Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 03:44 AM

195 posts, read 161,423 times

Advertisements

Army Picks Sig Sauer's P320 Handgun to Replace M9 Service Pistol | Military.com

The Sig P320 won the trial if any of the 5 people here are interested in knowing. The other branches may also follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 07:53 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Hopefully they will choose a caliber with better knock down power than the 9 Para.
I like the 9, and I enjoy shooting it, but in a military situation where you want to put the enemy down, I do not believe it has the punch that is needed.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
The Sig Sauer P320 can be converted to 9mm, .357SIG, or .40S&W...

https://www.sigsauer.com/edu/meet-the-p320/

Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Hopefully they will choose a caliber with better knock down power than the 9 Para.
I like the 9, and I enjoy shooting it, but in a military situation where you want to put the enemy down, I do not believe it has the punch that is needed.
Knock down power is an awful myth.

The caliber is chosen based on cost, supply (there are hundreds of thousands of rounds in inventory), holsters, etc.

The fact is that if you're in "a military situation" and you're down to a pistol, things are beyond horrible at that point.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:58 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Things change. In my day it was the M1911 45 and the S&W Model 10 revolver in 38 cal. This was at the beginning of Vietnam and we were still using a lot of WW2 hardware. M1 Garand and then moved to the M14. We also used and gave away to the Vietnamese BAR's, M1919 Browning light machine guns and even a few Thompsons. I never used a M16 when I was in SE Asia. All from a Marine Corps perspective.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:02 PM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
The first pistol I qualed in was the Model 15 .38. Simple revolver that was small (fit in the holster to a pilot's survival vest) and easy to operate. The M9 was a POS, it was heavier and required modification to the holster. One time right before stepping to the jet (combat mission) I used the latrine one last time, closed the vest, and the pistol fell out of the holster, bounced off the floor and under the stall where some poor airman was seated. I would say the poor guy almost s**t but I am certain that's what he was already doing.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:51 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
The P320 is a decent pistol and the modular design is going to open up a lot of possibilities.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Knock down power is an awful myth.

The caliber is chosen based on cost, supply (there are hundreds of thousands of rounds in inventory), holsters, etc.

The fact is that if you're in "a military situation" and you're down to a pistol, things are beyond horrible at that point.
There was a definite, although limited, tendency early during OIF for people to ask about bringing Personally Owned Weapons because they believed in stuff from the gun magazines about 'knockdown power' and 'backup'. To which I would point people at your excellent point that (generally) if "you're down to a pistol, things are beyond horrible".

I have no idea if anybody actually tried it or got away with it.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:21 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
There was a definite, although limited, tendency early during OIF for people to ask about bringing Personally Owned Weapons because they believed in stuff from the gun magazines about 'knockdown power' and 'backup'. To which I would point people at your excellent point that (generally) if "you're down to a pistol, things are beyond horrible".

I have no idea if anybody actually tried it or got away with it.
During Desert Storm some pilots did bring their own firearms. There was a lot of contempt and distrust for the M9, deserved or not. I knew a couple guys who did but the acknowledged fact was that if one bailed out over bad guy land the decision had to be made if saving a round or two for oneself was in order. The small caliber pistol was good for commandeering a vehicle in a surprise but not any good against troops with AKs.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:01 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
During Desert Storm some pilots did bring their own firearms. There was a lot of contempt and distrust for the M9, deserved or not. I knew a couple guys who did but the acknowledged fact was that if one bailed out over bad guy land the decision had to be made if saving a round or two for oneself was in order. The small caliber pistol was good for commandeering a vehicle in a surprise but not any good against troops with AKs.
Fair point. I was looking at it from an Army perspective. If you're an Army officer issued a pistol, you should be fighting using the unit you lead, not worrying about if your pistol has 'knockdown power'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues