Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Duel military in base housing is a pretty sweet ticket! Both members are paid BAH and only one of them has their BAH go toward the base housing contractor. Pretty nice if you ask me, but ultimately not attractive enough to make up for the challenges duel military spouses face. I'm not sure I could handle my wife being in the military. She already thinks she outranks me. If she really did there would be no living with her!

My step-father (who was a retired chief master sergeant from the AF) had a plaque that said, "I'm the captain here so what I says goes. And the first thing you need to know is to watch out for my wife. She's the admiral."

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
My step-father (who was a retired chief master sergeant from the AF) had a plaque that said, "I'm the captain here so what I says goes. And the first thing you need to know is to watch out for my wife. She's the admiral."

Cat
That's fun. I've already decided when I pin on Major I am going to hand my wife a small wrapped gift. Inside will be silver oak leaves!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 PM

367 posts, read 765,855 times
one of the closest friend where I work is a female Marine veteran. Organized, professional, no nonsense and highly efficient. Respect them all like they were my (Army) own.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Pretty nice if you ask me, but ultimately not attractive enough to make up for the challenges duel military spouses face. I'm not sure I could handle my wife being in the military.
I think this is true of a lot of dual military couples, with one getting out while the other stays in. Of my husband's small staff, one is a Petty Officer First Class married to a Chief, three are Petty Officers First Class married to spouses who were former Navy but are now out, and only one is married to a civilian with no prior service. My cousin and his new wife are both USMC, and she's already decided she's done after this tour.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Quote:
That's fun. I've already decided when I pin on Major I am going to hand my wife a small wrapped gift. Inside will be silver oak leaves!

I'm sure she has deserves those silver oak leaves.

Cat

Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Wife and I are BOTH prior military. She was Army, I was Air Force and Coast Guard. Yes, when we are together, unless they know us personally, people assume that I alone am the prior military and I always make sure that they know that she was in the Army as well. I want her to receive the recognition, perhaps more than me. She tells me that when she goes to the VA hospital for appointments the older male vets (Korea, WWII) always like to sit and talk with her.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
After I left active duty, I stayed at Ft Bragg for a while so it's normal to see female veterans. But once I moved to the Midwest and started going to the VA, I've been asked if I'm a vet's granddaughter or child etc. I've attended a few events that honor vets and some people just assume I'm helping one of the guys.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Along the same lines, I noted that as a female officer I was treated far worse in the medical and dental facilities than I was as a LTC's wife.

An example is I badly needed crowns replaced and as CPT ____ was put on a long waiting list. As Mrs LTC _____ I got right in. Magic. And the best dentist.
Military dependents, except those overseas, are rarely allowed to use military dentists.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:37 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
^^^

We were overseas

Old 07-31-2015, 01:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Are there any female vets out there? Have you encountered any surprise that you are a vet or anything like that.......
All the time. Who would ever think that a belly dancer could be a Vet?

HOWEVER, a number of things. One, I don't directly advertise that I am one. No vanity plates, no ball cap. Two, while I have always danced to the beat of my own drummer, my post military thought patterns have been increasingly counter to what one would expect. Three, when I was in and started doing police work, I started implanting my dance moves into how I walked to hide that I was military. Assuming that such a self program continued to advance, it's no surprise, at least to me, that people are surprised to find I'm a Vet. Matter of fact, I rather like it that I can conceal myself like that.

As such, I really don't have any stories to tell.

People may peg me as a cop, perhaps a ranger (and I figure in a hostage seizure, they're going to shoot me first just on general principle), but they are often surprised to find I out I served in the Cold War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues