Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:43 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiken View Post
Hi all, I'm in need of some serious advice on applying for a moral waiver for AROTC. Please be respectful, as it's been really tough for me to even talk about what's happened (you'll understand).

Short story:
I was charged with 3 misdemeanors — 2 counts of communicating obscene material, 1 count of computer crime under $1000 --earlier this March. Please understand that none of these misdeeds were motivated by malicious intentions. I was sexually violated and traumatized by another college student 3 years ago, and I’d been bottling all of it up ever since, and this eventually led me to DESPERATELY seek out help in a very unhealthy way (as you can already tell). However, the prosecutor spoke to me, and after I explained everything to him (I was totally honest) he understood my motives and said, “you need help, not punishment.” He then dropped all 3 charges unconditionally and had my record expunged, and just told me "get help, son." He did so because he saw that I’m a bright kid with a bright future.

I went through 3 months of thorough cognitive therapy, and it honestly saved my life. It helped me cope with the trauma that plagued me for 3 years.

Do I need a waiver? I have 1) a letter of support from the prosecutor, 2) CAN get a letter of support from an AFROTC commander at my college, 3) outstanding academic record (my commander said I would've been the smartest AFROTC cadet here), 4) NO prior civil involvements…with anyone; I’ve always been a goody-two-shoes.

Because my charges were non-violent, not motivated by bad intentions (just a very unhealthy, desperate cry for help), and are not drug/alcohol related, and were dropped unconditionally, do I have a chance at getting a waiver from AROTC?

In short:
- only penalty was suspension from college for 1 semester (so that I could get counseling/help and focus on getting better)
- no conviction/adjudicate or any pretrial program
- charges are classified as "misdemeanors" by Army standards; not anything crazy like a serious criminal misconduct
- not DV, not drugs, not alcohol
- have been completely honest
- have areas of support (rec letters)
- outstanding GPA and majors

Thank you so much!
You don't need a morals waiver to join the Air Force if the charges were UNCONDITIONALLY DROPPED. However, I'm not sure about the Army. If you are in AFROTC, why are you asking about Army, confused?

However, you are unlikely to pass our medical exam because of the previous counseling. As a recruiting supervisor, this would be a far bigger concern for me. This is the question you should be asking the Army... can you get in having needed extensive cognitive therapy. You were diagnosed with something in order to get therapy, was it depression, adjustment disorder, PTSD? That is a far bigger issue than the dropped charges. If you don't think you were diagnosed, you are wrong. They always diagnose, so get the medical records.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiken View Post
Thank you for your response. I got a lot of support from the AFROTC PMS when I applied for a waiver there, but it still didnt go through, so I'm really worried about this one.

And yes, I've already written a full affidavit and statement expressing so much remorse, you wouldnt believe it. I even have a letter from the prosecutor himself, and he literally says he believes in my "good character" and KNOWS that I "showed tremendous remorse." I thought I'd have a good chance at AFROTC because this support seems very rare for this kind of situation. I still don't know why it was turned down; maybe the numbers.

Will the higherups above the PMS accept character references/recommendation letters like the prosecutor's and the AFROTC PMS'? I feel like those might give me a much higher chance. In other words, what documents could/should I bring to in-processing? As i reminder, no one has the original police records because of the expungement.

Also, is it true that Army is more likely than Air force to grant these waivers? I mean, considering my circumstances (again, NOT shifting blame), I think that a waiver would be more reasonable than not.

Another big question I had is: even though the worst event of my life happened relatively recently (almost a year ago now), because of the "special" circumstances of my case, does this look better than say a stupid mistake of smoking pot, DUI, underage drinking, violent crimes, B&E? Again, I was never under any malicious intent -- I have statements from the prosecutor to attest to that
Correction to my last post. You could apply DIRECTLY for a commission with the Air Force once you have your degree. ROTC might have stricter standards. For direct commission or enlistment, if it was truly dropped without conditions you don't need a moral waiver.

Also, if it was dropped, how was it expunged? This may be why you needed a waiver, as that doesn't make sense. They don't really expunge dropped charges, or not-guilty verdicts. Your story is suspect, and without any records, hard to prove. They would normally only expunge an adjudication (meaning there were conditions). They may have read your waiver package, with a complete lack of records/proof, and decided something was missing from your story.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 AM

6 posts, read 16,790 times
To answer both your posts, Dmarie,

1) they were UNCONDITIONALLY DROPPED; I'll pm you the document proving it when I get my hands on it. Yes, I think ROTC has unfortunately stricter standards
2) The prosecutor told me that after he dismissed the charges, that I should go down to the court and fill out an expungement form to get it "completely off my record" so that non-military people cant see it. I'll gladly pm you the document, so you can see for yourself and hopefully answer your question.
3) I WAS in AFROTC, but after the AFROTC PMS requested a waiver for my situation (with 100% support), it was ultimately denied. I'm still desperate to serve my country, so I'd like to give AROTC a go.
4) I was diagnosed with adjustment disorder -- a normal, understandable reaction to a traumatic event. I've been in touch with a DoDMERB consultant, and he said that because of the diagnosis, there's a good chance they could qualify me.

Believe me, i'm an honest person, and I wouldn't lie to you guys, especially if I need your advice.

Thank you for your patience.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:01 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
If you asked the army, either recruiter or PMS(your response was not clear) and they said you needed the waiver, why are you asking a bunch of anonymous yahoos on a forum?

You will not go far by questioning orders in the army. Perhaps you should consider an alternate endeavor.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:51 AM

Jaiken,

Thanks for the updates! For a direct commissioning with the Air Force, the legal stuff is a complete NON-ISSUE. We'd have to waiver the adjustment disorder, through our SG (not DODMERB), but it could be worth a try if it doesn't work out with AROTC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues