Quote:
The temp go up and down all winter and summer are very hot.
Which is typical of most places. It was almost 80 here this weekend and now 45. Isn't that up and down? Here the winters can be very cold...a few years ago it stayed in the 10's for an entire month.

Quote:
Just something to think about. have to remember wages are lower in south because its right to work states. The south don't have a good support of unions either.
Actually that has a lot going FOR it, not against it. Unions are killing this state. Liz

Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM

41 posts, read 249,635 times
Florida and most of south in hurricane country have an insurance problem now. Very hard to get coverage on a house. If you can have it with the same company for than a year very hard to do good luck with that. Just read the Florida and the TX site about property taxes and the bad school they have.The house i own in TX i pay over 9,000 a year in property taxes. Even in tx i couldn't even shop around for a new insurance quote for a lower as all company but one stopped taking new customers.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
patrick farrell,
I lived in Texas (Between Houston and Galveston) for about a year before I moved to California. The biggest problem is the Humidity. It was so bad I literaly could not breath. I could`nt stand it.

Check the Austin City forum
http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/

Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick farrell View Post
I graduate in May with a Masters and am looking at Austin Texas. I am also checking out jobs in Florida, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, and California. I have gotten interviews with GM, Ford, and other companies in Michigan and have turned them down. I am so sick of the weather here there is nothing that could get me to stay.
I can't say enough good things about Austin. That place is just plain awesome. South Carolina is pretty nice too...Florida is a mess, only been to Western N. Carolina, very beautiful, kinda expensive, people are kinda different there.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:07 AM

146 posts, read 641,043 times
I too love Austin, but man-o-man do you have a long, hot, humid summer.
It's also very expensive to live anywhere 'cool' in the city. If you're a techie
making big bucks though, its a great place to live. San Antonio is a nice alternative.
As far as S.C. goes I'm a big Charleston fan. I also like Hilton Head, of course, but that's not somewhere you're likely to work. I was surprised to see Myrtle Beach on some business magazines list of best places to start a company. Just my personal opinion, but I would be pretty leery of anywhere inland S.C. Inland N.C and inland S.C are two different animals.
Just across the border you also have Savannah, whose historic district is one of my favorite places in the country. Savannah is also on that 'best places' list.
In all of these places (except Austin) hurricanes are a concern. If you're on the water, rent.
If you haven't thought of, or been to Nashville, I would give it a look. That has become a kick-*** city.
P.S. ABF (Anywhere but Florida)
Good Luck!

Last edited by Wabbit; 04-26-2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,926 times
I live in Royal Oak mi and have lived in Michigan all of my life. I think we should all stop paying state and federal taxes. We as tax payers are paying the state and local governments to do a job that they are frankly not doing. Im paying you taxes to bail out these millionares on wall street that got us into this mess. What about us the backbone of this country the hard working middle and lower class. These people make millions and were worried about there jobs but not the people who live week to week. Its total bull ****t!!! I am a construction worker and unless I am a mexican or willing to work for min wage I cant get work. There arnt enough jobs to go around for the people who are already here but lets keep giving out visas and not getting rid of the illegals. But hey heres some more tax money. Is anybody else wondering what the hell where doing as a country. If you want a job dont move out of state move out of country. O but the europeans are smart they wont let you just move over there and take their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan