Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 09:26 AM

40 posts, read 134,121 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am due to separate in 10 months. When I do, it will be a total of 10 years and 3 months served.

I am an Avionics Technician, an E6, and have H-60, P-3C, EP-3E avionics traning, and for the past 2 years have been Support Equipment Asset Manager (logistics) for the only missile / bomb maintenance facility manned by military in the US Navy.

I have 10 months and am starting my networking. I have some headhunters helping me, but are only really interested once I hit the 3 months out mark.

I have already had offers for oil rig work on ROVs, and one offer with Hitachi as a QA. Wife is not happy with me being gone on the rigs and Hitachi wants 50% travel time out of me.

After my time in the Navy, I am ready to not travel.

So...who here works for the DEF companies, Lockheed, Raytheon, Rockwell, Johnson Controls, etc, that can give a guy some advice?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 06:55 PM

140 posts, read 491,286 times
Have you looked into Seattle with the Air Port or Bowing? The area is pretty nice. We just flew through there 2 months ago. Good Luck. I'm ex-Navy too...

Old 10-07-2007, 05:47 AM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times
have you looked into clearedjobs.com?

Old 10-07-2007, 06:15 PM

I will look into that. Thanks

Old 10-07-2007, 10:08 PM

13 posts, read 35,918 times
Default Hafa! Got your dates yet?

<g>And how is my old stomping grounds? I did three tours on Guam; most recently came back to the States in 2000. We're retired now.

First thing is to get your resume together. Our experience has been to build a "master" that goes back to high school and includes absolutely everything. Save that, and then use it as a 'block-copy' to make tailored resumes as you need them. If you can lay your hands on one of the old SF-171's, use that as your model for your master. By the time you do that monster, you'll have looked up everything you will ever need.

Second: When does your clearance expire? And do you have a copy of your current clearance letter in hand? That's a huge advantage. My husband changed commands in mid-clearance update, and it took forever to track down the paperwork. Similar to the above, lay your hands on an SF-86, and be sure you have all your info to do a new one.

Third: Headhunters are mostly useless, except for taking your money. What is useful, is to get your resume "graded." Get it looked at by as many HR people as possible, and ask them to tell you what could be better on it. You'll get a lot of different answers, but a pattern will emerge. Anything you get the same comment twice on, change immediately. You can go to job fairs for this,even before you are actually out.

Fourth: So where do you want to live? Way easier to scout the job market if you know where you want to be. Strangely enough, the percentage of people actually getting jobs is higher off of craigslist.com or other local boards than off of monster or careerbuilder. I'm not knocking them; they have their uses. But from the employer side, they cost a fortune, so a lot of businesses just don't use them.

Fifth: Don't scorn temporary/contract jobs. They keep you eating, and they get you around the community making contacts while you look for permanent work. So check in with Manpower Professional, Robert Half, and whoever else operates in your destination of choice. Ditto for part-time, especially if it's an evening shift. You aren't likely to have interviews in the evening. Snagajob is pretty good for part-time eating money...nothing great, but beats a blank.

Sixth: I am SO totally with the wife....I just love having Himself sleeping at home, every single night! And nobody shooting at him, even! Hot diggity!

Good luck. Holler if we can help.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 AM

And how is my old stomping grounds? - Well, I am done with this place. I am recovering after being jumped by 4 locals for being a 'haolie' in 'their' neighborhood. Long story - basically they followed me and a buddy back to his place. After he went to get in the shower, they jumped me. They are all in jail for multiple charges.

SF-171 - Not sure what that is, but I will look it up and heed your advice.

When does your clearance expire? I just renewed it this month.
And do you have a copy of your current clearance letter in hand? I sure do.

Similar to the above,
lay your hands on an SF-86, and be sure you have all your info to do a new one. I have a digital and hard copy of my latest and greatest.

Third: Headhunters are mostly useless, except for taking your money. What is useful, is to get your resume "graded." Get it looked at by as many HR people as possible, and ask them to tell you what could be better on it. You'll get a lot of different answers, but a pattern will emerge. Anything you get the same comment twice on, change immediately. You can go to job fairs for this,even before you are actually out.

-
I have contacted Orion International, which has placed quite a few of my old buddies when they got out. It is free for Vets. I will take your advice about using the HR folks though.

Fourth: So where do you want to live? I am looking at Dallas area. Mainly around Frisco, Allen, McKinney.

Fifth: Don't scorn temporary/contract jobs. They keep you eating, and they get you around the community making contacts while you look for permanent work.

- I will not aim for temp work, but will do it this way if I need to.

Thanks so much for your time/advice. It is really going to be a new journey for us. I am excited and anxious.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 PM

13 posts, read 35,918 times
Good heavens, lad, where are you living? Let me guess...possibly Agat? <sigh> Not the only possibility, of course. I was fortunate. My first tour was in '76 (permision to laugh now...I am indeed an official Old Fart,) and things were very different. So I built up friends on the island over three decades. I still have friends. If the incident has created a need for some help, for anyone, call Pamina Hofer. Look up the Hofer Clinic in the phone book; she's on Dormitory Rd, right across from UoG. Tell her Sadie referred; I used to work for her.

Now, Dallas. We have a buddy who retired there (or nearly, they're in Plano.) We know them from EOD-MU5. Let me see if I can get his attention, and have him pick up on this thread. He'd be able to give you Dallas-area info.

The SF-171 is the now-obsolete Application for Civil Service. If you've got a civilian around the command that's been there since Noah was a sideboy, they'll know what it is, and possibly have one stashed somewhere. Ditto if you know anybody at PWC.
The thing is, that thing covered _everything_.

Oh, lord, I almost forgot. Please don't take this the wrong way; it's going to sound funny. One thing that really is harder than it looks is dressing like a civilian. There's a dress code and it's SNEAKY. Interview suits cost more than you think, and they have to fit right! My husband found that the Men's Wearhouse website has a very useful feature called "Guy'd Lines" with a thing called "Ask the Guru". He wrote & told them he'd been dressing like a tree for 20 years & needed help. He got back 4 pages of 'how to look like a civilian.' It's well worth checking out!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet08 View Post
I will look into that. Thanks
Try your luck on it. I personally think that it's a great resource. Most of the jobs listed will have you working with former military. With that, it actually helps you cross over into the civilian workforce. You're still around people that you can relate to, but who have been outside longer. They will make the transition easier for you.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWifeArmyMom View Post
Good heavens, lad, where are you living? Let me guess...possibly Agat?
Close enough - Santa Rosa, you may remember it as Hyundai.

I noticed you mentioned MU-5. Was your husband there? I knew a few EOD guys that were here years ago. Your husband happen to be Kurt, Oli, or Trey I may know him.

I found an SF-171 I downloaded. You are right, it is good for a basis of information.

When I went through TAP class they had 1/2 of a day dedicated to 'dressing for success'. When it comes from an 80 year-old Filipina makes you wonder how much she knows. All I remember is she said to always wear a red tie to your first interview.

Thanks again for all your very much welcomed advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Try your luck on it. I personally think that it's a great resource. Most of the jobs listed will have you working with former military. With that, it actually helps you cross over into the civilian workforce. You're still around people that you can relate to, but who have been outside longer. They will make the transition easier for you.
I checked it out. It seems that everything in my future location is for IT stuff. I will keep that site bookmarked for sure though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues