Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:11 PM

21 posts, read 71,400 times

Advertisements

We visit Petoskey, Boyne Mountain, Traverse City & Charlevoix alot during the year for vacation but now it looks like my husband could have a chance to work in Petoskey. We currently live in metro Detroit and while my husband's job is pretty secure, I'm still really worried about the future of this area. I would love to hear from other transplants from this area to up north. Schools are very important since I have two children. Would we love it or would we feel like we miss home and the vacation is over. Grand Rapids is another area we are considering but I'm not sure about the job situation there. We are midwesterners and feel like we need to stay in this part of the country since it is what we are used to. We never dreamed Detroit would collapse like it has but the brain drain continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 05:20 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,321 times
We left the Metro area in 2006 for a job in East Jordan....and I have never looked back! I absolutely love it up here. You need to be an outdoor lover to truly appreciate living here. I feel like I am on vacation every day!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
I grew up in Charlevoix county. Petoskey is nice but is normally expensive in terms of what you'll give up in current and future salaries compared to anything downstate. The school systems won't have the problems of those downstate but also won't have the revenue for some of the things those schools do. I think Grand Rapids or Traverse City would be better choices.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:22 PM

265 posts, read 801,648 times
I lived in the Metro Detroit Area for 6 years before I moved up north in 2002. I could never live in SE Michigan anymore. It does feel like vacation every day (after work of course). I never go on a summer holiday anymore as I have everything here. Kayaking, biking, hiking, motorcycle riding, windsurfing etc. Repeat. You can do this downstate but it's 100 times better in the north.

I really like the Petoskey/Charlevoix/Boyne City area. You're close to TC, the Leelanau peninsula, Mackinaw City, Lake Huron, the UP and Canada.

If you have a decent income and a steady job, it's very hard to beat northern Michigan. I go to GR a few times a year but the traffic, noise and people drive me nuts within a few hours.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:21 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Life is beautiful! Come see for yourself!

.....and bring your snowsuits!

Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 PM

37 posts, read 143,682 times
Wulf67, What do you think of Petoskey as a retirement abode? Been there in 1995 and saw a suburb called Bay View. We lived all our lives in Toledo, OH.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:20 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
Bay View is really nice but sure used to be a pain for the rest of the community because of the driving bottleneck there. Has this been corrected?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM

119 posts, read 284,795 times
Petoskey is like most of NW Mi. If you have a good income it's great. If you don't it will be a constant struggle. Jump that hurdle, and you've got it made.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:52 PM

261 posts, read 780,723 times
Bay View isnt open in the winter, I believe The Terrace Inn stays open year round as does the Bay View Inn but the rest of the community arrives around Memorial day and are gone by the end of September. Few of the houses are insulated or have heating. I think its a Methodist community and most of the homes are passed down through families.

Jan

Old 09-28-2009, 10:14 AM

271 posts, read 665,048 times
Quote:
Bay View is really nice but sure used to be a pain for the rest of the community because of the driving bottleneck there. Has this been corrected?
I don't have problems with the Bay View bottleneck. If you want to go around it, the roads are there, use them. Charlevoix is something that should be addressed but everybody seems to turn the other cheek.

Quote:
If you have a decent income and a steady job, it's very hard to beat northern Michigan. I go to GR a few times a year but the traffic, noise and people drive me nuts within a few hours.
One thing I like about here is if I want to go somewhere, I just go. It isn't a constant traffic battle right out my front door. And I can take the back way home if I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan