Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 8,215 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have recently moved back to St Peter, Minnesota from Florida and have an amazing job opportunity in Minneapolis. On mapquest, the distance from St Peter to Minneapolis is 1 hour and 14 min. It's a long commute and I feel I could do it except I worry about commuting in the winter. How much added time do you think it would take to commute from St Peter to Minneapolis in the winter? How unsafe do you think that is? Do you think it would be worth it? Also, what do you think about the commute from St Peter to Burnsville? Please all opinions and suggestions of other suburbs that would be a better commute would be helpful. I am mostly interested in working in Minneapolis though and unfortunately I am unable to move out of St Peter for a while.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:40 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I personally would not do either of those commutes. If I was in your position I'd probably take the job and move into the Twin Cities.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 AM

67 posts, read 149,019 times
Move to Brooklyn Park... nice safe suburb close 2 Minneapolis and 5-Laned highway (I-94) to Minneapolis or St Paul !!!
Eden Prairie is another great place... if you're young n single I'd look at East Bloomington/Richfield..they both have good transportation

Old 08-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Those commutes are too long for me, I would just move to Minneapolis.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:37 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,928 times
It's really hard for me to estimate how bad the traffic will be. I'd try it and see. I'd guess you're looking at 1:45-2 hours in good conditions but I could be overly negative.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Brooklyn Park is safe?! Maybe if you're from Camden, New Jersey.

I would be fine doing the St. Peter - Mpls. commute, but some people are really averse to long drives. St. Peter to Shakopee (with no traffic) is only 30 minutes, and it's about one hour to Minneapolis, assuming no traffic/snow. If you like small towns, I wouldn't suggest living in the Cities. I'd commute two hours before I'd move to the Cities. Honestly, if it was me, I'd turn the job down rather than move to the Cities - I've done that song and dance (living in the Cities) before, and it sucked.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:05 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
It's really hard for me to estimate how bad the traffic will be. I'd try it and see. I'd guess you're looking at 1:45-2 hours in good conditions but I could be overly negative.
No. Even with traffic, it's never taken me 2 hours to get from St. Peter to Mpls. Even from Mankato, it rarely takes more than 90 minutes (WITH traffic).

Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

I would be fine doing the St. Peter - Mpls. commute, but some people are really averse to long drives. St. Peter to Shakopee (with no traffic) is only 30 minutes, and it's about one hour to Minneapolis, assuming no traffic/snow. If you like small towns, I wouldn't suggest living in the Cities. I'd commute two hours before I'd move to the Cities. Honestly, if it was me, I'd turn the job down rather than move to the Cities - I've done that song and dance (living in the Cities) before, and it sucked.
Come on Flyingwriter.. I thought you'd know better...

I'll be the first person to tell you that Brooklyn Park certainly isn't a white picket fenced prestine clean awesome suburb... Because it isn't... But... It's not as bad as people say.

Sure, the city has some not-so-great neighborhoods. You have to remember, Brooklyn Park is one of the older suburbs. It's a 1950's, post WWII suburb, where much of its original residents are either dead or have moved their family outward (I grew up in BP til I was 12 and my grandmother lived there til 03').

It also needs to be noted that it is an inner-ring suburb, 5 miles from the MPLS border, with nearly 75,000 people. You find me 1 suburb with 75,000 in the USA that sits 5 miles from a top 20 major city that doesn't see crime.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,707,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebinminn View Post
Yea, way too long. Winters are undoubtably slower driving too.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:33 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,832,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

Honestly, if it was me, I'd turn the job down rather than move to the Cities - I've done that song and dance (living in the Cities) before, and it sucked.
That might have had something to do with the fact that you lived in Plymouth, which if memory serves, you had previously said you liked.

And Brooklyn Park is unsafe?! Maybe if you're from Plymouth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul