Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,131,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I don't know about me liking it. I am not one to like everything Korean's eat. There is a dish I forbade my wife from cooking because of the smell. To this day I cannot be around it. I am also not much of a fan of tofu and that probably is as close to poi as anthing based on your discription.
It is certainly not for everyone! One of the best things about Hawaii is the food; since we have so many ethnicities we locals have grown up eating just about every type of cuisine

Being with the Army has allowed us to live in so many places and luckily I have enjoyed most of the places and the local food. I will say that as much as I enjoyed Ft. Leavenworth, KS the food was not among my favorites. Kansas City barbecue is renown but I prefer Southern style so things were shaky for 6 years!

It is nice being Retired and having the ability to travel - it satisfies our wanderlust and love of good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM

37,501 posts, read 61,508,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
... The quality wasn't linked to expected food hygiene standards, either. - I got away with eating shellfish in Sicily but got dysentery in Omaha. ...
Good observation.

3 years in Italy, we ate a lot of food that would have never passed hygiene regulations in the US; but we never got sick.

Living in Scotland we got hooked on malted barley vinegar for fried fish. The other Scottish dishes are lacking though.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 AM

524 posts, read 400,873 times
I am sure that there are a lot of people that had mederterrian cusine and middle eastern cuisine. My favorite was tzatziki. If you had it in the states, disregard it. We would go and get gyros, whatever, put tzatziki on it. It's good on everything that isn't sweet. "Oh, whats this? Keftedes? Let's put some tzatziki on it." "Mythos? Let's put some tzatziki on it." Just kidding!!!!
Once you get into the middle east do not be afraid on the random street vendor, not matter how dirty, sweaty, and unsanitary their station might look compared to United States standards. That nice rack of lamb glistening the sunlight, is the BEST lamb you will ever have my friend, and if there was some tzatziki somewhere near, I would slab some on it!

Camel is not that bad, I was tricked into that one though, kinda like jerky.

Ouzo is the best! Not a big liquorish fan so this surprised me. Hey Navy guys, go back on the ship and pour some in the haji Fanta (Lemon-Lime) from the Gee Dunk. Go sit on the fantail and enjoy the view for a while. Tastes great!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:25 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,122,519 times
One of my favorites was the gyros I had in Crete. It tasted a lot better than the one's I've tasted in the states and the fact that it was served with fries inside the gyro made it that much better.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,102,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
I am sure that there are a lot of people that had mederterrian cusine and middle eastern cuisine. My favorite was tzatziki. If you had it in the states, disregard it. We would go and get gyros, whatever, put tzatziki on it. It's good on everything that isn't sweet. "Oh, whats this? Keftedes? Let's put some tzatziki on it." "Mythos? Let's put some tzatziki on it." Just kidding!!!!
Once you get into the middle east do not be afraid on the random street vendor, not matter how dirty, sweaty, and unsanitary their station might look compared to United States standards. That nice rack of lamb glistening the sunlight, is the BEST lamb you will ever have my friend, and if there was some tzatziki somewhere near, I would slab some on it!

Camel is not that bad, I was tricked into that one though, kinda like jerky.

Ouzo is the best! Not a big liquorish fan so this surprised me. Hey Navy guys, go back on the ship and pour some in the haji Fanta (Lemon-Lime) from the Gee Dunk. Go sit on the fantail and enjoy the view for a while. Tastes great!
Awesome! I can't wait to travel to Europe so that I can try out new foods from their places of origin.

lorimol what are some of those things you mention. I know what a gyro is sort of. What is tzatziki and Keftedes? How about Mythos? Tell us what they taste like when you tell us. It will go a long way to helping us know about it.

Has anyone been to France? How about Switzerland? A place I want to go that my wife isn't so sure of yet is Russia. For me the Russians (albeit the USSR) was the enemy. The country rather than the people. The people were never the problem. We are so glad that they have at least found a measure of freedom. Has anyone gone there? What are the foods like?

Old 03-03-2013, 05:59 PM

51 posts, read 100,094 times
Great topic!

Japan~sushi...could never get enough
Germany~ Italian ice cream...especially spaghetti ice
England~ ummm...not sure...still thinking!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,102,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeDoneYet? View Post
Great topic!

Japan~sushi...could never get enough
Germany~ Italian ice cream...especially spaghetti ice
England~ ummm...not sure...still thinking!

Sushi and Sashimi. Love to have fresh salmon and tuna

Germany and Italian ice cream? Spaghetti ice? interesting, I will have to google that.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 AM

51 posts, read 100,094 times
Yes, sushi AND sashimi are SO good! We lived very close to the Pacific Ocean, so there were a lot of great fish markets around, too!

As far as Italian ice cream in Germany, every ice cream shop seems to be Italian ice cream and spaghetti ice is just vanilla ice cream squeezed through something that makes it look like spaghetti strands, topped with a sweet strawberry sauce (supposed to look like spaghetti sauce), coconut flakes (supposed to look like Parmesan cheese) and whipped cream. It's amazingly delicious!!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,120,035 times
We had an Italian ice cream shop near the casserne in Germany. First time I ever knew you could get totally wasted on Ice cream. All of the deserts were great, but it was impossible to get a well done steak. The gyro's were great. Spiced lamb. I can't quite get kemshe down. Octopus is like trying to eat a fish flavored rubber ball. Just make sure you know what you are getting before you eat it, or don't ask. You may not want to know.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,826,554 times
The Gummy Bears! The German Candy, Gummibärchen, and finally brought to the US! Now there are gummi worms etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues