Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:36 PM

321 posts, read 862,350 times

Advertisements

Regarding the original post, most of the people who live in the Twin Cities are rednecks. It's really backwards. I haven't seen a single hipster since I moved here about 4 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 AM

988 posts, read 1,830,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
Regarding the original post, most of the people who live in the Twin Cities are rednecks. It's really backwards. I haven't seen a single hipster since I moved here about 4 years ago.
Ultimately, the comment isn't justified to any response as it's obviously and blatantly a silly, trolling and inflammatory statement. However, you've made it a little too easy, Squeamish...

The Twin Cities is so backwards, hick, and terribly beneath you but you've voluntarily lived here 4 years? Perhaps a bit judgmental but you might do well to get over yourself...

Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,111,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Ultimately, the comment isn't justified to any response as it's obviously and blatantly a silly, trolling and inflammatory statement. However, you've made it a little too easy, Squeamish...

The Twin Cities is so backwards, hick, and terribly beneath you but you've voluntarily lived here 4 years? Perhaps a bit judgmental but you might do well to get over yourself...
I think he's usin' that thar reverse psychocology cause ain't too many people like them thar hipsters though I ain't got no dang'ol problem widdem.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,032,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside38 View Post
Amen. There are people in MN who are judgmental towards Southerners are ignorant about Southern culture and society, and you're seeing a manifestation of that here, even if the topic is about rednecks. The fact that one can have a deep Southern accent and be highly educated isn't even comprehensible to a significant minority of Minnesotans, and those same hypocrites would crucify someone for believing that (for the record, I believe the following mentality is as bad as any) those who have a Mexican or Arab accent can't be highly educated.

What if the thread title was, "is Mpls good city for hipsters...or very black?" Just saying.... Rednecks are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to getting flack from other people.

UU, for what it's worth, my grandpa, who grew up in Western Pennsylvania, called people from West Virginia Hilljacks.
I don't know what you consider "significant minority", but I'm sure most Minnesotans are aware that southerners can be educated. It's a bit of poking fun at people. I could just as easily say that a "significant minority" in Mississippi think we live in igloos and all talk like they do in Fargo.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 PM

136 posts, read 384,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I don't know what you consider "significant minority", but I'm sure most Minnesotans are aware that southerners can be educated. It's a bit of poking fun at people. I could just as easily say that a "significant minority" in Mississippi think we live in igloos and all talk like they do in Fargo.
I'm feeling 5%, maybe close to 10% which is a significant minority considering how ignorant that belief is. Thinking that people live in igloos and have funny accents is more benign than associating an accent with a lack of education.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,032,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside38 View Post
I'm feeling 5%, maybe close to 10% which is a significant minority considering how ignorant that belief is. Thinking that people live in igloos and have funny accents is more benign than associating an accent with a lack of education.
I don't think you'll find anyone describing a stereotypical Minnesota accent as "educated", so it holds the same connotation. It probably helps that most Minnesotans have accents that are much closer to the standard American accent (with some differences, obviously), but if you took someone with a southern twang and someone with a strong Iron Range accent and asked which one sounded more educated, I'm guessing it would split pretty evenly. In fact, I remember my little sister watching some TV show where there was a new kid who was a dairy farmer from "up nort in Minn-ehh-sooooohhhtah" who moved to whatever school in California or some warm, southern state. Plenty of parody on being uneducated. All strong accents get this bad rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul