Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 07:21 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,081,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Your confusing (driver's) license and license plate. The person you're replying to is talking about the veteran designation on your driver's license.

And discounted plates? My veteran plate, with Persian Gulf label, cost me $5 more than a regular plate with no markings.
Thanks but I covered the difference in my reply. It was covering drivers licenses then switched to plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 07:58 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Folks, just to make sure everyone understands"

Places like ID.me, govx, or Sheer(?), etc. are just private verification services with alliances to private vendors that may offer discounts on their terms. What proof a vendor wants and which verification services they use and how much is up to them. With the exception of sheer, the others receive a commission on sales through their portal. Any vendor can change or just make up who what and how.

VCS and the military exchanges are government operations. Access to and requirements to shop at VCS and the exchanges are governed by law.

Old 01-20-2024, 02:48 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I just placed an order through the aafes website. https://www.shopmyexchange.com/

They interconnect between the Exchanges for US Army, Air Farce, Navy, Marines and Coasties.

The log-on process verifies that you are an actual US servicemember, or I guess maybe the vets too.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:24 PM

393 posts, read 275,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I just placed an order through the aafes website. https://www.shopmyexchange.com/

They interconnect between the Exchanges for US Army, Air Farce, Navy, Marines and Coasties.

The log-on process verifies that you are an actual US servicemember, or I guess maybe the vets too.
Yeah, according to the website, honorably discharged veterans were granted on-line access in 2017 (but no installation access). I just signed up!

Old 01-21-2024, 05:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
Yeah, according to the website, honorably discharged veterans were granted on-line access in 2017 (but no installation access). I just signed up!

I hadn't heard that. Never found AAFES prices much better than anywhere else, but the tax savings was a perk. Gonna check it out!

Last edited by Seguinite; 01-21-2024 at 06:16 AM..

Old 01-21-2024, 08:29 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1067 View Post
Installation access has been granted to the following veterans:
- Veterans with service-connected disabilities
- Purple Heart recipients
- Former prisoners of war
- Primary family caregivers of veterans enrolled in the Department of Veterans Affairs Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers

This also provides access to commissary and Moral Welfare and Recreation (MWR) facilities.

(You will need to be cleared for base access based on standard DOD/Installation entry requirements.)

Old 01-21-2024, 10:14 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I hadn't heard that. Never found AAFES prices much better than anywhere else, but the tax savings was a perk. Gonna check it out!

Just now checked several items (perfumes, pots/pans etc) I may have been interested in shopping for. All were nearly double the Amazon price.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:24 PM

24 posts, read 10,204 times
Quote:
You have to be selective, but there are great deals at shopmyexchange. Mostly big ticket electronic items but when combined with no tax , you can save many hundreds of dollars vs Amazon,Best Buy, or even Costco.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Just now checked several items (perfumes, pots/pans etc) I may have been interested in shopping for. All were nearly double the Amazon price.
Similar experiences here. We used to get wine and groceries at Tinker AFB. Wine - as long as the actual manager of the Class VI was on site all was well. Otherwise we had to discuss over charges of up to several cases when picking up a large order. Changes in laws and we shop locally. Groceries - under stocked, meat/poultry coolers are filthy to say the least. Prices match economy grocery stores. PX/BX - I have not seen anything of interest from clothes, cosmetics to electronics.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Joad View Post
You have to be selective, but there are great deals at shopmyexchange. Mostly big ticket electronic items but when combined with no tax , you can save many hundreds of dollars vs Amazon,Best Buy, or even Costco.
It is 30-45 minutes for us one way. Exchanges are too time consuming. Warranties seem to be very iffy. I am glad if things work out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues