Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, my white sister (way back in the 1990's, when she was in High School) was pulled over once for driving a '72 Catalina in Brookfield...that was the only reason. I guess the cops were looking for a drug dealer, which my sis obviously was not, especially in her Burger King uniform. We still laugh about that car to this day. By the way, she didn't ***** about being pulled over for no reason, but your complaining made me think about that story.
Right when I came back from the marines I was pulled over 3 times in one week for "suspicious vehicle". In Pewaukee, Jefferson and Milwaukee. They searched my car and searched me but since I am squeaky clean they found nothing. It can happen to anyone anywhere, my advice is to obey the law and you'll have no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 28,349 times
Anyway, to answer the question, I would say generally Brookfield is considered more prestigious and is more expensive than New Berlin. Though, I have to say, there are some beautiful homes and etc. in New Berlin, they are kind of off the beaten path.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM

32 posts, read 203,346 times
all I can do is SMH.....

Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 AM

196 posts, read 474,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, my white sister (way back in the 1990's, when she was in High School) was pulled over once for driving a '72 Catalina in Brookfield...that was the only reason. I guess the cops were looking for a drug dealer, which my sis obviously was not, especially in her Burger King uniform. We still laugh about that car to this day. By the way, she didn't ***** about being pulled over for no reason, but your complaining made me think about that story.
I think there are two groups that law enforcement are more likely to stop/question, keep an eye on, and treat unfairly in general: teenagers and blacks -- As according to your statement, this was WAY back in 1990 when your sister was in highschool. In regards to Milwaukee City being stopped: well, he's only 27 years of age now. I'm guessing when he was in the Marines was some time ago around his late teens or at least very early twenties when he could have resembled a teenager. Call me crazy but I think there's a much higher chance of law enforcement stopping a group of teenagers out at night or blacks in a city like New Berlin (or anywhere for that matter) as opposed to say a group of whites in they're 30s walking the streets at night.

If you have difficulty believing a black person could be racially profiled in a suburb like New Berlin as user Readyforchange claims he was, less we not forget what the purpose of suburbs are for in the first place. That should say a lot. Regardless if user Readyforchange's issue was race-based or not, given the track record, blacks aren't crazy to suspect racism in issues like this.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 01-28-2010 at 05:02 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 PM

57 posts, read 63,879 times
Brookfield is generally more upper middle class and suburban than new Berlin. That could be viewed as a negative thing though. If you don't drive a BMW to school some people will think ur poor. There's no diversity either. Also, people can't really walk around because there are very few sidewalks in Brookfield. Some pros to Brookfield are that it's safe, clean, and the schools are good since 99% of the students go to college.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 AM

711 posts, read 1,689,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic3t View Post
Brookfield is generally more upper middle class and suburban than new Berlin. That could be viewed as a negative thing though. If you don't drive a BMW to school some people will think ur poor. There's no diversity either. Also, people can't really walk around because there are very few sidewalks in Brookfield. Some pros to Brookfield are that it's safe, clean, and the schools are good since 99% of the students go to college.
And every child is above average...

Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 PM

158 posts, read 660,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
less we not forget what the purpose of suburbs are for in the first place.
Please elaborate...

Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 AM

196 posts, read 474,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iburytheliving View Post
Please elaborate...
As long as you have the ability to see objective commentary on the history of American race relations as just that, as opposed to some sort of malicious anti-white racial attack; one that results in you taking offense and resorting to ad hominem arguments or any other forms of unprovoked hostility. Other behaviors that are inappropriate for a debate include non sequiturs that have absolutely no relation to the subject matter and opinionated inability to reason with. I only debate like mature adults on these subject matters. That means with people who can hear about America's history in terms of race relations without seeing it as a racial attack and becoming defensive. If you have a relevant opposing view, I more than welcome it. I just ask that you express it respectfully with reasonable enough evidence that backs it up. Same goes with present outsiders that feel the need to intrude on this interaction, otherwise I will not share in the discussion and report if necessary. With that said, you've asked me to elaborate on my comment:

You know, the widespread white flight to the suburbs throughout the 1970s, coincidentally exactly around the time legalized racial discrimination/torment in which blacks were denied most of their rights was gradually coming to an end; this of course separating the wealth of society away from the black community who prior to that time hadn't the opportunity to make barely any monetary gain because of the legalization of racial discrimination, and prior to that, the anti-black slavery era. Instead of the white community cleaning up the mess they'd stuck the black community in throughout the 1970s by simply sticking around when the era of anti-black atrocities was coming to an end, widespread white flight took off all over the country. Ironically enough in the minds of countless whites I come across over the Internet, the innercities just happened to become trashy and crime-infested because of the "irresponsibility and laziness of African Americans" while the suburbs were seen as a lovely, clean living environment because of the "responsibility and good work ethic of white Americans."

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 03-21-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 AM

180 posts, read 663,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
You know, the widespread white flight to the suburbs throughout the 1970s, coincidentally exactly around the time legalized racial discrimination/torment in which blacks were denied most of their rights was gradually coming to an end; this of course separating the wealth of society away from the black community who prior to that time hadn't the opportunity to make barely any monetary gain because of the legalization of racial discrimination, and prior to that, the anti-black slavery era. Instead of the white community cleaning up the mess they'd stuck the black community in throughout the 1970s by simply sticking around when the era of anti-black atrocities was coming to an end, widespread white flight took off all over the country. Ironically enough in the minds of countless whites I come across over the Internet, the innercities just happened to become trashy and crime-infested because of the "irresponsibility and laziness of African Americans" while the suburbs were seen as a lovely, clean living environment because of the "responsibility and good work ethic of white Americans."
co-sign 1000%... great post The entire reason suburbs were created was to deliberately exclude people. It's naive to think that mentality hasn't been interwoven into the general atmosphere of these places.

Also... just an observation, but I can't find another forum on city-data with so many "Is this neighborhood safe?" type threads. Are people in Milwaukee's suburbs either that soft or that comfortable with their privilege that they think they're above actually going into these neighborhoods and experiencing them first hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
If people think, either white or not white, if they think they can go through life their whole life without experiencing some racial discrimination well then, no one can help you. I had some bad experiences living in the central city as a white kid does that mean all blacks in the central city are racists? or the whole city of Milwaukee is racists towards whites and I can tell you it was a lot more than "some".
No offense, but I don't think being harassed by some knuckleheads who use race as a basis to be dicks compares to being harassed by city employees who can potentially cause the rest of your life to come into question just because they're having a bad day.

I say this as one of the few white kids who went to Washington High School in the 90s... but ironically, pretty much all of the s**t I got came from the white kids they bussed in from the southside who acted as if I was some kind of race-traitor for actually getting along with my black classmates.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,421 times
[quote=Solas;13384845]

Also... just an observation, but I can't find another forum on city-data with so many "Is this neighborhood safe?" type threads. Are people in Milwaukee's suburbs either that soft or that comfortable with their privilege that they think they're above actually going into these neighborhoods and experiencing them first hand?

I'm with you 100% on this one. I thought it was just me. We may be the most paranoid people in the entire U.S.A. The posts on this forum amaze me, such as is Pewaukee or Waukesha safe or is it O.K. to drive down Capitol Dr during the middle of the day. The shocking thing is, it is even worse off this forum. Many residents in outlying area fear crossing 124th street at any time, even to go to places such as Mayfair or Summerfest. Were not even talking the north side, but almost all of Milwaukee County. Many folks think crossing 124th street is like entering South Africa or a war zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee