Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:21 PM

6 posts, read 15,778 times

Advertisements

Hi, Im relocating out to Minnesota in about 9 months and going to be opening up a family pizza place. I've been in the business for about 10 years now and want to offer a comfortable atmosphere with arcade games, t.v's, beer & wine and great customer serice. I want to be involved with all the local schools and athletic programs. I want to be that neighborhood pizzeria. Just looking for the right place?? Any suggestions would be great I was out around the Lake Minnetonka area and think thats were we want to live, it'll be nice to have my business close to home. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
The Lake Minnetonka area is a very expensive area-one of the most expensive in the metro area.

If you want to be involved in the local scene you will have better luck with that in a smaller town/smaller schools. The Wayzata/Minnetonka schools are two of the largest high schools in the state. I would look out further west to places like Deleno, Watertown, etc. if you want to be the place to hang out in your town.

Rosemount could use a good family pizza place. We have one ok place and one not so good place and a couple take out places . We have a great sports scene and have good attendance at sporting events (usually around 5000 or so for football games).

The smaller towns around the state is where you will find the most community support of high school sports.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,883,459 times
Where are you from / what type of pizza are you providing? Chicago-style? New York-style? Other? If it's Chicago/New York Style, but especially Chicago, I'd strongly recommend setting up shop somewhere near Uptown or one of the major universities! People in Minneapolis (the ones I know anyways) LOVE Chicago-style food but there are VERY few authentic places in town, and I know people in the 25-35 demographic crave the "real thing". I always mention this to my cousins from Chicago, who have ambitions of opening a restaurant themselves, focusing on beefs, sausages and pizza, and I KNOW they could dominate if they came to Minneapolis because there is nothing like that here.

Just some "food for thought"...

Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,393 times
Don't set up in South Minneapolis. That market is saturated with local and chain pizza places. Somewhere near the U of M might be a decent idea.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times
are we setting this guy up for failure?

restaurants have like a 70 percent failure right out of the get go.

you need to have a niche, and it helps alot to have local connections which the op doesnt here.

just afraid you guys are leading him down the wrong path here.

neighborhood pizzerias are everywhere here.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,652,330 times
The Twin Cities is known for its wide variety, styles, different types of restaurants. Everything from the unique (like Galactic Pizza where they deliver in a three-wheeled electronic car and the delivery drivers dress as their own brand of superhero) to the mom-n-pop joints, to big chains.

I'm new to posting here but I've been reading Golfgal's posts for years. She's very, very good and gives the best, most reliable advice about the Twin Cities. You wouldn't hurt for listening to her.

Other than that, I would suggest doing as much research as you can. Pizza joints are a dime a dozen. Even good ones. To be the kind that you want to be (the local, involved, neighborhood pizza hangout) then start there with your research. If being part of the school and its kids is your main focus, then begin by looking at schools and finding out how many pizza joints already exist around them. How far from the school are they? What do those pizza joints offer? Are they already involved in school functions? What restaurants are that pizza joints biggest competition? Do they offer anything that can compete with their business? Can you? Can't find that info online? Call them. Also look for reviews online to see what people think of them.

If you find a neighborhood that you really want to be in (and a part of) but there's already a pizza joint or two around, then how will you stand out from the competition? What makes your pizza joint different or better? (Don't say "great pizza." Great is subjective to individual taste. What else makes you stand out?) Not sure? Research pizza joints from around the country and overseas. What makes them unique? What do they offer that no one else does? How did they do it successfully and not have it wind up as a one-shot deal or a passing fad? If you can't find the information online, call them and talk to the owner or a manager. Tell them what you want to do and ask for advice. Especially if it's in another state, you'll likely find they're willing to speak more freely since you won't be competition.

In the next nine months, utilize all of your resources to set yourself apart. Minneapolis is a great place to test a business. People in the past have made their fortunes by starting businesses during economies like this. Businesses that stand out! If you're going to do this... do it right, do it big and do it once.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,883,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
are we setting this guy up for failure?

restaurants have like a 70 percent failure right out of the get go.

you need to have a niche, and it helps alot to have local connections which the op doesnt here.

just afraid you guys are leading him down the wrong path here.

neighborhood pizzerias are everywhere here.
I assume this person has already done the pros and cons of setting up his/her own restaurant, so this goes without saying. Don't discourage somebody from pursuing their dreams, if this is in fact their dream. YOu are correct however, it is a VERY competitive industry and most people fail within a year or 2.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,474 times
The OP may want to investigate a location in North Mpls, perhaps along B'way or Lowry. The recent tornado has ruined several existing businesses, but I suspect that city redevelopment funding for N Mpls is going to make new business opportunities more attractive. And there have been new businesses opening; The recently opened Lowry Cafe and Victory 44 may provide him with some background info.

Also check with the folks opening that Wood Fired Pizza shop on B'way near Marshall in NE Mpls, just a half mile from Broadway Pizza (which seems too close for me, but it's gonna be a yuppie pizza joint in comparison to B'way Pizza and its traditional family market).

Besides, we need a halfway decent pizza shop in the Jordan neighborhood - Paradise Pizza is cheap, but greasy, and AFAIK it's the only shop around.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
As a resident in South Minneapolis, I agree with the point that there are already plenty of pizza places in the area that would make it challenging to compete. I also agree with the point made that there aren't enough pizzerias and restaurants in general on the northside. The area is economically challenged as a whole, but if the restaurant is designed to effectively reach the demographic of the area I could see that as an attractive opportunity, especially with the programs and aid made available to small business owners there. Regarding Minnetonka and the nearby suburbs, I'm not really familiar with that area or what kind of restaurant presence it currently has. Obviously you would want to be finding out this information in order to analyze the attractiveness of potential locations. Your idea sounds like it has promise, it sorta sounds like a Carbones type of place. If you're in the area try going to one to see if you agree with me.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,760 times
The Western Suburbs/Lake Minnetonka area has lost multiple sit down family pizza places over the years.....

Pizza Hut in Downtown Excelsior.
Pizza Hut in Minnetonka at 394 and Carlson Parkway.
Rocky Rococo in Minnetonka at Highway 7 and CR 101.
Godfathers in Minnetonka near Ridgedale.
Shakeys on Highway 7 in Minnetonka.
Pizza on the Lake/Pizzaellis in Spring Park.

Places I can think of that are currently open.....

Davannis in Minnetonka on Highway 7.
Punch in Wayzata.
Carbones in Mound.
Joey Novas in Tonka Bay.

I remember the Pizza Hut in Excelsior having a line out the door at times. We used to take the boat there sometimes since it was right across the street from the public docks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul