Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
My mistake I am an ignorant civilian in these matters . I don't pretend to know about the inner workings but I do find the discussions funny when my daughters who are both married to Military men, one a 1st Sargent in the Army and the other is a Marine Gunny and to hear the two girls talk about about how each one gets something done is very amusing.
Thanks for clarifying.... Don't worry about it, we all make mistakes...

1st or First Sergeant is the proper spelling.

Sargent is a last name, or lock company (I think)..

Quote:
A noncommissioned officer in the armed forces, in particular (in the US Army or Marine Corps) an NCO ranking above corporal and below staff sergeant, or (in the US Air Force) an NCO ranking above airman and below staff sergeant.

Also:

British
a police officer ranking below an inspector.

US
a police officer ranking below a lieutenant.
Full Explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Thanks.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Anyway a Soldier can change his MOS becuase of Family Health concerns specifically a child , so the child does not have to be uprooted from his Doctors(heart related) .Understand I am not talking deployment , he is willing to go anywhere but just needs for family to stay on East cost.
So is he the one with the heart condition? I'm a little confused. If you mean he needs to be close to family, he needs to talk to his CO first. He could do a lateral MOS move. Involves a lot of paperwork, is time consuming and depends on what slots are available. It's still early in their fiscal year (began Nov1), so depending on what his current MOS is, there may be something available. My son is a Marine. DM me if you want more info.

Edit: if he's a gunny he should have more options, since he has quite a bit of tenure already.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
From this URL: https://www.militaryonesource.mil/fa...-special-needs

Quote:
January 7, 2019 @ 3:26 PM | 6 Min Read | 88129 Views
The Exceptional Family Member Program: A Program for Families With Special Needs
Exceptional Family Member Program Quick Reference Guide
Download Now

When your family member has special needs, you have an extra roster of must-do's to be a good guardian of your family. The Exceptional Family Member Program, EFMP, offers many services for military families. Here are just a few of the ways it can help guide you to the resources your family needs to thrive.
What is the program about?

It's all about helping your family navigate the medical and educational system, so you can have more peace of mind about your family member's care. We assist by:

Identifying and enrolling family members with special medical or educational needs.
Finding out what services are available at your present or new duty station.
Supporting your family with information, referrals and non-clinical case management to access services.

Each military service branch has EFMP resources. Here are links by branch:

Army Exceptional Family Member Program
Navy Exceptional Family Member Program
Marine Corps Exceptional Family Member Program
Air Force Exceptional Family Member Program

You may also enroll at MilitaryINSTALLATIONS. Visit Military OneSource's Exceptional Family Member Program to find out even more.

Also:

From: http://download.militaryonesource.mi...renceGuide.pdf

Quote:
This guide provides staff with reference information and instructions to assist family members with special needs with enrollment into the EFMP, EFMP Family Support, and Family Member Travel Screeningprocesses for the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force. Foryour reference, search tools for contact information, Family Support contact information,and relevant forms can also be found in this guide

Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Best. Wishes. Semper fi.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:55 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
do wish the best but a Gunny is a senior and respected NCO and it seems to me that he would work it though his 1st Sgt or SGM if it is workable.

Programs are there. Chain of Command can support if they wish. As a former S1 and Commander, if a 1st Sgt or SGM came to me and asked me to help someone I would have moved heaven and earth to do so because the 1st/SGM would not have come to me directly if it wasn't important enough for me to do that.

Worry about family can make such a difference on a unit to say nothing of the individual. so i wish your SIL the best.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:25 AM

Thank you for all of this!

Old 03-02-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So is he the one with the heart condition? I'm a little confused. If you mean he needs to be close to family, he needs to talk to his CO first. He could do a lateral MOS move. Involves a lot of paperwork, is time consuming and depends on what slots are available. It's still early in their fiscal year (began Nov1), so depending on what his current MOS is, there may be something available. My son is a Marine. DM me if you want more info.

Edit: if he's a gunny he should have more options, since he has quite a bit of tenure already.

It is my grandson(12 years old)with the heart condition and except for on previous 4 years at Camp Pendelton he has spent his life on the East cost with his Doctors .No matter where they were they would travel on the East cost to this group that is how comfortable they are with them.
My Son in Law a Marine has been deployed multiple times through his twenty years in the Corps that is not a problem. My grandson will have a "open heart procedure" in a year or two and he as well as his parents all were very happy and comfortable with his Medical Heart team.............this is all now changing and according to my daughter when they try to talk to anyone they get "there are Doctors on the West Cost response".

Old 03-04-2019, 09:02 AM

857 posts, read 844,463 times
A Gunny switching an MOS is highly unlikely. Not because he cannot do it but it is just the way things work. He would have to go to MOS school with the young guys and even if that panned out, there is no guarantee where he will end up. He needs to talk to his MOS monitor; of course that is always rough... What is his MOS? This has nothing to do with S1 (just BN level) or even G1, as a monitor assigns new duty stations in the Marine Corps. All the S, G, etc shops do is admin stuff. Look if he can become a career recruiter.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:01 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
I got Med Boarded and re-classed in the Army due to injury. It was definitely strange going to AIT as a SrNCO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues