Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 8,079 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a female, currently 18 years old although I will be 19 this coming July, and I am considering joining a branch of military soon after graduating this May (I am a senior in high school). I have a 17 year old sister who is also graduating this year, and is considering going into the Air Force and I did too until recently when I spoke with an army recruiter and he (the recruiter) made the army seem so glamorous.

Now, I m fully aware of the situation in the middle east and this is precisely why I have been diligently researching the army and the air force because those are the two branches that I am most interested in…

Initially I considered becoming an Airborne Crypto Linguist but upon further research I discovered that I may not qualify for the security clearance because I have one juvenile charge on my record, this charge (though it was juvenile) carried a hefty fine, one which I have not yet been able to pay off, and I am wondering that if I will be given an enlisting bonus upon entering the military, will a recruiter work with me so that I can enlist? I am pretty sure that I cannot join without first settling this fine. I would really like to join the Air force with my sister but given my situation I fear I will be forced to join the Army in order for this to be taken care of.

I would greatly appreciate any light that can be shed on this troubling matter. Thank you for your time

Appreciatively,
-MilitaryBound09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 AM

58 posts, read 244,701 times
I am active duty AF with a security clearance. All charges that occured while a juvenile will be looked at but it is not necassarily a disqualifying factor. As to having it payed off normally you just have to show proof that you are paying on it regularly. I know this because i had some credit problems earlier in life that I thought was going to disqualify me. You will also have to take the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery) to test your ability to learn a new language in a very short amount of time. Talk to an Air Force recruiter and explain the situation, if they know their job they should be able to give you the necessary information. Don't give up hope, everything in the Air Force has a waiver.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 AM

163 posts, read 669,412 times
I know people don't consider the Coast Guard Military, and I think we are apart from the other services in many ways, not saying we are better, b/c I for one respect every other branch. I almost joined the Air Force, but at the last minute changed my mine to the Coast Guard, and I haev now been in for 6 years and love it. Smaller group of people, more close nit family type persay. We still have all the same pay and benfits of the other services, and I like our day to day missions over the other services, you get to help the general public daily. If you want more information just feel free to contact me or a recruiter, and from what I see our recruiters keep it real so to speak. No need to lie or sell you on the Coast Guard.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
I agree with bls8195; do check into the Coast Guard. My son joined 9 years ago and he loves it. I can't say whether your record would be held against you or not, but you definitely need to get that fine paid, pronto. USCG holds itself to very high standards and they frown upon anyone who does not meet one's obligations. Outstanding debts is an area where disiplinary action can be and has been taken.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
if you've got something that's still "open" you are disqualified. it's that simple.

pay your fine, or whatever, then process for enlistment

join the Army or the Air Force or whatever, not the "job" becuase no matter what you join, that specific "airborne crypto linguist" may not be open or you may not fully qualify

you'll get job choice, and there are many great jobs in all branches

i'm retired army and was a recruiter, and i saw many kids come in with the specific job they wanted all printed up from goarmy.com. some got the one they wanted, some didn't because they didn't qualify or it wasn't open (although most intel jobs are always open since most applicants don't qualify)

if you join with an open juvie charge, even if you're "paying it off" it will come up and you won't like the result. i saw several kids (not my applicants) get all the way to the end of training and get bounced for something in their record they thought was "sealed" or "expunged".

Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM

58 posts, read 244,701 times
Well if you are willing to wait for your job, specifically airborne crypto linguist, the Air Force is hurting for them, you can go guaranteed with a contract, and an enlistment bonus. I almost went Coast Guard and have still thought about crossing into the Coast guard. Anyways whatever you do, DO NOT JOIN WITHOUT A GUARANTEED CONTRACT. You will end up with a job you wont like. In the Air Force you will end up as Security Forces, military police.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Get everything promised to you in writing. If you are promised a job or enlistment bonus make sure it is stated on your contract at MEPS. Don't rush into anything. Shop around and talk to different brances of service, and not just recruiters, but others who are serving so you get both sides of the story.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryBound09 View Post
Hi, I am a female, currently 18 years old although I will be 19 this coming July, and I am considering joining a branch of military soon after graduating this May (I am a senior in high school). I have a 17 year old sister who is also graduating this year, and is considering going into the Air Force and I did too until recently when I spoke with an army recruiter and he (the recruiter) made the army seem so glamorous.

Now, I m fully aware of the situation in the middle east and this is precisely why I have been diligently researching the army and the air force because those are the two branches that I am most interested in…

Initially I considered becoming an Airborne Crypto Linguist but upon further research I discovered that I may not qualify for the security clearance because I have one juvenile charge on my record, this charge (though it was juvenile) carried a hefty fine, one which I have not yet been able to pay off, and I am wondering that if I will be given an enlisting bonus upon entering the military, will a recruiter work with me so that I can enlist? I am pretty sure that I cannot join without first settling this fine. I would really like to join the Air force with my sister but given my situation I fear I will be forced to join the Army in order for this to be taken care of.

I would greatly appreciate any light that can be shed on this troubling matter. Thank you for your time

Appreciatively,
-MilitaryBound09
I just tried helping a young man that wants to join the Army. I have been in the Army the last 30 years.

This is what I suggest you do:
1. Sit down and write what exactly you would like to do when serving your country. Write down two or maybe three areas you would like to work on and list them by priority.

2. Contact someone that has been in those areas and get input from them as far as the assignment opportunities.

3. Look at those areas and compare their potential for future civilian job opportunities when you decide to leave the military.

4. Correct any legal issues you may have. If you have any outstanding traffic tickets, take care of them. You do not want to give the impression not being responsible by not paying a simple parking ticket.

You said you have been at the middle east situation. What does that mean? Do you want to join to help in the war cause or do you want to join in a field that have the less chances of sending you to the war front?

I now go back to the young man that approached about the same issue. The military is getting very strict on background checks. He had a drug issue as a juvenile when he was 15 and is a high school dropout. The door is pretty much shut on him. However, he said he was going to try to get his GED and pay take care of any legal issues. I told him I was willing to write a letter to the recruiting command or make an appointment with our congressman to see if he is willing to recommend him. However, before I do that he needs to have his GED and show me he took care of all legal issues so I can do anything on his behalf.

I enlisted in '78 when a lot of recruits enlisted because a judge told them "join the Army or go t jail, which do you prefer?". Not anymore.

I will gladly assist you with guidance. Do feel free to contact me. I will gladly help you if you decide to join the Army and for that matter any of the branches. I like to see happy Soldiers when they are serving but I would do a de-service to you, the Army and the country if I tried to make the Army service so glamorous. You ask me any question and I will tell you the good and bad and the ugly. I would get into the Army a bad Soldier that would be a detriment to the mission by giving you the wrong picture and you end up unhappy during your enlistment time.
I feel proud of any young man and women that decides to serve the country despite the fact that we are in a war. I salute you.

I do not remember if I put my email in my profile but if you want to you can send me some message through this forum and we can work on that.

Finally, I joined the Army to get a better education. I only had elementary education from Mexico. I will tell you the Army is what you make of it and if you want to, you can take advantage of all the opportunities the service provides. I have had the chance to do things and be in so many places I would never dream of outside the military. I have been in about 30 countries, 25 states and now I am working on my second master's degree. My daugthers got to see so much of the world and that education reflects in their lives.
With that, I will also say there were the rough spots but when I look back, no regreet. The good outweighs the bad.

Once you make up your mind about joining, then I will gladly guide you on what to ask and tell the recruiter when you go and see him/her.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
May I offer kudos to all you 'big, tough, gung-ho' types () for letting down the facade and reaching out to help a kid in need? All the posts so far offered very good advice. I knew you were all softies deep down inside! My hat's off to you.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryBound09 View Post
I spoke with an army recruiter and he (the recruiter) made the army seem so glamorous.
There's nothing glamorous about any of the services.

Quote:
Initially I considered becoming an Airborne Crypto Linguist
but upon further research I discovered that I may not qualify for the security clearance because I have one juvenile charge on my record, this charge (though it was juvenile) carried a hefty fine, one which I have not yet been able to pay off
My brother was in the same situation as you (unpaid fines). He wasn't able to enlist in the AF; therefore I think it unlikely that you would as well until you get it cleared up.

As for it being a showstopper for getting a security clearance that is not necessarily the case. Each is evaluated on a case by case basis.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues