Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times

Advertisements

What did the mayor do but say a few words and put a curfew in affect. that isn't going to do anything. In fact thats a sign of weakness to the offenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
What did the mayor do but say a few words and put a curfew in affect. that isn't going to do anything. In fact thats a sign of weakness to the offenders.

Well the curfew is over in 2 weeks which leds to the question what was the point of it if it was going to end so quickly? it's ending because schools starts in 2 weeks but is that going to stop a 17 year old from being in downtown philly after 11pm on a friday?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:59 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well the curfew is over in 2 weeks which leds to the question what was the point of it if it was going to end so quickly? it's ending because schools starts in 2 weeks but is that going to stop a 17 year old from being in downtown philly after 11pm on a friday?
This is how I look at the curfew. I understand it is meant to prevent more crime, but I don't think it will work. I speak from experience. Vast majority of the times I was attacked by people, it was during the daytime. The first time anyone shot me with anything(and it was a paintball gun), it was after school, around 4PM as I was getting off the bus. One of the high school students got there before I did, and he might have skipped school that day too. This happened when I was 11. When I got older, a bunch of teenagers jumped me while it was still daylight outside(it was around 7PM), in front of cars driving by. One thing I learned is that a curfew doesn't work.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyblue09 View Post
I am glad that the Philly mayor is taking this situation seriously. There have been too many incidents like this recently. It's getting out of hand.

As for the issue of how a black person would be treated in Milwaukee, I don't think you will have any problems if you behave like a normal person who isn't trying to start problems. I do think that these recent incidents have probably harmed race relations to some extent but I think the majority of white people still understand that not all black people act like this.
The thing is, this stuff has happened in other cities. I don't know why this is happening. I will say this. As an African-American male, I am upset for many reasons. I would never engage in that kind of behavior. It is repugnant and wrong.

I also have another problem. There are African-American males, like me, who decide not to be a part of this dysfunctional behavior, who decide to be upstanding people, who decide to get an education. People like me, who decide to live in a civilized manner. However, the more Black people like myself(and my father) try to separate ourselves from those forms of repugnant behavior, the more it happens. My father is from Milwaukee, born and raised. He has a master's degree. He left Milwaukee because he found opportunities elsewhere. His old neighborhood isn't looking too good right now. For him, it might do him more harm than good to live there. He didn't want to raise his kids in an environment with all kinds of violence and drugs and dysfunctional behavior. But there are some people who will use the bad behavior of the individuals from the WI State Fair and judge me that way. It's ignorant as I don't subscribe to such behaviors. At the same time, when it happens, it still hurts.

I do agree that it has harmed race relations. This is part of my concern. Not all White people think in such prejudice ways. I also know that with stuff like this, tension tends to loom, at least for a few days or weeks. When Los Angeles got the Rodney King riots, there were riots in Atlanta. After the riots, there were tension looming for a time. It passed, but it isn't encouraging for this kind of tension to be there. Will I be attacked in Milwaukee, well, chances are, if I have my wits about me, it won't happen.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyblue09 View Post
I am glad that the Philly mayor is taking this situation seriously. There have been too many incidents like this recently. It's getting out of hand.

As for the issue of how a black person would be treated in Milwaukee, I don't think you will have any problems if you behave like a normal person who isn't trying to start problems. I do think that these recent incidents have probably harmed race relations to some extent but I think the majority of white people still understand that not all black people act like this.
I'm sure they understand that not all of us act like this, but it seems like they think most of us do.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
That's kind of painting all white people with the same brush, isn't it?

My next door neighbors for years were educated, intelligent, hardworking, religious, and black. We got along wonderfully; had friendly competitions with our landscaping, flowers, went shopping together, etc. As their children grew, their daughter was molested in the hallway of the high school and got pregnant. When her mom went to the mainly-black school board (the black principal refused to call the cops and the black and white teachers who saw it refused to stop it or say anything) Mom was told, "But that's how black people are; you're black, don't you understand that?" She was furious but could do nothing, no one would help her. Her daughter had the baby, got a good job as a caterer, and put herself thru nursing school; we were all so proud of her when she bought her own house! Yet she cannot find a decent black man to date; even the ones she chose, with jobs like construction, etc, she would catch out in the backyard smoking crack or bringing other women into her home when she wasn't there - and ask her what her problem was! When my 15-year-old daughter was being harassed by a white stalker who was peeping in our windows when we weren't home, my neighbor called the house, told her to turn the lights off, called the cops and then went out in her yard with her .38 to run him off when the cops shrugged it off as "harmless".

To me it seems like the low expectations of blacks from blacks keep each other down; like crabs in a bucket, no one gets to climb higher because the others pull him back. It is very hard to fight that kind of mental, emotional, and even physical pressure! I am very concerned about the people who talk about "the coming race war" because there are few people I would rather stand beside than those neighbors, fighting for each other. People should neither be excused nor vilified only because of their race. A lot of people with whom I associate - white, black, hispanic, and Indian - feel the same way. Assaults on other peoples' liberties should be prosecuted individually without regard to race. Prosecute the criminal, no matter what color s/he is, what church s/he belongs to, what neighborhood s/he comes from, whose family s/he is from. That is the only way to stop this disparaging of whole races for the acts of a few. Demand justice for ALL, and excuses for NONE. "Stop Black-on-Black Crime!"? NO. Stop CRIME, because every assault diminishes us ALL.

Last edited by SCGranny; 08-28-2011 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-28-2011, 02:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRob1125 View Post
I'm sure they understand that not all of us act like this, but it seems like they think most of us do.

probably because it's happening in several cities and it falls back on the older generation of blacks.

Just a guess

Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
That's kind of painting all white people with the same brush, isn't it?

My next door neighbors for years were educated, intelligent, hardworking, religious, and black. We got along wonderfully; had friendly competitions with our landscaping, flowers, went shopping together, etc. As their children grew, their daughter was molested in the hallway of the high school and got pregnant. When her mom went to the mainly-black school board (the black principal refused to call the cops and the black and white teachers who saw it refused to stop it or say anything) Mom was told, "But that's how black people are; you're black, don't you understand that?" She was furious but could do nothing, no one would help her. Her daughter had the baby, got a good job as a caterer, and put herself thru nursing school; we were all so proud of her when she bought her own house! Yet she cannot find a decent black man to date; even the ones she chose, with jobs like construction, etc, she would catch out in the backyard smoking crack or bringing other women into her home when she wasn't there - and ask her what her problem was! When my 15-year-old daughter was being harassed by a white stalker who was peeping in our windows when we weren't home, my neighbor called the house, told her to turn the lights off, called the cops and then went out in her yard with her .38 to run him off when the cops shrugged it off as "harmless".

To me it seems like the low expectations of blacks from blacks keep each other down; like crabs in a bucket, no one gets to climb higher because the others pull him back. It is very hard to fight that kind of mental, emotional, and even physical pressure! I am very concerned about the people who talk about "the coming race war" because there are few people I would rather stand beside than those neighbors, fighting for each other. People should neither be excused nor vilified only because of their race. A lot of people with whom I associate - white, black, hispanic, and Indian - feel the same way. Assaults on other peoples' liberties should be prosecuted individually without regard to race. Prosecute the criminal, no matter what color s/he is, what church s/he belongs to, what neighborhood s/he comes from, whose family s/he is from. That is the only way to stop this disparaging of whole races for the acts of a few. Demand justice for ALL, and excuses for NONE. "Stop Black-on-Black Crime!"? NO. Stop CRIME, because every assault diminishes us ALL.
AMEN!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've wanted to go back. I have sometimes wondered if these "flash mob attacks"(Mayfair, Riverwest, WI State Fair) will cause a heightened suspicion of me as an African-American if I were to travel to Milwaukee. I have wondered about that sometimes. I still want to travel up there, just for fun, just to see how it is now.
white people will suspect you, being a black man, no matter how you dress, how you behave. To them they're looking for you to prove their stereotypes true. The "flash mobs" haven't changed anything. It was the same song and dance before, and after.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
The curfew is ridiculous btw. Teenagers have a right to be out if they're law behaving. If not, then punish them. This is just expanding police powers who they can molest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee