Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,358 times

Advertisements

I
I was at the ROaks at the same time and we're in the same age group, too. I wonder if you could send a message. I would like to compare notes, exchange photos ecte ect ect
thanks
Kenneth King
sedatepmr at gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everetteb View Post
The world gets smaller everyday.

I was in Royal Oaks as a kid age 2-3yo, in 1964-65 timeframe, my dad was stationed there in Torrejon. We live next to a large open area, our unit was in a corner with a rocky wall that was below a roadway higher up. I remember rolling a tire accross the field that eventually rolled across a road and went down to a creek that had trees around it. There were also sheep herders that occasionally crossed the area there as well. There was a bus stop on that corner area that my mother would would go to the local town and shop. I remember eating a small pickled fish, some like "baccaroni" or similar. Sure did love that, closest thing to it today is wine pickled herring. There was a man that came around to our unit to cut our hair then too, always got a buzz cut. Going to the local store somewhere there and buying Bazooka Bubble Gum that was wrapped in comics, 2 for a penny, and everytime I found a penny, my sisters would take me. Playing with cap guns was the thing back then too. Those were fun days as I remember them. My sisters went to school there, they are DeLaine Baughman and Sheila Baughman, not sure of thier grade attended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,917 times
Msgt. William A. Stanton, SAC, was stationed at Torrejon from 1961 to 1964. Wife Helen (still living) and children Janelle, Billie, Sam and Joe. We stayed at the Aitanna Hotel in downtown Madrid initially, then lived in a tall apartment building over a panaderia, carneceria, pescaderia, etc., that occupied the first floor of that entire block. My parents' bedroom had a wrought-iron-fenced balcony directly over a bar, and the hoots and hollers from below often kept them up late. The view from the balcony was a huge empty field with a stinky dump directly across the street.

Then we moved to Royal Oaks, where my brothers and I attended elementary school. I played softball on Las Muñecas team. Our uniforms were green and white. I was terribly shy and awkward but gradually gained the nickname "The Little Slugger" and was presented the signed softball for "most improved player" at season's end. We spent our summers mostly at the pool.

My best friend was Joanna Sears, whom I would love to find. We tramped through the countryside endlessly with my dog, Elvis (nothing but a hound dog), and her dog, Newfie. We rode horses from the stable run by a man named Miguel, not far from Royal Oaks. When we ran out of babysitting money, he'd let us muck out the stalls and groom the horses so we could ride for free.

I remember a fruteria stand near the entry to Royal Oaks. They sold Fantas, and the door was draped by a curtain made of bent bottle caps on strings. Anyone else from that era have memories?

Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,424 times
Default Torrejon AFB

My father was stationed at Torrejon and we also lived at Royal Oaks from 65-68. We lived right next to the pool. My brother was a lifeguard there. Father Catilleo”Pat” Pesce

Old 02-24-2018, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,424 times
Lived royal oaks 65-68 next to pool. My dad Catilleo”Pat” Pesce. Brother lifeguard there

Old 02-25-2018, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
My family lived in Royal Oaks from 77-80, I was too young to attend the elementary at the time but did go to what I think was a Jewish kindergarten (maybe part of a larger Jewish school? No idea). We lived in Quarters 15A: alas, any old photos we have are just of the inside of the apartment so I can't fully recall the exterior beyond memories. I did have a friend named Avi, my age, we would read Superman and other DC comics and play with toys at his place. I do recall some older (relatively) kids that sold comic books on the side of the street one day, so I tried it myself with my own collection -- didn't sell much, but it was fun to be business-y at that time.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:29 AM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
How could I forget the trips to Madrid.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:47 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
My husband was stationed there 1980-83. It was an amazing adventure. We live in Torrejon for 6 months then the Royal Oaks.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
My husband was stationed at Torrejon AB 1980-83. Our son was a year old. We lived in the Royal Oaks.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/0e...fa63ce4b51.jpg looking a this map of housing we would have lived in #27. We were at the bottom of the hill. Did anyone else have ants, ants that seem to eat thru the walls, we would wake up and they would be all over the floors.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,619 times
Hi Bob, I attended Royal Oaks Jr High in 1961 - 1963. My family did not live in Royal Oaks so I faintly remember Brusa Park. My family lived on the Generalissimo. Living in Spain were the best years of my life. I was fortunate to live there for 10 years and graduated from Madrid High School in 1967.

I have often thought of you because of the tragic death of your father. Please accept my deepest sympathy in the loss of your father at such a young age. At the age that I was in 1961, I had no idea of the enormity of your family's loss.

Do you remember Steve Berger, Earl Cornette, Dan Brownlee or Greg Hammer? They attended Royal Oaks also. Dan's dad was a teacher at Royals Oaks. I am in contact with Earl; he and I have attended Madrid High School reunions.

Kind regards,
Norma Villarreal-Lindsey

Old 04-05-2018, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,571 times
I remember your Dad, he was the head coach of the Madrid All Star baseball team (little league/Royal Oaks), I played with the Avengers (my Dad MSgt Frank Navagato was one of the team coaches) 1959-1961. I was selected for the Madrid All Star team (Fred Navagato). Captain Brusa was truly a great coach! I think it was 1961 we were scheduled to play the first game in the Little League All Star playoffs in Rota Spain. Your dad choose me as Pitcher for the first game. I pitched a no hitter that day but we lost 1-0 because of an error by our First Basemen. I'll be 70 this year...but I still remember everything like it happened yesterday!

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 05-03-2018 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: deleted personal contact information - not a good idea here to post such as spam spiders are always scanning posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues