Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:19 PM

540 posts, read 1,097,233 times

Advertisements

This isn't indicative of Minnesota landlords, it's more of buildings owned by property management companies.

They're using the up-front deposit as another level of screening. If someone can't/won't come up with the money right away, more than likely they're going to be a problem renter down the road according to their business model. As the economy continues to stagnate and people continue to ditch out on rent in large numbers, the process isn't likely going to change anytime soon.

If you don't like dealing with those sorts of policies, try renting somewhere that isn't owned by a property management company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 03:22 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
This isn't indicative of Minnesota landlords, it's more of buildings owned by property management companies.

They're using the up-front deposit as another level of screening. If someone can't/won't come up with the money right away, more than likely they're going to be a problem renter down the road according to their business model. As the economy continues to stagnate and people continue to ditch out on rent in large numbers, the process isn't likely going to change anytime soon.

If you don't like dealing with those sorts of policies, try renting somewhere that isn't owned by a property management company.
so does that increase my chances of getting approved if i come up with the deposit? i mean i dont like my money being held up just to get denied. im on a time line here.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
You shouldn't be trying rent multiple properties at once. One application at a time is, or should be, the rule. IF they don't approve you, then they should give back your deposit immediately so that you can go on to try to find a different place.

Usually once you submit an application the process moves quickly; I've never had it take more than a couple of days, tops. I've never had to submit a deposit until after being approved, but typically since the approval has only taken one business day, we've still had to provide it within 2-3 days of submitting the application, anyway, along with first month's rent.

If you're very concerned about not being approved, just make sure to ask how long it will take before they return your deposit.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:52 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,474 times
Some property mgmt companies are strictly rip-off artists. I had an apartment through UPI Property Mgmt, and they charged me $80 for a broken window - that cracked from stress last winter - I informed them months ago and they took no action. They also pulled out a $200 "administrative fee" - which is contract-eze for "whatever they want it to mean".

Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
You shouldn't be trying rent multiple properties at once. One application at a time is, or should be, the rule. IF they don't approve you, then they should give back your deposit immediately so that you can go on to try to find a different place.

Usually once you submit an application the process moves quickly; I've never had it take more than a couple of days, tops. I've never had to submit a deposit until after being approved, but typically since the approval has only taken one business day, we've still had to provide it within 2-3 days of submitting the application, anyway, along with first month's rent.

If you're very concerned about not being approved, just make sure to ask how long it will take before they return your deposit.
well i dont have a choice. im here in minnesota for a week until sunday. then i have to fly back up here to start my new job on the 6th. so i would like to find a place b4 i go back. personally i wish they gave me more than a week to try to find a place. but it is what it is.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I don't know how that works, but I'd still avoid applying for multiple places at one time; maybe a landlord will jump in here and correct me if this is wrong, but don't those credit checks for apartment purposes show up on your credit report? (and therefore potentially raise some red flags?) We've often had to find places with just a couple of days in a new city, and have never had a problem. Assuming that you're not in competition with other people for the same unit, then it should just be an issue of whether or not the landlord deems you, specifically, to be a safe bet as a tenant. With a tight deadline I wouldn't bother applying to any place where there might be multiple applicants for the same unit, but I doubt that's a big issue these days. Let them know you're on a deadline and need to get a quick approval so that you can sign the lease before flying back. If you have decent credit and a good rental history there are unlikely to be any problems. Do you mean you're leaving on this Sunday? That's getting tighter, then, but you should still be able to do it if you can tour a place tomorrow and put in your application early in the day. Do let them know that you're on a very tight deadline, though. Most of my renting has been in other cities, but for what it's worth, my Minneapolis landlord experiences have been far more laid-back than elsewhere. It could be that some of these places are assuming that if you apply you're in (and are assuming that you are assuming that, too), barring any surprises dug up during their credit check.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM

117 posts, read 377,681 times
Renting in MN is a weird relationship. Expect to be gouged for your deposit upon move-out too! Before living here I never had a deposit that was deducted for normal wear and tear. I left my place cleaner than it was when I moved in and still was deducted for BS. This is a uniquely MN thing. I think that asking for the deposit with the application is a little premature too, but I think this was done when I rented apartments in CO too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul