Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times

Advertisements

In the Twin Cities, especially, neat suburb/city divisions don't exist like they do in other places...and this will only become more blurred in the future. Look at the demographics of a Park Center, Osseo, Brooklyn Center, Woodbury, or even Sibley. Things are changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,098 times
Default Don't listen to garbage---do your research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKimbe View Post
I am moving to eagan with my 1st grade daughter and 6th grade son. Our house is in district 197 ( pilot knob elementary and friendly hills middle school). They can open enroll for district 196 (deerwood elem. And blackhawk middle school). There is room for them at these schools. I would need to drive them or request for them to ride on an existing bus line nearest our home. I also feel the need to compare the two highschools...henry sibley for 197. East view and eagan for 196. Any help would be appreciated! Then there are the magnet schools!!! What are your thoughts?
I just happened on this post but felt compelled to reply...
Hopefully people are mainly happy with the district in which they live but if you don't know much about your district it is in your best interest to do your homework before you open enroll in another district. Regarding 196 & 197---Both districts are good and have good schools but they are different-mainly due to size. It is disappointing to hear judgements by people that don't really know about the schools in the district 196 & 197. I am an educator (but not in either school district). District 197 has excellent schools...I know this by seeing them, knowing their curriculum, and hearing from my neighbors --their high level of satisfaction of their children's education in the elementary, middle (Friendly or Heritage), and (Sibley) High School level. Also, I have attended open houses and have done my own research, therefore I will be sending one of my children to my home district's high school (Sibley) in the near future. 196 is a very large school district vs. 197 very small. To say that Sibley has lesser values than those attending Eagan is flat out absurd! You need to step into the schools, classrooms, and the districts and ask questions. Unfortunately for district 197, they do not do a great job of marketing. In recent years Sibley was awarded highest student achievement in Math, Science, and Technology. They have a new Engineering class that is not comparable! They have a phenomenal choir program and the band program (thanks to the involved parents) is up and coming. And other extra-curriculars and sports are offered and well attended by students and parents. It is a small enough school that if you want to play a sport you can usually find a spot on a team vs. the very large schools --ie Eagan. School spirit is positive and parent involvement is high. Students do very well, attend good colleges, can graduate with many college credits if they choose to. Yes, there is diversity and some of that diversity includes socioeconomic but you will also find that in district 196 as well. And there are many options in the elementary & middle schools. Don't rely on the heresay of people's impressions...you have to go in the schools and check it out for yourself. I know 196 families who have left 196 schools (for 196 parochial schools) due to large class sizes and an educational focus that was not compatible with their high achieving children. I also know 196 families that have open enrolled in 197 schools. I even know families that are very happy at Eagan High School too. So you have to do your own homework. No matter which district you live in, you should visit your home district's schools and classrooms first! Do your research. Then if you don't feel that district has options that are a good fit for your family or child then look for options such as open enrollment. You have to see it for yourself just as anything else in life there are happy & unhappy people in every district---why put the education of your child in the hands of someone else's perception? Don't buy into the garbage that is perpetuated by people that are making baseless judgements for either district!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmom3 View Post
I just happened on this post but felt compelled to reply...
Hopefully people are mainly happy with the district in which they live but if you don't know much about your district it is in your best interest to do your homework before you open enroll in another district. Regarding 196 & 197---Both districts are good and have good schools but they are different-mainly due to size. It is disappointing to hear judgements by people that don't really know about the schools in the district 196 & 197. I am an educator (but not in either school district). District 197 has excellent schools...I know this by seeing them, knowing their curriculum, and hearing from my neighbors --their high level of satisfaction of their children's education in the elementary, middle (Friendly or Heritage), and (Sibley) High School level. Also, I have attended open houses and have done my own research, therefore I will be sending one of my children to my home district's high school (Sibley) in the near future. 196 is a very large school district vs. 197 very small. To say that Sibley has lesser values than those attending Eagan is flat out absurd! You need to step into the schools, classrooms, and the districts and ask questions. Unfortunately for district 197, they do not do a great job of marketing. In recent years Sibley was awarded highest student achievement in Math, Science, and Technology. They have a new Engineering class that is not comparable! They have a phenomenal choir program and the band program (thanks to the involved parents) is up and coming. And other extra-curriculars and sports are offered and well attended by students and parents. It is a small enough school that if you want to play a sport you can usually find a spot on a team vs. the very large schools --ie Eagan. School spirit is positive and parent involvement is high. Students do very well, attend good colleges, can graduate with many college credits if they choose to. Yes, there is diversity and some of that diversity includes socioeconomic but you will also find that in district 196 as well. And there are many options in the elementary & middle schools. Don't rely on the heresay of people's impressions...you have to go in the schools and check it out for yourself. I know 196 families who have left 196 schools (for 196 parochial schools) due to large class sizes and an educational focus that was not compatible with their high achieving children. I also know 196 families that have open enrolled in 197 schools. I even know families that are very happy at Eagan High School too. So you have to do your own homework. No matter which district you live in, you should visit your home district's schools and classrooms first! Do your research. Then if you don't feel that district has options that are a good fit for your family or child then look for options such as open enrollment. You have to see it for yourself just as anything else in life there are happy & unhappy people in every district---why put the education of your child in the hands of someone else's perception? Don't buy into the garbage that is perpetuated by people that are making baseless judgements for either district!
As a Sibley grad and now I have kids in the 196 schools, yes, both are very good school districts. Unfortunately the music programs have gone very far downhill at Sibley in the past years. What was once the best band program in the nation is no longer. Both districts have outstanding schools but I give the edge to the 196 schools now both academically and for their music programs but either way, you can't go wrong.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
196, no wait 197...definitely 197. Unless your kid is into band or theater, then 196 for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul