Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:40 PM

53 posts, read 177,515 times

Advertisements

Oh, and another incident I forgot to mention! I was at the gas station right there next to the liquor store (at night) and some punks were driving around shooting BB guns (pistols) at us!! It was f'ed up!

Of course when you see somebody holding a piece out the window, you think it real! It was scary. But at least it was just a BB gun, and me and my friend didn't get hit (guess they had bad aim).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:05 PM

53 posts, read 177,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms hcredlips View Post
Pontiac is suffering from the bad economy as well. I live in Pontiac. It has its nice areas and its bad areas. Many foreclosures. But some great deals if you look around.
As for the schools- here's the good news! It's getting better! WE ARE AN URBAN SCHOOL DISTRICT! We have downsized our schools- made more efficient- not more crowded! (We had room for 20,000 + students and only have 7100). We have quality education programs in place, teachers continuing professional development, school uniforms, etc. We are looking Up and forward! Hope to spread the word!
And more good news- we have a newly formed PONTIAC PROMISE ZONE AUTHORITY that has already raised more than $60K of the 750K required to enable our PONTIAC SCHOOL DISTRICT STUDENTS the opportunity to attend up to 4 years of a local or state college 100% Tuition Free! We are hoping the New Pontiac High Schools Seniors will be the First to receive this Wonderful opportunity! The catch- PONTIAC SCHOOL DISTRICT!! By the way I AM a Pontiac School Board Trustee and I take that position very seriously! Our children are our business and our future!
Check us out! Call Oakland ISD, MASB.
It takes all of us working together to help succeed. Let's quit trashing Pontiac. Where there is opportunity, there is opportunity to be successful.
That's all fine and dandy, but when I lived in Pontiac, there was a mass assault on a teacher by students. They basically jumped their teacher during class and beat the crap out of him!!

I've seen some pretty messed up stuff in Pontiac. I remember watching a high school girl get jumped by 7 other teenage girls! It was not a nice fight. Talking w/ the kids I worked w/, they said jumping people is not uncommon at all.

Of course, this can happen in any city, I know that. I guess I just have issue w/ Pontiac because I almost lost my life there during a violent crime.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 AM

850 posts, read 1,898,822 times
more pontiac trouble......
since the mall in pontiac is nearly abandoned, people have migrated to great lakes crossing. my cousin and her husband were there on a saturday night, killing time before their movie. she said there were a gang of 20 somethings at the food court. there were also 2 babies in this group. another gang of people walk by and they start shouting at each other. before you know it a huge fight breaks out, one of the girls throws her baby on the ground to start hitting someone. a guy grabs the baby and is throwing punches while holding the baby!!

if you want to be a frickin' hoodlum, i guess that's your choice. but WHY would you bring another child into the same environment?? those babies have no chance.

great lakes crossing is right next to pontiac.....right on the border. i don't care if the schools are turning around, there are too many unhappy people there, and you tell just by looking at it.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
If I were you I would choose Waterford itself. The area is much nicer, close to everything and MUCH cheaper than Clarkston.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:44 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
The arrow on your map seems to be indicating the area called Indian Village. That area is sad, it once was nice. At this point, I would recommend you do whatever possible to avoid living in Pontiac proper, or any area immediately adjacent. Pontiac had been struggling for years before the economy went sour, and it has only gotten worse.

Go west or north of that area by several miles at least.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM

428 posts, read 800,491 times
Not the best area but not the worst either. Definately stay west of Telegraph, and the further west the Better. The side of Waterford nearer to White Lake or Clarkston is better.

Indian Village is still a decent neighborhood by Pontiac standards....but that's a low standard. I wouldn't recommend Pontiac.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,228 times
I am looking to maybe purchase property on Elizabeth Lake Rd in Pontiac right off Telegraph. I've heard some pretty disturbing things about Pontiac. I worked in the city of Pontiac many years ago and I grew up in Detroit. The area is nice and the property is a good buy. The area is Indian Village close to the court house, new sub division, and a shopping plaza. I was over there last week and saw some people walking their dogs they didn't seem to worried. Can someone please provide some insight on this area in particular? I will not put my children in the school district this is basically a place to live. I work in Detroit and I shop in my current neighborhood. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 9,228 times
Is Indian Village Off Telegraph on Elizabeth Lake Rd a decent area? Does the crime spill over into that area?

Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 AM

46 posts, read 125,547 times
Stonegate (the new subdivision that's being talked about) is one of the more nicer and desirable areas of Pontiac and also one of the newer neighborhoods of the city (it's the area where the old Clinton Valley mental facility used to be, the Fairlawne Center which was nearby was recently demolished according to family that live there). Of course the neighborhood south of it (between Stonegate and Indian Village) is IMO the worst neighborhood of Pontiac. Liberty St. that runs through that area is well-known for drug activity so it's a problem area for sure.

Indian Village itself is still decent but was hit hard by foreclosures so that's something to think about.

Pontiac itself has gotten a bit better crime-wise since the Oakland Sheriffs took over the policing and arrests were up as soon as they took over. There's still talks of new developments for downtown and grants to clean up areas that may make the city more attractive to live in. However with the School District (which would be better off just going bankrupt and starting over IMO) and the financial situation with the city itself - Pontiac may not be the best place to move too until things get cleaned up and settled.

Last time I was in Waterford was a few months ago and the area near Summit Place is a bit shady (not bad but run-down in some ways) but like others said; the best areas in Waterford are in the Western neighborhoods.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM

95 posts, read 240,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneyde View Post
I am looking at relocating from the Flint area, and was wondering what this neighborhood is like. This is a new subdivision and it looks like it's far enough away from pontiac to be safe, but it's still pontiac schools so I'm worried about the property value. Anyone know anything about this area?
The area you highlighted on the map is within the city limits of Pontiac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan