Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:04 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times

Advertisements

Title 38 defines a veteran as "...a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable."

There are obviously different levels in people's minds for what they consider a veteran.

Personally, I served 6 years in the National Guard with no activation and fall into that odd grey area of being honorably discharged, yet not having enough active service to really count as anything. I get tense when people thank me for serving mostly because I don't feel I did anything.

What is your own personal definition of a veteran regardless of Title 38?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 11:13 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Title 38 defines a veteran as "...a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable."

There are obviously different levels in people's minds for what they consider a veteran.

Personally, I served 6 years in the National Guard with no activation and fall into that odd grey area of being honorably discharged, yet not having enough active service to really count as anything. I get tense when people thank me for serving mostly because I don't feel I did anything.

What is your own personal definition of a veteran regardless of Title 38?
Sir as a retired soldier from the Army National Guard I will tell you that you are a veteran. You need not have served on active duty but you qualified for that because your 8 weeks of BCT and your time in AIT was all on active duty. They didn't give you a DD214 because you didn't get discharged from active duty but transitioned to the guard/reserve.

You should be proud of your service. You were there to answer the call should your country call upon you. You were there when the governor of your state needed to call you to state active duty. You are a veteran!

I retired as and E8/1SG so trust me I appreciate your service and you should be proud of it as well.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Sir as a retired soldier from the Army National Guard I will tell you that you are a veteran. You need not have served on active duty but you qualified for that because your 8 weeks of BCT and your time in AIT was all on active duty. They didn't give you a DD214 because you didn't get discharged from active duty but transitioned to the guard/reserve.

You should be proud of your service. You were there to answer the call should your country call upon you. You were there when the governor of your state needed to call you to state active duty. You are a veteran!

I retired as and E8/1SG so trust me I appreciate your service and you should be proud of it as well.
That is very thoughtful, 1SG. So you would consider anyone that honorably discharged to be a veteran?

Old 09-28-2018, 11:37 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
That is very thoughtful, 1SG. So you would consider anyone that honorably discharged to be a veteran?
Yes and even those under other conditions as well. We do not know what drove someone to do something that would have them discharged unfavorably. They were once soldiers we cannot take that time away from them. Now would I give someone with a BCD benefits? That would depend and that is why we have a process in place to determine those benefits.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:51 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
When someone thanks me for serving, I merely say, "It was a privilege" and continue my day.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When someone thanks me for serving, I merely say, "It was a privilege" and continue my day.
I do too...it's not like I sit and argue with people. It doesn't change that fact that I feel non-deserving slightly.

Anyway, please answer the question.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:19 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
I do too...it's not like I sit and argue with people. It doesn't change that fact that I feel non-deserving slightly.

Anyway, please answer the question.
You got successfully through accession and initial training. You answered all the calls made of you.

Some guys think you have to have been a snake eater to be a real veteran.

I think you merely need to have raised your hand, sworn your oath, and successfully completed every task given to you until they told you that you were done.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:19 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
If you have a DD214.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If you have a DD214.
NGB 22, but it is basically the same as a DD-214

Old 09-28-2018, 01:20 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
I heard someone once tell my father that he wasn't a veteran because he was an officer and never went to an actual war despite serving for 20+ years during multiple times of war, etc. I've come across other people who thought you're only a veteran if you actually saw battle. I don't agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues