Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:21 AM

427 posts, read 1,224,301 times

Advertisements

Who is looking out for the young man/woman these days? I remember when i was younger before i could drive and would go to the mall with some friends and get something to eat, do a little shopping with allowance or b-day/christmas money, maybe watch a movie on a friday night. Why be so restrictive to the younger folks? I bet most people would have a problem if the sign said no one over 65 allowed after 4. If the younger people are going to be out on the town i'd rather see them hanging out at the mall than off doing drugs in the park or vandalizing cars or doing something that might land them in the back of a cop car. I remember my youth well and i know what bored kids do on friday and saturday when there is nothing else they can do. They're as free and equal as the rest of us i say, keep their entertainment options open. Just my 2 cents on the issue, no need to argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
I find the MOA quite convenient, in contrast to many of the opinions here. The way the parking structures are set up, you can often park closer than you can at other malls, and it's covered parking to boot. I went on opening day in 1992, and even on that day parking wasn't overly hard to find, and it didn't seem that crowded for the number of people there.
It's beautifully set up, and the ramps are wonderful. It's just big, that's all.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:43 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
I find the MOA quite convenient, in contrast to many of the opinions here. The way the parking structures are set up, you can often park closer than you can at other malls, and it's covered parking to boot. I went on opening day in 1992, and even on that day parking wasn't overly hard to find, and it didn't seem that crowded for the number of people there.
Oh man I bet that it was so awesome in 1992. I was only born in 1992, Lol so even if I did go I wouldn't remember it.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
? I bet most people would have a problem if the sign said no one over 65 allowed after 4.
That is very, very true.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Phase II expansion of Mall of America when commenced will make it the largest mall in America again, and the largest in the world.

I hope they get public transit in that thing, I would not want to walk that.
I visited that mall last year and spent 3 hours just getting around the first floor,kinda lost interest in going to the 2nd and 3rd floors,i'd imagine if they are expanding the place they will just add more floors as there doesnt seem like there is a lot of room for lateral expansion.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:33 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Does anybody understand that the "Mall of America" is just a name, and it is not America's mall? It's not like the Federal government decided to build a mall that represented America and chose Minnesota, it's just a name that the developers came up with (a cleaver one at that) to get people to think that this is THE mall of America to visit. This is why it's not located in Omaha, KC, Las Vegas, Dallas, Houston, some other Sunbelt city of the week, or Springfield, MO (near the population epicenter of the U.S.).

Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I visited that mall last year and spent 3 hours just getting around the first floor,kinda lost interest in going to the 2nd and 3rd floors,i'd imagine if they are expanding the place they will just add more floors as there doesnt seem like there is a lot of room for lateral expansion.
There is plenty of room of lateral expansion (that's the plan, eventually). Check Google Earth and you will notice a nice empty parking lot behind the mall.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Houston has the Galleria, 7th largest mall in the USA. No it isnt quite as big as MOA but its still plenty big. The Galleria also opened in 1970 while MoA opened in 1992, so why would Houston need another giant megamall? Dallas has the Northpark Center opened in 1965, again much smaller but still pretty big, big enough where they don't need another giant megamall.

Oh man, I've always wondered how easy it'd be to enforce that. Unless they have an ID of some sort, how can you prove they're under 16? Also it seems like they never advertise that, it'd be nice if they had signs on entrance doors and such saying people under 16 need to be accompanied by an adult. I only found out about this rule like around 5 years ago when my cousin managed a store there and he told me about it. I also have no idea how many security gaurds they have on duty at a time and I got no clue what the average amount of shoplifting is per day and such, and stuff like preventing shoplifting is better then kicking teenagers under 16 out unless they are causing trouble. I myself wish this was enforced A LOT more so we wouldn't have to deal with annoying teenagers, but what can you do? Like I said if they dont have an ID on them you can't exactly prove they're under 16.
I thought it was under 18 and they DO enforce the rule with mall security standing at every entrance carding people, if you look under 18 and don't have an ID, out you go. I saw a LARGE group of kids dressed for Prom get kicked out a couple years ago. I think it is a GREAT rule (as the parent of 3 teenagers too). Try going to Burnsville center on a Friday or Saturday evening and wade through the thugs there.

I like the MOA because I can get pretty much everything I need there when I go. None of the other malls have the selection in the various stores like they do at the MOA. They do a pretty good job grouping the stores so the kid stores are in one general area, the teen stores are in another, for the most part. Parking is another plus. I have always been able to find a parking spot, usually the 5th floor is empty. Even on weekends if you get there at 10:00 the mall is pretty empty. I can get in and out in a couple hours and still not have any crowds.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 AM

409 posts, read 1,241,489 times
^It is 16. They do enforce the rule very well. I was turned away a couple times for being underage a few years ago. They've only stopped carding me in the last six months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Who is looking out for the young man/woman these days? I remember when i was younger before i could drive and would go to the mall with some friends and get something to eat, do a little shopping with allowance or b-day/christmas money, maybe watch a movie on a friday night. Why be so restrictive to the younger folks? I bet most people would have a problem if the sign said no one over 65 allowed after 4. If the younger people are going to be out on the town i'd rather see them hanging out at the mall than off doing drugs in the park or vandalizing cars or doing something that might land them in the back of a cop car. I remember my youth well and i know what bored kids do on friday and saturday when there is nothing else they can do. They're as free and equal as the rest of us i say, keep their entertainment options open. Just my 2 cents on the issue, no need to argue.
Agreed that the rule is inconvenient, but in the late 90s they had a major shoplifting problem, and there were even a few stabbings. Since they put the age restrictions in place, those problems have largely subsided.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
There are many malls nationwide that have adopted this same type of restriction on teens, it isn't just a MOA policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul