Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 AM

156 posts, read 351,397 times

Advertisements

Yeah my first reaction Empidonax is that I think people tend to have multiple motives for their lifestyle choices.

But I recognize now that Steve Bowen is simply making an argument against the Hipster ethos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM

156 posts, read 351,397 times
This thread reminded me that OnMilwaukee had an April Fools article on hipsters.

OnMilwaukee.com Marketplace: Pabst executive insults hipsters at beer industry event

Old 09-08-2013, 03:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
I think that one's motivations for doing something are almost as important as what one does. I also think that sincerity is very important. The hipster ethos revels in insincerity. The hipster ethos virtually precludes sincerely enjoying and valuing something, in and of itself. Hipsters make most consumptive decisions to impress others, yet hipsters are obsessed with authenticity. That's utter hypocrisy.

The phony locavore hipster is a hypocrite living an inauthentic life, while claiming to value authenticity.

So, like suburbanites keeping up with the jones? That's about as inauthentic as you can get.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
So, like suburbanites keeping up with the Jones? That's about as inauthentic as you can get.
This rarely goes on, maybe in River Hills it might happen but this keeping up with the jones is widely over blown. Do you really think a family in West Allis says "Ugh! Bob got a Chevy Cruise now I have got to go get a Buick lucerne!" or do you think majority of people in Delafield say "Darn! Phil just bought a $300,000 house now we have to move and buy a $320,000 house!" I am not saying there are not people out there that do this but it's not even a sizable majority. I am willing to bet keeping up with the Jones goes on more often in any high school than it does in suburbs any where in America.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
This rarely goes on, maybe in River Hills it might happen but this keeping up with the jones is widely over blown. Do you really think a family in West Allis says "Ugh! Bob got a Chevy Cruise now I have got to go get a Buick lucerne!" or do you think majority of people in Delafield say "Darn! Phil just bought a $300,000 house now we have to move and buy a $320,000 house!" I am not saying there are not people out there that do this but it's not even a sizable majority. I am willing to bet keeping up with the Jones goes on more often in any high school than it does in suburbs any where in America.
Ok, I'll remember to tell that to my coworker who lives in Brookfield. She'll be interested in hearing that what she deals with on a daily basis is false according to someone on a forum that lives not in a suburb, lol.

Last edited by northnut; 09-08-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Shinners View Post
I'm curious why is it deserving of scorn to participate in locavorism for the motive of impressing others?

Doing anything purely or mostly to impress peers generally deserves scorn.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Doing anything purely or mostly to impress peers generally deserves scorn.
I think you may be confused. More people realize how much better the quality of food is when you buy local, & it's also cheaper. The younger generation has pretty much known this all along which is why you probably see more younger people buying local. That's not impressing your peers, that's called just regular shopping for local food.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM

101 posts, read 200,074 times
Yeah, I find it hard to believe that people eating "locally sourced omelets" thinking this is the coolest omelet I've ever eaten. Are they trying to impress their upper digestive track because it's so judgmental? Omelets aren't cool no matter what (except maybe in a diner eaten ironically pulp fiction style).

Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I think you may be confused. More people realize how much better the quality of food is when you buy local, & it's also cheaper. The younger generation has pretty much known this all along which is why you probably see more younger people buying local. That's not impressing your peers, that's called just regular shopping for local food.
It is often better, not always (never mind the myth regarding the perceived environmental footprint that is often touted). It certainly is not always cheaper. Farmers markets, etc are often considerably more expensive than super markets. CSAs can be cheaper though but it is more risky. Bragging at all about how you eat, where you shop, etc is just plain silliness.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is often better, not always (never mind the myth regarding the perceived environmental footprint that is often touted). It certainly is not always cheaper. Farmers markets, etc are often considerably more expensive than super markets. CSAs can be cheaper though but it is more risky. Bragging at all about how you eat, where you shop, etc is just plain silliness.
I don't think anyone is bragging when they mention shopping at farmer's markets. It's just a fact. Most of the items at markets are cheaper than grocery stores & much better quality. I would prefer to shop at a farmer's market if they were open everyday, that'd be awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee