Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 21,133 times

Advertisements

I will be attending MSU in the fall to pursue a professional degree. I don't know where to begin searching for an apartment. Ideally, I would like to live close to campus, but I do NOT want to live near undergrads. I would like an apartment complex that is safe and quiet, where graduate students &/or young professionals live, and that is close to campus or the bus route. Could anyone offer names of some apartment complexes so I can begin my search? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,024,226 times
You'll avoid undergrads by looking on the outskirts of campus - Haslett, Okemos, Mason. Haslett usually has some good choices off Marsh Rd / Saginaw Hwy areas, and are within a reasonable distance to campus.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM

98 posts, read 145,608 times
Yeah, anywhere near campus, especially by grand river and "downtown" east lansing is all undergrad and popular choices for partying. You'll have to go to the surrounding area. If you look at Haslett and Okemos, you might as well look in Lansing, near Cooley law and LCC also. The one runs down Michigan ave or you can drive.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,424,997 times
Also look into Grand Ledge and De Witt.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:15 PM

93,533 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Also look into Grand Ledge and De Witt.
True....Holt, Mason or the Waverly/Delta township area too

Old 04-10-2010, 07:18 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,949,208 times
Lake Lansing Road area of East Lansing is just at the edge of town, easy bike ride or bus commute to campus via Abbott Road, Hagadorn Road, or Harrison Road which all run down to campus.
There are several nice complexes that are very safe, close to accessing highways, and close to grocery stores, strips malls, restaurants that students don't frequent often, and a huge Meijers. If you look at a map or google you might be able to see the complexes marked along Lake Lansing Road. You might want to check Craigs list as well, since many people are not able to sell condos or houses, there are many options for renting in established neighborhoods, away from the undergrad., but still accessible and safe to campus. The areas out near Okemos/Holt etc. are also possibilities, but traffic seems to be more of an issue in those areas.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 PM

206 posts, read 383,296 times
Default Closer (but not *too* close) is probably better

If you want to be near other grad/professional students, then stick with E. Lansing, Lansing and Okemos/Haslett. The other communities, while (mostly) lovely, are too far afield for the intense hours that grad students spend on campus, and are generally geared more toward families than singles. If you had said that you were bringing your spouse and children I would give different advice.

As long as you are not walking-distance to campus, you won't really be in the "student ghetto". Generally the neighborhoods immediately north and east of campus are the most problematic. Go west or northwest and you won't have a problem; skip a little further north or east and that's fine, too (there just isn't that much to the south--MSU's fields stretch for miles).

DTN is one of the biggest management companies, so you could start there; you might also want to contact your program and ask to be put in touch with some current students. They will have by far the best data on where YOUR peers like to live. If possible get more than one opinion, so you can figure out what best fits what you're looking for--i.e. do you value hardwood floors or a garbage disposal more highly? quiet or being within walking distance of restaurants? are you looking for a complex that is its own, enclosed community, or do you want to be part of a larger city-scene? There are tons of rentals around MSU, so you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM

6 posts, read 21,133 times
Thank you for all of your advice and input!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,024,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post
If possible get more than one opinion, so you can figure out what best fits what you're looking for--i.e. do you value hardwood floors or a garbage disposal more highly? quiet or being within walking distance of restaurants? are you looking for a complex that is its own, enclosed community, or do you want to be part of a larger city-scene? There are tons of rentals around MSU, so you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

A friend of mine that came in from Cali for grad school was in contact with her adviser early on to get get local contacts of students and professors who could help, and that was a life saver for her. Great idea.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 PM

26 posts, read 56,110 times
I agree with looking along Lake Lansing. There are some apartment complexes right next to Meijer (grocery store) just to the west of Harrison Rd.

Google Map the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan