Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:24 PM

530 posts, read 1,550,980 times

Advertisements

Thinking “out of the box”.

Building a very large Water Treatment Facility - an engineering wonder, if you will - in the center of Lake St. Clair would be to Michigan’s Advantage.

Using 48” diameter pipes originating from LSC or Lake Huron, Michigan could feed the product to the Eastern half of the U.S.A. From Augusta to Tallahassee to Jackson to Springfield, Michigan can supplement them all.

(Perhaps an engineer can run the calculations - impacts on the Niagara hydroelectric power plant.)

Michigan sends water. Michigan receives natural gas or oranges, for example. Cheap NG would allow lower manufacturing costs to plummet; who wouldn’t love oranges - 10 for a nickel? Michigan would become very, very wealthy.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
thinking “out of the box”.

Building a very large water treatment facility - an engineering wonder, if you will - in the center of lake st. Clair would be to michigan’s advantage.

Using 48” diameter pipes originating from lsc or lake huron, michigan could feed the product to the eastern half of the u.s.a. From augusta to tallahassee to jackson to springfield, michigan can supplement them all.

(perhaps an engineer can run the calculations - impacts on the niagara hydroelectric power plant.)

michigan sends water. Michigan receives natural gas or oranges, for example. Cheap ng would allow lower manufacturing costs to plummet; who wouldn’t love oranges - 10 for a nickel? Michigan would become very, very wealthy.

Thoughts?
no!!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
They want the water, they can move to Michigan.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
I agree with the others. No freakin way.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:37 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default Water Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
Thinking “out of the box”.

Building a very large Water Treatment Facility - an engineering wonder, if you will - in the center of Lake St. Clair would be to Michigan’s Advantage.

Using 48” diameter pipes originating from LSC or Lake Huron, Michigan could feed the product to the Eastern half of the U.S.A. From Augusta to Tallahassee to Jackson to Springfield, Michigan can supplement them all.

(Perhaps an engineer can run the calculations - impacts on the Niagara hydroelectric power plant.)

Michigan sends water. Michigan receives natural gas or oranges, for example. Cheap NG would allow lower manufacturing costs to plummet; who wouldn’t love oranges - 10 for a nickel? Michigan would become very, very wealthy.

Thoughts?
I understand your where your coming from in a economic sense. Michigan's economy is on the rocks and needs to fine new avenues to jump start it economy. In fact when I was first making suggestion about how Michigan could turn itself around, I had the idea of a state run water bottling company and that great lakes residents could receive some of the economic benefit for water sold.
But now as you can see with the previous replies that type of idea will not fly with most the of the population of the great lakes states. If you really want to get into the why there is such opposition to this "water diversion" idea. please read:

1.The Great lakes water wars
Great Lakes Water Wars

2. One the brink (the great lakes in the 21st century)
Dave Dempsey

I believe these books give you a background of what has happened over the last 100 years or so. And help explain why there is some much push back to diverting what from the Great lakes basin.

Also you can watch "Flow" (for the love of water.) Granted most of the movie is not about Michigan or the great lakes. But toward the end they talk about some Michigan residents fighting against Nestle for the rights to "divert" water out of the great lakes region.

W.O.L.F.avi

To be fair though here is nestle response to the film.

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/pdf/NWNA_Statment_FLOW_release.pdf (broken link)

Nestle Waters North America Video response to the move Flow

Also right now the great lakes over all are at historical lows right now. Now whether this is because of environmental change and water diversion or it because of natural cycle of the ebb and flow of the lakes are up for debate at this point. But there seems to be some very concerned citizens out there at this point. So trying to get them to go along with a "diversion" I believe will be hard to do.

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/greatl...elsEnglish.pdf

Lastly just as an aside here's a nice (but older) film that show just how beautiful lake superior is. It name is "Water Walker." Though a great film about how awe inspiring Lake superior is I have to admit the music and the dialog is stale. Also sorry it in parts. I couldn't find it any other way.

Bill Mason Waterwalker - A Canoeing Odyssey - Google Video

Old 03-14-2009, 10:33 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
I love the thought. I think the whole "lake levels" thing is a bunch of hoo-haa, and the Great Lakes are overhyped.

We can become like the drought-stricken Southeast. I mean, isn't that what we're striving for?

lake lanier drought - Google Image Search

I like this one. The last ditch effort to get the hull into some kind of water:

So yes, in conclusion, we should reap the short-term rewards for perpetuating unsustainable growth patterns in the Southeastern United States, while at the same time destroying our own fresh water supply and playground.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
I was talking to some friends a while ago about this subject, and we also came up with the idea (maybe far-fetched) but if we did start catering to everyone who wanted our water, would we then have to worry about some kind of terrorism to our lakes? Would some crazy group then try to poison our lakes knowing that it is being diverted to so many people?

Those pictures are pretty scary Maggelan. That would suck sooo bad!

Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
They want the water, they can move to Michigan.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 AM

222 posts, read 810,814 times
Default Water: the Next Battleground

I have thought for a while that after oil, water would be the next natural resource states (and maybe countries) would fight over. The problem is that we seem to be coming up with some alternatives to oil: what's the alternative when you run out of water?

Now, if we start seeing higher than average rain and snowfall and the lakes start rising again, I might consider letting some go, but seems like we just started getting back to "normal" levels after years of being low. Why would we let other states suck us dry? Then what do we have to offer?

Water is our advantage: when it starts running out elsewhere (Vegas, Phoenix, Californian, the Southeast) the Midwest is going to start looking pretty good as a place to live again. You say we have no jops here? What jobs existed in some of those places before people started moving in large numbers there? If people get thirsty and start moving here by the tens of thousands there will be jobs . . . even if it's just keeping all of the "newbies" penned up somewhere.

Last edited by michiganbob; 03-16-2009 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
No offense, but this is the worst idea ever. Literally.
Water is a finite resource. We should not be shipping it all over creation for a short-term gain. Then when Magellan's pictures became the reality, we'd be left with nothing.

Thanks but no thanks. I'm 100% in favor of using the water here to help drive businesses that need it (for cooling, or agriculture or quality-of-life) but shipping it out to other states is a terrible idea.

People are welcome move here and start businesses, put down roots, and use the water.
Shipping it away would be our death knell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan