Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:23 PM

293 posts, read 849,634 times

Advertisements

There was an article in the Detroit News not too long ago about the job outlook for Michigan teachers. It said that 75 percent of MI education graduates won't be able to get jobs in state.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070312/SCHOOLS/703120328/1026 (broken link)

Kalamazoo *might* have more opportunities than other cities because of the new Kalamazoo Promise program they started, but I'm guessing that they likely have more than enough applicants already. I'm not posting this to be discouraging, but overall the job market for teachers in this state is really tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 08:34 PM

136 posts, read 620,891 times
Default Kalamazoo

I'm not sure about the teaching position stats, but want to get my 2 cents worth in on Kazoo. I looked closely at this town last year, visiting for several days, and decided not to consider it. The center of town isn't all that functional, a problem with many towns these days, but I don't want to travel to malls on the far outskirts to get groceries. And it appeared to me to be one of the more segregated places I've visited. Also, I was walking just two blocks north and west of the main downtown area, and was approached by a man trying to sell me drugs, in the middle of the day. (I'm almost 55 and look it.) Too, you'd think that the university there would have more accessible shops, etc., but it really does feel like it was built with the idea of being a high fortress, hard to access and little around it in terms of shops, etc. I don't want to offend any from Kalamazoo; I checked out the place because I've met many great people from the town, but I was disappointed.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voleto View Post
My wife and I are moving to Kalamazoo and I am looking for a job teaching in the area. I am a social studies/ history teacher. Does anyone know what the need is for teachers in this area? Can anyone tell me where I should start looking for jobs? I looked online and I couldn't find much. Thanks for your help.

David
We are originally from Michigan and moved to North Carolina for a job but are now moving back to Michigan where our families are. I am also a History/Social Studies teacher and jobs are scarce in the state. I have been searching and not coming up with much myself. Many jobs have been cut due to population decreases and budget cuts.

Mike

Old 06-04-2007, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 9,739 times
Default kzoo

wow, what's up w/ the haters ??

remember: the reason that michigan is so oversaturated w/ teachers is because three of the nation's top ten teaching schools are in michigan. we produce a lot of good teachers, so the ones that are here want to stay...

michigan's economy, overall, has taken a turn for the worse with the gradual destabilization of the auto industry. these effects are worse the closer to wayne/oakland county one gets. other areas of the state still have unique thriving communities...

further, kzoo is very liberal/progressive. perhaps that's why some people were put off by it ? i've lived here for several years and can say that there are PLENTY of things to keep one busy (i.e. art hop, quality ethnic dining, parks/trails, downtown shopping, etc.).

just like anywhere, it's what you make of it !! think positive

Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I am a certified teacher who is about to leave Michigan due to the lack of jobs (I want to stay...).
I am Elementary Ed with certification in Early Childhood Ed. I also minored in Math and Social Studies and certified 6-8 in both. I can't get a job anywhere. The few jobs that open in the area go to people with "connections". You have to be related to someone or the principal's neighbor to get a job. I live on the Eastern side of the state (Genesee County), but have looked all over the state. The only real options are to get a job with National Heritage Acadamies. The bad side is that the only ones that hire are in bad areas.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 AM

136 posts, read 999,124 times
Post Any luck with the teaching job?

Well, I hope you have read closely the posts on this page. Most of us love the state of Michigan, but between the economy and saturation of teachers, we can not find jobs or the ones we find are undesirable. I must concur with all the posts from other teachers looking for jobs. After seven years of teaching here, my wife and I are looking to move to a place with a healthy economy, that is growing and has opportunities. It is a bittersweet reality of the state of Michigan in general, and especially for teachers.

I was raised in Kazoo, and I think it is a wonderful, (smaller) mid-size city. I prefer Grand Rapids to Kazoo, but, on the whole, I find the west-side of the state to be more progressive and friendly than the east side. I think it is a great place to raise a family. And with the Kalamazoo Promise...WOW!!!
I wish you the best of luck...I would love to hear how it works out for you.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:19 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I know that Charlotte, NC schools have gone up to Michigan to recruit teachers. There was an article in the paper about it.

Consider coming down to Charlotte, NC. There are teaching jobs that they can't fill even with bonus money offered. The bonus money IS offered in the lower achieving schools, but if you are comfortable with that......

Dawn

Old 06-10-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I know that Charlotte, NC schools have gone up to Michigan to recruit teachers. There was an article in the paper about it.

Consider coming down to Charlotte, NC. There are teaching jobs that they can't fill even with bonus money offered. The bonus money IS offered in the lower achieving schools, but if you are comfortable with that......

Dawn
I have two interviews in NC this week. One in Davidson County and one in Gaston County. I want to stay in MI, but unless I want to go back to school, waste 4-5 more years of my life and another $30,000 or so, I have to move....

Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
I'm tired of hearing about education graduates exclusively. Very few college grads can get a job in Michigan, let alone a decent one. All my cousins, and my brother, are studying marketing. I had to go to Ohio to find a full time job, albeit a really crappy one, after various prospects in Chicago and DC fell through.

I'm currently a grad student in Illinois. I get paid to be here, something that Michigan will never do (Michigan State's offered package was subpar).

I dislike the talk by family about moving to places like North Carolina, but my cousins are not going to sit home all day and wait for their parents to come home and scream them off the couch into the garage. People can't live like this. Thanks, UAW and Democratic Party!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I'm tired of hearing about education graduates exclusively. Very few college grads can get a job in Michigan, let alone a decent one.
The Michigan job market is tough for everyone (except medical!), but it is especially bad for teachers. That is why you hear so much about it. More teachers are being laid off than hired. I don't see that happening in any other field. Plus, for the most part, teachers only get hired once a year for a period of 2-3 months. If you don't get a job, you have to wait a whole year before you can try again. You have it better than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan