Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

Also Check at: USAJOBS, a United States Office of Personnel Management website.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-07-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
might consider a profession change - my friend went from being a nurse to being a history teacher - doing very well at it and enjoys it......or get a degree, or add to the degree......

Troops to Teachers

Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
FL and TX have no state income tax.

A suggestion I would have is to contact the Air Guard/Reserve and see if he can transition over to that component. Why? Tricare and retirement. He won't be able to collect until he's 60 but at least his 14 years TIS isn't thrown out of the door.

Get his resume together NOW and start sending it out. Sign up on all the job websites such as Indeed, USA Jobs, Monster, etc. Get on LinkedIn and start making contacts, get his name and resume out there. Use the resume writing services available to him for free. Use legal services, update his will, Power of Attorney, etc. Get all of your dental done before he leaves.

When you move, do a DITY move and max your weight to max your compensation. Sell his leave days, he can sell 60 for his entire career. Do NOT take the leave to get out early, he's leaving money on the table doing that.

Example:

His ETS is 1 October.

He signs out on 1 October and sells 60 days of leave. That deposit comes about 3 weeks after his ETS. It's just base pay. His full time pay until 1 October will be base pay, BAH and BAS.

If he takes leave and leaves 1 August, he will get paid until 1 October with base pay, BAH and BAS and that's it. No payout from selling leave.

When I left active duty, I sold 60 days. It was an additional $9,500 deposited into my bank account 3 weeks after I ETS'd.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
From city-data on June 29 by easy62. Willing to relocate?
GM hiring

Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I would suggest focusing on Civilian Certifications as quickly as possible. Military schools, NECs, MOSs are great but they do not translate well into the civilian jobs market.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
That's a tough course. Thank goodness I was in Kuwait when I took it. The education office lady there let us retake any volumes we missed right away. Will he have an Honorable Discharge?
Troops to Teachers does require a Bachelor's.
Listen, the hiring process is long at USAJobs but it can be rewarding. Thow applications out there. Keep applying. But do take your time and look up "tips" for applying.
The FAA requires you to have your A&P license EXCEPT if you're Avionics. Lots of FAA jobs on there. He's got an advantage there.
I'd be on the phone with Dave Ramsey for tips on surviving this financially. Can you sell off some stuff? Get part time jobs?
You might check out the Guard (army or air) Sometimes they need people and will overlook things - but he'd have to pass that course there, too. Maybe the clock can start again on it.
I know things will turn out okay for you.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Is there a big ship yard in V.A.? Consider Groton Connecticut. Electric Boat General Dynamics has some contracts to build some subs so he may get in. Also consider the reserves to finish out the retirement years.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:54 PM

17 posts, read 34,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
If he is separating in October he should have or get a timeline from his S-1 (or HR Human resources). This will be a list of all places and people he has to "clear" or checkout through and when to do it. One of these items on the time line should should be a week long class for Soldiers separating/retiring. Sign up for that soon, if someone can watch the kids , go with him.

Sorry about leaving at the 14year mark, that sucks. Just curious , if you don't mind sharing, what is "course 15" that he could not pass?

Course 15 is a test that you normally take after sewing on Tech. If I remember right, you are supposed to go away for classes to study and learn how to pass. They changed the rules to make them take it before Tech and it isn't in a class anymore.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 PM

17 posts, read 34,005 times
They won't accept you in the guard or reserves if you have a disability. Hubby has sleep apnea He's already asked

Old 07-07-2017, 11:41 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twikat View Post
Hello.

My hubby is being forced out because he couldn't pass the course 15 and they refused to let him test for Tech because of it. Higher tenure is supposed to be March but they are pushing him out in October.

We don't know where to go or where to start. We have 2 kids, 3 cats and own a house right now.

What are the best places to apply for jobs? Which states are currently the best for military with low taxes? We are currently in VA and while it is beautiful, the cost of living is wicked high.

He is logistic Test/ Avionics if that helps any.

Thanks.
He could work overseas as a contractor. Companies are always looking for prior AF specialities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues