Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,137 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are going to meet for the weekend in MSP, she's driving in from North Dakota and I'm flying in from Cincinnati. We're staying in a hotel at the U. of Minnesota right next to the Gophers football stadium. And we're definitely going to the Twins game on Friday night. Other than that, do you have any suggestions, particularly for things in and near the downtown/university area? I was thinking maybe Mall of America?

I've never been to your city and she has only been there once for a few days.

Oh, and are there any good vegetarian restaurants in the area that anyone would recommend?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM

411 posts, read 992,727 times
Minneapolis Institute of the Arts - Top class art museum at 24th and 3rd Ave in South Minneapolis.

Sculpture Garden is worth a visit if only to see the single most photographed object in the entire city.

Take a long walk along both sides of the river downtown.

And the best vegetarian restaurant in the city is Evergreen at 24th and Nicollet. Great asian food with the most awesome faux beef, chicken, pork and fish.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Art on the Lake - Excelsior, MN Events | Metromix Twin Cities (http://twincities.metromix.com/events/fair_festival/art-on-the-lake-excelsior/1984674/content - broken link)

Minneapolis Music and Movies In The Parks

Best of Metromix Twin Cities | Metromix Twin Cities

Patio seating in the Twin Cities | Metromix Twin Cities

Cycling the Cities | Metromix Twin Cities

Twin Cities Music & Concerts | Metromix Twin Cities

Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM

411 posts, read 992,727 times
That reminds me. Rent a Nice Ride bike and just get on any trail and ride. Or ride along the river.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,343,321 times
I second the Riverwalk idea. They have a nice farmer's market at Chicago Avenue and the Mississippi River on Saturday mornings. This is right next to the Guthrie Theater, which is open to the public and worth checking out to see the views from the "endless bridge". I'd then recommend walking along the river to the Stone Arch Bridge, check out the Lock & Dam and the St Anthony Falls. Maybe walk across the bridge to the other side and walk along Historic Main Street, find your way over to Our Lady of Lourdes Church (historic church) and then have a drink at one of the places on East Hennepin (lots of good pizza places here too--Punch Pizza or Pizza Nea).

You could also spend some time at Brits Pub at 11th & Nicollet Mall, playing Lawn Bowling on their green (on the back side of the pub), and go up to Prohibition on the 29th floor of the W Hotel for a fairly pricey cocktail with a view.

I'd also recommend you spend some time checking out the Lakes/Uptown area: There's all kinds of things to see & do--walk around one of the lakes (Calhoun is more younger people, Harriet is more family oriented, and Isles is lined with mansions); see the Rose Garden (at NW shore of Lake Harriet), the bandshell (they have free concerts at 7:00 PM everyday in summer), maybe ride the streetcar to Lake Calhoun & back. You could also rent a canoe and paddle from Lake Calhoun to Isles to Cedar Lake. They rent them at the Refectory Building at the NE shore of Lake Calhoun.

Enjoy your Visit!

Vegetarian Restaurants:

The one's I know would be:

SpoonRiver (next to the Guthrie on 2nd Street and Chicago)
Barbette's (in Uptown on Lake Street,at about Irving Ave)
Birchwood Cafe (in the Seward neighborhood on 25th Street, several blocks east of the river)

Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
do you have any suggestions, particularly for things in and near the downtown/university area? I was thinking maybe Mall of America?
Others have given a good list, but I just thought I'd point out that Mall of America isn't near the downtown or university area. It is actually in the suburb of Bloomington. However, you can catch the light rail downtown and it will take you right there and zip you right back - no driving, no hassle.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
It looks like rain for the weekend so plan accordingly. It's been very hot too, but the temps should be better this weekend.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:33 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
Minneapolis Institute of the Arts - Top class art museum at 24th and 3rd Ave in South Minneapolis.

Sculpture Garden is worth a visit if only to see the single most photographed object in the entire city.

Take a long walk along both sides of the river downtown.

And the best vegetarian restaurant in the city is Evergreen at 24th and Nicollet. Great asian food with the most awesome faux beef, chicken, pork and fish.
Thanks for the suggestions! We'll definitely hit one of those vegetarian restaurants. And thanks for the light rail suggestion to Bloomington too.

What in the Sculpture Garden is the most photographed object? I'd like to check that out too.

I'm looking forward to this weekend and seeing your city - rain or no rain.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:32 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! We'll definitely hit one of those vegetarian restaurants. And thanks for the light rail suggestion to Bloomington too.

What in the Sculpture Garden is the most photographed object? I'd like to check that out too.

I'm looking forward to this weekend and seeing your city - rain or no rain.
Looks like you have some good suggestions for a vegetarian restaurant, so I won't elaborate there (especially since I'm not a vegetarian).

At the Sculpture Garden...without question the most photographed piece is the Cherry Spoon. If you go, you really cannot miss it. It's in the center and it's big...

Other than a few items, I too love MN. It's worth the visit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul