Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:57 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,436,987 times

Advertisements

what if a former USN SEAL that served on the SEAL TEAMS for 6 years tried to enlist in the USMC when he got out of the navy? would he still be required to complete Marine boot camp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:33 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,867,531 times
Yes. There may have been a time when that wasn't true. I've only met one Marine who did not go through basic training and he was an army ranger or green beret or something along those lines. He recently retired after 30 years of service and I remember hearing that he was the only Marine in the Marine Corps who didn't have to go through basic.

Just to verify I will ask this question, though. I probably won't have an answer until next week as all the "old guys" are TAD for the rest of the week.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:11 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,164,290 times
Interesting question to ask. It would certainly raise some interesting questions from the Marines, lol.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 PM

25 posts, read 60,340 times
In 2001 I was at boot camp in Parris Island SC, we had 2 Army soldiers in our company.... 1 was a Ranger and the other was an office person... They had to start all over, they were not allowed to wear any rank, or ribbions untill they became full Marines after the Crucible. At Graduation they had all there prior service ribons and there higher rank than all ther basic Marines. (the Ranger was automatically a Cpl. E4 I believe he told me once he was an E5 in the Army but had to take a lower ranking but was able to be a NCO.) They were really put on the spot due to there prior service and were constantly being held to higher standards than the regular recruits.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 AM

37,246 posts, read 60,976,905 times
I have known a few seals. My understanding has been that they lead a very rugged lifestyle. Each seal usually leaves the team when their disabilities accumulate to such a level that they are no longer physically capable of doing the job.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 AM

467 posts, read 1,518,229 times
They would have to go to boot camp. The issue is not just skills - the SEAL would have all of the basic warrior skills taught in boot camp. Marines view basic training as an opportunity to instill the Marine culture, not just teach infantry skills.

Of course, once the former SEAL was a Marine, I'm sure they would be pointed to Force Recon, if they had interests in that area. I have never heard of this scenario, but I could see it for an enlisted SEAL wanting to be an officer - there are so few special ops officer slots in the Navy, that the Marines might seem like a good choice.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,331 times
Yes they do. I was in Marine boot camp Parris island in 2005. We had prior ranger and 2 other soldiers (don't know their mos)., We had prior air Force, and Navy as well. NOT ONE single prior enlisted made it (including the ranger). Though only 27 of us made it to graduation in my bootcamp, oohrah.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 PM

24,245 posts, read 9,146,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0331Guns View Post
Yes they do. I was in Marine boot camp Parris island in 2005. We had prior ranger and 2 other soldiers (don't know their mos)., We had prior air Force, and Navy as well. NOT ONE single prior enlisted made it (including the ranger). Though only 27 of us made it to graduation in my bootcamp, oohrah.
That’s interesting that the prior services didn’t make it.

They must’ve been out of shape

Old 06-17-2018, 08:06 PM

12,303 posts, read 7,998,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That’s interesting that the prior services didn’t make it.

They must’ve been out of shape
Or while going through the Basic, um stuff, again decided that it wasn't worth it and retaining their rank in their former service was preferable.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:49 PM

38,967 posts, read 27,347,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
what if a former USN SEAL that served on the SEAL TEAMS for 6 years tried to enlist in the USMC when he got out of the navy? would he still be required to complete Marine boot camp?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues