Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
person has a personal invitation for an event on base. Shows up at gate. Guard does not say "hold on while we do a background check." He may search vehicle or get ahold of event people to ensure invite is valid but he allows person entry based on invite.

The backgroujnd check is simply a card swipe that checks data bases; it is already used on quite a few military installations and literally takes seconds to complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Outside of a base with nuclear weapons or other similarly sensitive things there is no need for background checks for civilian guests on 95% of military bases. Heck, you don't need a background check to visit the US Capital or the White House, when you're a passenger on a commercial aircraft, when you enter a government building, when you visit the police station, etc. Everything that would be of concern on a military base has an additional layer of security which could be beefed up on the day of graduation.

Not to mention, most "graduations" from military schools are on training bases where there isn't really anything of importance anyway. Make them go through a metal detector, pat them down, etc. but to submit every guest to a background check just to visit the base for graduation is ridiculous and unnecessary.

As I said, 26 years of going on an off military installations and I never had a guest require a background check before I sponsored them on base. Hell, THOUSANDS of people enter every military base daily that have never had a background check. Military dependents enter and exit each base by themselves every day and none of them have ever had a background check.

As has been said, I'd bet it is more that the Soldier doesn't want this person to attend graduation for some reason then they actually are not allowed to.
See my above post about background checks. I don't think you understand what is going on. Every one of these folks may have had a background check done at the gate and neither you nor they would know about it.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The backgroujnd check is simply a card swipe that checks data bases; it is already used on quite a few military installations and literally takes seconds to complete.
Quote:
See my above post about background checks. I don't think you understand what is going on. Every one of these folks may have had a background check done at the gate and neither you nor they would know about it.
I can assure you I understand what is going on, I just retired after a military career part of which was with base security.

Negative, the "card swipe" at the front gate has nothing to do with background checks. Many people do not have swipeable ID cards to begin with. Not to mention, they scan ID's at the gate they don't swipe them.

That system just checks that you're in the DOD system for entering and leaving the base and don't have any restrictions. A civilian (that is not a dependent) wouldn't even show up in that system. There is NO background check conducted to get entered into the system they use when they swipe you at the front gate.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 PM

It is a background check in a loose sense of the term.

So I guess these people are wrong?

http://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Abo...aseAccess.aspx

Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
It is a background check in a loose sense of the term.

So I guess these people are wrong?

http://www.pendleton.marines.mil/Abo...aseAccess.aspx
It isn't even a loose sense of the term as the card check at the gate isn't checking your background it simply says if you're in the DoD system and don't have any restrictions that have been placed upon you by the DoD. If you're not in that system you'll require a sponsor to get on base.

Wrong with what? I have no idea what that page has to do with this issue. It also doesn't say anything about visitors requiring a background check before entering. It does have a list of who can enter the base (pasted below). I've sponsored many people on Navy, Air Force and USMC bases and none of them have ever been asked about their criminal history nor have they required background checks. There is a list of things that can cause someone to lose access to the base on that page, however, that isn't for the occasional guest you bring on the base as they are not required to have background checks on most bases. Someone looking for continued access may get denied due to the list on that page.

Who is allowed aboard Camp Pendleton?
• Department of Defense affiliates and/or their authorized family members
• Authorized individuals or groups who desire to conduct business
• Representatives of religious organizations wishing to conduct activities
• Employees working and students attending internal schools and colleges
• Authorized civilians who provide for Exceptional Family Members
• Authorized civilians who volunteer with on-base agencies
• Authorized official guests of a military member or command
• Authorized visitors desiring access for non-work related activities with a sponsor

Old 06-05-2014, 03:34 PM

It says this, which you say doesn't happen:

Sponsored visitors must present their driver license to the sentry at an installation access control point (gate) and indentify who they are going to visit. The sentry will scan the driver license and record the driver's name, license number, and date, time and location of entry. The license is authenticated and an instant background check through open public sources is conducted. After favorable results, the visitor is allowed to proceed aboard the installation.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Sponsored visitors must present their driver license to the sentry at an installation access control point (gate) and indentify who they are going to visit. The sentry will scan the driver license and record the driver's name, license number, and date, time and location of entry. The license is authenticated and an instant background check through open public sources is conducted. After favorable results, the visitor is allowed to proceed aboard the installation.
It says that for a specific program on that base (SVP) to allow someone repeated unaccompanied access to the base to visit someone. That program isn't for a one time visitor to a graduation ceremony which is what we are talking about here.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:00 PM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:

Have you bought a gun recently? There is no such thing as such an "instant background check." There is the "cool your heels for up to three days" background NICS check when you buy a gun--and that's the only federal check of its kind--but that's not what's happening in the visitor's center. "Open public sources" is what you can get off the Internet, not the NICS.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
It says that for a specific program on that base (SVP) to allow someone repeated access to the base to visit someone. That program isn't for a one time visitor to a graduation ceremony which is what we are talking about here.
As I mentioned up in post #14, access by friends and family to the Air Force Basic Training Graduation Week activities is a multi-day pass. That's why it does require a more extensive check...and the requirements of other services for other purposes are not relevant to this because it's a service-specific requirement.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As I mentioned up in post #14, access by friends and family to the Air Force Basic Training Graduation Week activities is a multi-day pass. That's why it does require a more extensive check...and the requirements of other services for other purposes are not relevant to this because it's a service-specific requirement.
Makes sense. The OP said Soldier so I think it is an Army school they are inquiring about. You're right though, AF Basic Training or Camp Pendleton access requirements don't pertain to whatever base the OP is inquiring about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues