Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Trinitylove sounds like a real wet blanket...in addition to being a tad condescending. Yes, it's part of the culture for many in WI and Milwaukee, that's the way it is and the way many like it-nothing "sad" about it unless you are one of the minority contracting cirrhosis of the liver, racking up DUIs or committing domestic abuse under the influence.
That's how I read it, although the OP's user name set off my fire and brimstone alarm before I read the first word. When someone wears religion on their sleeve, I'm immediately suspicious that the user will be preaching from moral high ground, which always seems to be highest at the point on which the person preaching, stands. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Milwaukee is a menace to sobriety?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM

905 posts, read 791,399 times
Very true Boulevardier, very true.

Harrier, I'd phrase it more like if you CHOOSE not to be sober for a time, then Milwaukee will kindly accommodate you in myriad ways.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 AM

251 posts, read 572,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
If you don't have an idea or an opinion about what the cause could be, how can you presume it to be a symptom of something greater?
I can presume it to be a symptom of something greater, because whenever there is an epidemic of self-destructive behavior/addiction/disease, the root cause is internal and manifests itself externally.
Nobody who drinks excessively does it "just because." There is an underlying cause from within.
I can't determine what that is for each person.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 AM

I wonder how differently the direction of this thread would have gone had I praised the results of the study on drunkenness/excessive alcohol use.

What if I had been all "woooohooooo!! yeah! go Milwaukee! party hardy! let's show the country how to really drink! ?

I bet there would be a lot of people chiming in with virtual high fives and thumbs up all over the place.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Trinitylove sounds like a real wet blanket...in addition to being a tad condescending. Yes, it's part of the culture for many in WI and Milwaukee, that's the way it is and the way many like it-nothing "sad" about it unless you are one of the minority contracting cirrhosis of the liver, racking up DUIs or committing domestic abuse under the influence.
The whole entire point of this thread is that there is NOT a minority in the Milwaukee/Wisconsin area. The point is that the users/abusers/dependents/victims are NOT in the minority.
Any study on alcoholism and the excessive use of alcohol in Wisconsin will show you that.
I mean, if there was a minority, why would this even be an issue? Why would there be dozens of studies proving otherwise?

Anyway, think of me what you will my fellow Wisconsinites, write up your profiles/assumptions/views of me however inaccurate you'd like.

I do not find anything positive in what the studies and findings show about the alcohol culture. Never will.
I'm out

Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
I can presume it to be a symptom of something greater, because whenever there is an epidemic of self-destructive behavior/addiction/disease, the root cause is internal and manifests itself externally.
Nobody who drinks excessively does it "just because." There is an underlying cause from within.
I can't determine what that is for each person.

These are regional statistics we're looking at. Every car accident has a cause. But if a region has twice as many car accidents as another region, the factor is probably not because every single driver is inattentive, or every single driver is color blind. It might be environmental (ice, snow, fog), or it might be related to poorly marked intersections. Or congestion related.

Since the topic was started as a regional discussion, and you asserted that the statistics were a symptom of something greater, you have to have an idea about what it is. There probably is a factor, or many factors, which drive these statistics. If so, what could it be, or what could they be?

Some example questions that might steer you: Does one group of people skew the statistics more than another? Why do Seattle drinkers drink 1.6 drinks less per month than Milwaukee drinkers (14.1 per month for Seattle, vs 15.7 per month for Milwaukee)? Or looking at it another way, what makes the top 25, or the top 10, or the top 3, similar to each other? Or are the factors unique to each city? Is it weather related? Age related? Race? Number of students? Patterns of migration or population stability? Does Milwaukee's #3 status relate to Chicago's #5 status? Why isn't Salt Lake City on the list?

If someone were to ask me what I thought, I'd guess that it had something to do with a lot of Milwaukee being built on making beer. Historically, alcohol was one of the major industries. Chicago is right down the street from Milwaukee... but I don't know if that factor would also apply to Chicago, or if Chicago could have its very own factors.

What do you think might be the reason, or even just a reason, that qualifies Milwaukee, or even any of the top cities, to claim their place on the list?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM

905 posts, read 791,399 times

I wonder how differently the direction of this thread would have gone had I praised the results of the study on drunkenness/excessive alcohol use.

What if I had been all "woooohooooo!! yeah! go Milwaukee! party hardy! let's show the country how to really drink! ?

I bet there would be a lot of people chiming in with virtual high fives and thumbs up all over the place.

Um, hardly. This board doesn't attract such a sophomoric crowd. That you paint people who drink with such absurdly large brushstrokes speaks volumes about your inability to see nuance in life or people's chosen lifestyles. As you said, "I'm out"-good, stay out, the city of Milwaukee doesn't need simpletons like you passing judgment.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
I accept all nations except Carrie!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM

192 posts, read 497,417 times
Milwaukee sucked before the study came out and will suck long after.

Its a crummy town that thinks they are BIG CITY. LOL what a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: