Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:32 PM

51 posts, read 156,102 times

Advertisements

My terrific son-in-law was just promoted to Captain, and I'd like to acknowledge his achievement. I'd welcome your suggestions and ideas. He's a bit of an 'old-soul', and he might enjoy something from an earlier generation of aviators, or something contemporary. I was thinking of acquiring a vintage, mechanical flyer's watch and have it totally restored.

He loves the Air Force, which he joined straight out of high school. Since then he has continued his education, receiving a Bachelor's degree and is just a few hours away from a Master's degree. Best of all, he married my daughter, and together they are raising two beautiful children.

Thank you for your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Hmmm.... I am truly lost for suggestions. I retired from the military 25+ years ago.

Take a look at these sites:
https://www.cafepress.com/+air-force-captain+gifts
https://www.etsy.com/market/air_force_gifts
Air Force Gifts - Personalized Military Officer Gifts

Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
I like Poncho's ideas practical usable but not too much.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:24 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnugBuffalo View Post
My terrific son-in-law was just promoted to Captain, and I'd like to acknowledge his achievement. I'd welcome your suggestions and ideas. He's a bit of an 'old-soul', and he might enjoy something from an earlier generation of aviators, or something contemporary. I was thinking of acquiring a vintage, mechanical flyer's watch and have it totally restored.

He loves the Air Force, which he joined straight out of high school. Since then he has continued his education, receiving a Bachelor's degree and is just a few hours away from a Master's degree. Best of all, he married my daughter, and together they are raising two beautiful children.

Thank you for your ideas.
An Officer's sword with wall mounted plaque.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:43 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
How about a Rolex GMT-Master watch? Good used ones are "only" about $4K to $5K.

Good enough for Pete Knight:

[SIZE=3]One of those pilots, Pete Knight, wrote the following to Rolex after one flight. “I finally flew on October 3, 1967 to a speed of 4,534 mph (7,269 kph) or Mach 6.72 and all systems functioned properly with the exception of some local heating damage on the lower ventral. I have been wearing my Rolex GMT-Master for a period of months now and have calibrated it to within a few seconds a day” The throwaway phrases “Mach 6.72” and “some local heating damage on the lower ventral” disguised the real facts. Knight had flown the X-15 to a world record speed that still stands over 30 years later and had brought the plane home after temperatures later determined to have been above 1650°C (3000°F) burned a ramjet engine off its pylon and seared a hole measuring 18 by 8 centimetres into the ventral fin's leading edge. An airscoop effect channelled hot air into the lower fuselage and damaged the propellant jettison system meaning that Knight eventually had to land the plane 680 kilograms heavier than planned because he could not jettison the residual fuel. If the heat had damaged the craft's hydraulics, Knight might have had to abandon the plane. Fortunately, that did not happen. Knight landed at Edwards Air Force Base with the plane resembling burnt firewood. It seems amazing that the plane made it and even more so that despite acceleration of more than 3.5G the Rolex GMT Master on his wrist also performed perfectly. The other X-15 pilots also wrote to Rolex about their watches but the story of Pete Knight’s final flight is perhaps the most interesting.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=31386
[/SIZE]

Old 01-20-2018, 06:48 AM

269 posts, read 247,315 times
This is an awesome promotion for your son-in-law! Congratulations to him and your daughter!! Promotion gifts I think is a difficult topic. Retirement gift ideas are much easier. Promotions are momentous but more solemn in some minor ways I think.

As for gift ideas, simply taking him, your daughter, and family out to dinner after the promotion ceremony might be the best thing. Tell him how proud you are of him and your daughter. Perhaps a card is a sufficient keepsake.

The Clothing Sales store on base has gift items, but none there can IMO really capture the thought you expressed in your OP. In retrospect, my promotions were each very important acheivements personally and the most important thing was the support of loving family and unit support. As a new Captain, he should find the time to share a beer or soda (buy a round) with his close Wingman colleagues at the watering hole on base. Thanks to him for his service and you for your support!!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:58 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Is he a pilot? If so, some vintage USAF or even USAAC doo dad.

https://www.ebay.com/i/182710561715?...D1420342771860

Old 01-20-2018, 01:46 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,249 times
Something he can eat or drink.

Advice from an Army Col.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:51 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Something he can eat or drink.

Advice from an Army Col.

We're talking Air Force here. They eat better than any other service anyway. Well, except maybe the Chief's Mess.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:11 PM

363 posts, read 349,681 times
a Chris Reeve Sebenza folding knife and a Surefire Aviator flashlight would be an awesome combination gift, and memorable, too.

you could add a nice pilot watch, but I don't know anything about those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues