Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:49 PM

61 posts, read 112,022 times

Advertisements

As some of you have responded to my post before.I'm still here in Denver with our house for sale and my partner in now relocated with a job in Minnesota.She was born and raised there but she also loves Denver as much as i do.We have 3 homes(2 rented) here and a cabin.
I have been here 15 yrs and i have a job that i have been at for 26 years.There is no relocating fo me because the company i work for is not out there.I will have to quit.
I just don't hear anything really positive about Minnesota except for the friendly people.The winter's last 6 month.The spring time last 1 month.Summer is so hot and humid(THERE GOES MY HAIR)and i hear the mosquito's are HUGE.
I cry just thinking about starting over but i want to be with my partner also.I have 5 wks vacation now and make good money.If i go there i will start from the bottom and make *^!~.I'm 44 and love my job,house,friends,and most of all Denver.It's such a beautiful state with awesome weather.And NO....... the winter's are great compared to MN.So is the spring and summer.
I don't want to bash you city by all means but is there any decent weather out there without bugs and humidity???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 PM

628 posts, read 1,437,482 times
I'm going to be completely honest with you.. Minneapolis is the best deal of any city in the country. For what it offers and how affordable it is, there is nothing better (not even Denver - sorry.) Having low expectations is probably good because when you get here you'll be amazed, or I guess you could hate it too. Minneapolis is often compared to Portland and Seattle, I would say it's closer to Seattle culturally but is really laid back like Portland. Minnesotans can be extremely nice just like people anywhere else, though they're generally more open-minded in Minneapolis. Good luck with your move and I hope you enjoy it here.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:02 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
I'm a native Minnesotan but I've spent enough time in other places to know that the climate here is probably this area's biggest disadvantage (unless you can't get enough ice fishing or other winter activities and sports). However, I still believe that the Twin Cities is an amazing area to be in May thru October. As many Minnesotans, we survive the winters by getting away (we hightail it to Mexico). I've spent some time in the Denver metropolitan area and as far as size and amenities it is similar here. Both areas have lots of things going on for outdoors enthusiasts. Where Denver has mountains and canyons, Minnesota has lakes and forests. Besides the more temperate climate, I'm not sure there is anything I'd find overly advantageous in Denver compared to here, but that is based on my limited knowledge of that area.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM

290 posts, read 547,690 times
There needs to be a PSA put out about how non-Minnesotans should, under no circumstances, couple up with a Minnesotan or former Minnesotan unless they are OK with moving to Minnesota at some point. Just about everyone originally from there ends up wanting to move back at some point. I've seen cases where people were born there, left when they were barely a toddler, and for whatever reason, ended up moving back to retire in MN. There is something magical about MN that draws everyone back that no one can explain.

A corollary to this is Minnesotan males who leave Minnesota and expect to move back at some point, do not, I repeat, do not couple up with a non-Minnesotan woman. Women usually win the argument about which family to be near after you start having kids. You will never, ever get back to MN if you marry a non-Minnesotan woman. Like all former Minnesotans, 5, 10, 40 years down the road you will get the calling to return. You might be mowing the lawn or standing in line at the store. It can happen at any time. But that calling will not be strong enough to make it happen. Because, you see, you are stuck with a non-Minnesotan.

My time here is done. God bless and god speed.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 PM

455 posts, read 638,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
There needs to be a PSA put out about how non-Minnesotans should, under no circumstances, couple up with a Minnesotan or former Minnesotan unless they are OK with moving to Minnesota at some point. Just about everyone originally from there ends up wanting to move back at some point. I've seen cases where people were born there, left when they were barely a toddler, and for whatever reason, ended up moving back to retire in MN. There is something magical about MN that draws everyone back that no one can explain.

A corollary to this is Minnesotan males who leave Minnesota and expect to move back at some point, do not, I repeat, do not couple up with a non-Minnesotan woman. Women usually win the argument about which family to be near after you start having kids. You will never, ever get back to MN if you marry a non-Minnesotan woman. Like all former Minnesotans, 5, 10, 40 years down the road you will get the calling to return. You might be mowing the lawn or standing in line at the store. It can happen at any time. But that calling will not be strong enough to make it happen. Because, you see, you are stuck with a non-Minnesotan.

Awesome... and hilarious.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
I don't know if I can sell Minneapolis to you. But what I can say is that you seem awfully bummed to move up here. I think the only way to really enjoy a place is to go there excited for the new possibilities and be open to change. Yes, you'll have to quit your job, perhaps start from the bottom (although surely there's something similar you could get into?), but just think of it as a new beginning.

You might miss the mountains, but enjoy the water. Walk along the Mississippi, see the Chain of Lakes while exploring parts of the city, and head up north to Duluth to see one of the most spectacular bodies of water in the world (okay, so I'm a bit biased having grown up there). Get out and explore and meet new people and I think you'll end up liking our great state up north.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 AM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
Quote:

Which is exactly why I hope I never fall in love with someone who is from here. Presently, I don't date people who think "going up north" is an idea for a fun time. How much colder does a person need to be I don't want to be stuck in this frozen tundra the rest of my life. Would be nice to meet someone who would like to eventually move to a warmer climate.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:

She went there because of a job offer she couldn't pass up.She would rather live here in Denver.
We don't have to worry about having kids because we don't want kids.Just our 4 dogs is enough for us.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I don't know if I can sell Minneapolis to you. But what I can say is that you seem awfully bummed to move up here. I think the only way to really enjoy a place is to go there excited for the new possibilities and be open to change. Yes, you'll have to quit your job, perhaps start from the bottom (although surely there's something similar you could get into?), but just think of it as a new beginning.

You might miss the mountains, but enjoy the water. Walk along the Mississippi, see the Chain of Lakes while exploring parts of the city, and head up north to Duluth to see one of the most spectacular bodies of water in the world (okay, so I'm a bit biased having grown up there). Get out and explore and meet new people and I think you'll end up liking our great state up north.

Thank you so much..At times i get excited but most of the time i'm bummed.
I have been to Minnesota 3 times and 2 of those times there was alot of snow and the 1 time i was there it was nice but we spent the whole time looking at homes.Still with no luck on finding that perfect home.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:36 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
Quote:

Boy I hope you are wrong about the non-MN woman thing! WE just moved to Cleveland to be closer to HER family, but I want to move back someday. Luckily for me, she grew up in LaCrosse, WI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul