Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the varied responses! They really do help. I have never really been into the whole biking thing, more of a walk and take transit kind of guy. However, when I was in Seattle for two weeks ... I found that to be more common. Maybe I could get used to it.

I'm not sure how I missed the monthly fare on Metro Transit's website, I think it was the rush hour/off-rush hour fares that got me.

Thanks again, all this information on the neighborhoods is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,465 times
I've been car free since 2001. I can't tell you how much money I've saved on car payments, insurance, upkeep, gas, car toys, parking (many apt complex's charge monthly for parking, as do all parking lots downtown and some in Uptown.)

I ride the bus. It's a very easy system to use. They have one rate for non-rush hour and another rate for rush hour. I get a monthly pass, including rush hour times, so I can travel anywhere and not have to pop an extra 50-75 cents in the meter during rush hour. It runs me $85 a month. That's it.

I can get everywhere I need to go. On the occasions when I really need a car, I have a friend that will take me on errands and I usually buy him lunch or throw him some gas money.

If you do plan to use city transportation, though, I hope you're a patient person. By car, I could run my errands in an hour or less. By bus, and depending on where I have to go, I have to plan on two to four hours. Especially on weekends.

Do live in the Uptown area. It's your best bet for amenities, making friends, having a variety of bus routes available to you, and still being around some really great places. You're close to downtown, the lakes, great restaurants, all kinds of grocery stores, beautiful neighborhoods, libraries, museums, sports stadiums, etc., I live on the southern edge of Uptown and I absolutely love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul