Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 12,526 times

Advertisements

I just moved out of Milwaukee, but recently I came across its new ad campaign "Brew City to New City." The idea is that while Milwaukee remembers its past, it is strictly focused on the future, that is, becoming a new type of city.

In my opinion, such a PR/marketing strategy is a mistake.

Of all of the rust-belt MSAs, Milwaukee was the only one to actually increase its population. However, it is still not growing as fast as comparatively-sized MSAs elsewhere, say, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or Oklahoma City. Milwaukee doesn't have, the "cool" and "in" factor that Austin and Portland have and that Pittsburgh is starting to develop.

The key to the success for any metro area is maintaining/growing its population/workforce, attracting young professionals, and keeping/attracting businesses, among other things. That said, it is essential that Milwaukee not only grow, but continue to grow at least as fast as comparatively-sized cities, especially those close to Milwaukee.

What comes to mind when you think of Indianapolis? Peyton Manning? Indy 500? What comes to mind when you think of Cincinnati? I've been to those cities, and they're cool and all, but they have no identity. Milwaukee, on the other hand, has something that these cities do not--an image.

Milwaukee, far and wide, is known as a beer city (or perhaps a drunk city); we, as a city, have something companies strive for--brand recognition. I think the city needs to use that to its advantage. Why is having a brand useful? For one, it attracts visitors. I don't think anybody would fly from as far as LA or NYC just to see Milwaukee, but we could definitely attract tourists from other areas of the Midwest.

Second, to many young people, beer connotes fun and good times. If we market ourselves properly, people will think of Milwaukee, not as an old, washed-up, rust-belt city with a bunch of drunkards, but rather a place to have fun, taste beers, and enjoy the nightlife. This, in my opinion, would make it much more attractive to young professionals, many of whom will come and start businesses here or work for many of the existing businesses.

Forbes recently ranked Milwaukee as a great city for young professionals. Playboy recently ranked Marquette as the best Catholic party school. Milwaukee is historically known for its bratwurst, custard, cheese, and most notably, beer. We need to combine these facts into one marketing strategy. Contrary to what local politicians and business-leaders believe, we will actually attract young professionals to the area, not deter them.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I like how you conflate "beer/drunk" together, as if you can't have one without the other. Not to mention there's already a fairly lengthy thread on the subject.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM

I don't conflate beer/drunk, but I know many people do. I meant to convey the view that people outside Milwaukee have of the city. People see it as a beer and/or drunk city.

Thanks for the link to the other thread, it didn't come up when I searched. However, to be sure, the thread is a little different. I specifically want to know people's thoughts on whether marketing the current image, or trying to spin it in a positive light would be a good idea.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltophilly View Post
I just moved out of Milwaukee, but recently I came across its new ad campaign "Brew City to New City." The idea is that while Milwaukee remembers its past, it is strictly focused on the future, that is, becoming a new type of city.

Of all of the rust-belt MSAs, Milwaukee was the only one to actually increase its population. However, it is still not growing as fast as comparatively-sized MSAs elsewhere, say, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or Oklahoma City. Milwaukee doesn't have, the "cool" and "in" factor that Austin and Portland have and that Pittsburgh is starting to develop.

The key to the success for any metro area is maintaining/growing its population/workforce, attracting young professionals, and keeping/attracting businesses, among other things. That said, it is essential that Milwaukee not only grow, but continue to grow at least as fast as comparatively-sized cities, especially those close to Milwaukee.

What comes to mind when you think of Indianapolis? Peyton Manning? Indy 500? What comes to mind when you think of Cincinnati? I've been to those cities, and they're cool and all, but they have no identity. Milwaukee, on the other hand, has something that these cities do not--an image.

Milwaukee, far and wide, is known as a beer city (or perhaps a drunk city); we, as a city, have something companies strive for--brand recognition. I think the city needs to use that to its advantage. Why is having a brand useful? For one, it attracts visitors. I don't think anybody would fly from as far as LA or NYC just to see Milwaukee, but we could definitely attract tourists from other areas of the Midwest.

Second, to many young people, beer connotes fun and good times. If we market ourselves properly, people will think of Milwaukee, not as an old, washed-up, rust-belt city with a bunch of drunkards, but rather a place to have fun, taste beers, and enjoy the nightlife. This, in my opinion, would make it much more attractive to young professionals, many of whom will come and start businesses here or work for many of the existing businesses.

Forbes recently ranked Milwaukee as a great city for young professionals. Playboy recently ranked Marquette as the best Catholic party school. Milwaukee is historically known for its bratwurst, custard, cheese, and most notably, beer. We need to combine these facts into one marketing strategy. Contrary to what local politicians and business-leaders believe, we will actually attract young professionals to the area, not deter them.

I don't think Milwaukee should be marketing that image. If people think Milwaukee is only a town for drinking, that will attract the wrong kind of elements. Sure, it might attract young professionals, but only for a short time. Those professionals will turn 30, have kids, and head for Waukesha, West Allis, Whitefish Bay,etc. Young people drinking can have its costs. Milwaukee needs to show that it is more than just drinking. It needs to show more things. I needs to bank on its history. It is still a city with alot of interesting things. I would like to see the young attracted to Milwaukee, but for the right reasons. I want to see the innovators go to Milwaukee.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
I think Miltophilly is on the right track. The idea is not to promote Milwaukee as "only a drinking city" but to use the image of it as a place where great beer is made and combine it with other positive aspects that will attract people who will drive economic growth. I am an outsider. I have lived my entire life on the west coast and never been east of the Rocky Mountains. I have perused this forum because Wisconsin is a state that I wish to visit soon and I have learned much about your state from reading threads here. Being an outsider, I say - use your history to your advantage. Don't be ashamed of it. All strong economic centers need a vibrant downtown with an entertainment scene. Combine that with business friendly policies: low taxes, incentives to relocate a business in Milwaukee, little "red tape" and unneccesary regulation and watch what happens. I already want to visit Milwaukee. Use the city's past heritage to help attract other people who might have overlooked the city but may reconsider if a package is presented that they can't resist. I will be there for a week or so and come back to the Pacific Ocean. Others may find Milwaukee fits there idea of a new home and lay down roots on Lake Michigan. I wouldn't be to hasty to dismiss what Miltophilly is suggesting.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:04 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times

Let's go drink some BEEEEER!!!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,886 times
Milwaukee does have brand recognition and it does have a kind of understated working class cool that some people like. I think Milwaukee needs to build on that aspect alone. Is that possible? I think some people will have lame ideas like pretending certain neighborhoods are more like trendy places on the coasts. Milwaukee needs to build on that old retro blue collar, rust belt, beer,microbrew, Laverne and Shirly, Bronzeville vibe that all the posers want to say they are from. Milwaukee has character. People from there should be proud. As many american cities look more and more bland from gentrification and boring urban planning they will come to appreciate Milwaukee more.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM

149 posts, read 315,201 times
I'm sorry, but per capita, La Crosse kicks Milwaukee's butt for # of drunks.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Milwaukee does have brand recognition and it does have a kind of understated working class cool that some people like. I think Milwaukee needs to build on that aspect alone. Is that possible? I think some people will have lame ideas like pretending certain neighborhoods are more like trendy places on the coasts. Milwaukee needs to build on that old retro blue collar, rust belt, beer,microbrew, Laverne and Shirly, Bronzeville vibe that all the posers want to say they are from. Milwaukee has character. People from there should be proud. As many american cities look more and more bland from gentrification and boring urban planning they will come to appreciate Milwaukee more.

Bingo!! I couldn't agree more. Let's be realistic, we can't compete with many cities for white-collar, young professionals, and I'm not sure we need to be. We simply need a PR campaign that takes Milwaukee's existing facilities and spins them in a positive light.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltophilly View Post

I would not say Cincinnati is growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee