Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
You don't? Okay, I mean the kind of kids who are concerned with absolutely nothing except drinking, sex, and hockey. I suppose some of them probably also cared about lacrosse and music.

Again, not to say it has anything to do with the school, but every kid I knew who went there fell into that group.
Every kid you know from that school was into drinking, sex, and hockey - in elementary school? That doesn't match my family's experience in the least.

Here's my daughter, she was there. Take it away, Char!

You obviously have never actually visited Lake Country School, their teachers are excellent and not only help you academically but also help you enhance your character. All of my classmates and I have loved the school and the community, in fact it has been the best school i have ever gone to. Of course there are students who dont care and who would rather be on the field or in the rink than in class, but so does every school. Your extreme does not fit anything I know about Lake Country and I just graduated after going there for three years. Either we are not talking about the same school, or we have had extremely opposite experiences. I'm sorry if your experience wasn't as phenomenal as mine was. Charlotte, grade 9

Last edited by audadvnc; 03-24-2011 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Adding Daughters Comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:14 AM

409 posts, read 1,241,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Every kid you know from that school was into drinking, sex, and hockey - in elementary school? That doesn't match my family's experience in the least.

Here's my daughter, she was there. Take it away, Char!

You obviously have never actually visited Lake Country School, their teachers are excellent and not only help you academically but also help you enhance your character. All of my classmates and I have loved the school and the community, in fact it has been the best school i have ever gone to. Of course there are students who dont care and who would rather be on the field or in the rink than in class, but so does every school. Your extreme does not fit anything I know about Lake Country and I just graduated after going there for three years. Either we are not talking about the same school, or we have had extremely opposite experiences. I'm sorry if your experience wasn't as phenomenal as mine was. Charlotte, grade 9
1. I think it was clear from my post that I was talking about people I knew in high school. If it wasn't, I apologize.

2. I never said that I have visited the school. I haven't.

3. I did say, TWICE, that I didn't know if it had anything to do with the school or not, but I do find it relevant that every person I knew who went to that school fell into the heavy partier group in high school. You you should notice that I never once said anything about the school, only about recent graduates of the school that I have met.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 AM

City Data Forum: There you have it; a disagreement between two parties; one that has attended the school for three years and graduated, versus another who has never visited the school and doesn't know anything about its elementary education program, yet insists he knows all about the psychological makeup of its student body and graduates.

You decide for yourselves, who to depend on for accurate information.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Given that the OP has not asked about Lake Country, it's rather a moot point. For the record, I know some very successful, smart former Lake Country students. But much as I like Montessori, I wouldn't send my son there, when there's a wonderful public Montessori school not far away that doesn't run to $11,000+ a year. Nothing wrong with Lake Country if one wants to go private, though, and I certainly agree that Montessori is the way to go, education-wise. That may also be a moot point, given that the OP hasn't expressed interest in Montessori, but I'll throw it out there anyway; I've heard some local parents express concerns that Montessori in the lower grades would leave their children ill-prepared for a program like IB (offered at Southwest, among other local high schools) or AP, but my experience was quite the opposite. But of course, as noted, much does depend on the individual student. (and I have noticed that in Minneapolis, at least, the heavy partiers were far more likely to be the ones who went to private school, although that probably is simply because there is a correlation with wealth, and despite robust tuition scholarships and the like, the student body at the privates is by nature going to include a higher percentage of rich kids. My Lake Country graduate friends never fit in that category, though, but my personal experiences are now a bit outdated.)

Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
City Data Forum: There you have it; a disagreement between two parties; one that has attended the school for three years and graduated, versus another who has never visited the school and doesn't know anything about its elementary education program, yet insists he knows all about the psychological makeup of its student body and graduates.

This is an extremely unfair characterization of this person's comments. At no time did he or she say that they knew "all about the psychological make up of it's student body and graduates." What they clearly said was that they knew a half dozen grads and that those individuals were all primarily interested in drinking, sex, and hockey. They also said that it may not be a reflection of the school.

There is no reason that they both can't be right. I believe the young lady loved the school and does quite well in high school. I also believe that there are six individuals who are grads and are bad eggs in their high school. I don't think that the experience of either sample is indicative of the future behavior of any other individuals.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 AM

409 posts, read 1,241,608 times
Quote:

I really don't insist that I know anything at all about the student body, and I don't insist that I know anything about any of the graduates that I haven't met. All I offered was my experience, and I think it's extent was pretty clear.

I haven't agreed or disagreed with a thing that you have said, and as far as I can't tell, you haven't disagreed with anything that I have actually said, except perhaps whether my experience with some graduates is at all relevant.

If anything that I have actually said is incorrect, feel free to correct me, but please, stop putting words into my mouth!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Enough discussion about Lake Country, please; unless the OP is interested in sending her kids to the school, this is all off-topic discussion. She expressed interested in two public schools in two different neighborhoods in the Twin Cities, so does anyone else have any experiences or knowledge of those schools?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPerpKazoo View Post
...feel free to correct me...
When you lambast a perfectly good school with innuendo based on your secondhand information of students that aren't even attending that school, I feel the need to correct you, and inform the internet community that your statements aren't based on fact, merely your bad opinions.

As for the high price of LCS, yes it is very expensive. I had to forgo buying a new car, a boat, a snowmobile, season Vikings tickets, etc, so that my daughter could get the best education I could manage to get her. Those were my priorities.

OK, I'm done. Back to the OP's discussion.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:23 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
When you lambast a perfectly good school with innuendo based on your secondhand information of students that aren't even attending that school, I feel the need to correct you, and inform the internet community that your statements aren't based on fact, merely your bad opinions.

As for the high price of LCS, yes it is very expensive. I had to forgo buying a new car, a boat, a snowmobile, season Vikings tickets, etc, so that my daughter could get the best education I could manage to get her. Those were my priorities.

OK, I'm done. Back to the OP's discussion.
And you get the last word why? This person's comments were based on his or her personal experiences and the limitations of those experiences were clearly laid out.

As to the OP's question, we participated in SWAC soccer last year and most of the kids went to Lake Harriet School. All of the parents raved about it and I never heard a bad word about the school.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM

12 posts, read 44,808 times
Thanks all of you for your thoughts. I have not been able to find a home to rent in the Lake Harriet neighborhood; so having to go with St. Anthony Park. Have seen one of your good reviews of the school.
Any others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul