Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM

126 posts, read 245,019 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my current house in Waite Park (far NE Mpls) for going on 12 years. It's a mini-tudor built in 1930 on a 1/4 acre lot. I've done a lot of work already (gutted kitchen, new roof, new electrical, all new mechanicals) but I still have more work to do (more work on main floor bath, retaining wall, refinish hardwood floors) if I plan to stay long term.

I'm currently commuting to St. Michael. It's not as bad as it sounds as it's reverse of most of the traffic but it is about 28 miles each way. I've looked at both existing and new houses out near work, both single family and townhomes, and I'm struggling with whether or not I will like being so far out. And I know if I do to decide to move I want it to be something I can stay in for a long time, and a lot of the houses in the farther out suburbs are living me a little underwhelmed both in terms of quality and decor.

Does anyone have experience moving from Mpls to one of the farther out suburbs? Would you do it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I can definitely see why you would consider moving!

For what it's worth, I have seen some very nice houses in the outer suburbs, including some nice historic homes. I've read about people in some of the outer fringes of the TC buying churches, old post offices, barns, that sort of thing, and converting them into homes. So if you want some character, there is still hope.

That said, have you considered heading into it slowly? You could rent out your place in Waite Park, rent somewhere in or near St. Michael, and go from there. That would give you an escape plan in case you hate living out there. Or, if you do love it, it gives you a chance to get to know the area better (as a local resident) and gives you more time to find the right home if you decide to buy out there. I have some distant relatives who made the move from Minneapolis to Delano (which I consider to be pretty far out), and I think they're happy out there. Our old neighbors in Minneapolis made the move to near Victoria, liked it at first, but I believe are now regretting it. In their case, I think it moved from feeling still somewhat rural to more fully suburban, and while they liked rural, they did not like suburban. I don't know anything about St. Michael, but future growth is certainly something to consider (whether you consider that to be a positive or a negative).

Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM

442 posts, read 540,330 times
I'm actually looking for a place near that area. How many bedrooms does it have and what would you consider renting it for if you took that route?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,474 times
I like NE Mpls, but 28 miles each way to work? I'd do it if I had to (and have before), but given the choice I'd move closer.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
St. Michael is a cute town, great downtown area, good mix of old and new, good schools. It wouldn't be worth an hour a day of my time to commute back and forth, move to St. Michael.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 AM

126 posts, read 245,019 times
It's not an hour as there isn't much traffic that way, usually about 40 minutes and I did move to MN from suburban Chicago in 1995 so any drive less than an hour to me is still short.

My son has expressed some interest in renting the house in NE but I'm not sure if he can afford it quite yet. I love the NE neighborhood though, my neighbors are really nice people and it's quiet for being in the city. The house is 3+ BR so the other issue might be if it would be too big once it's me and the dog.

And for what's it worth, just from working out here I like St. Michael as a town much better than Rogers (which seems like strip-mall-omania to me). I also have liked what I've seen of downtown Elk River. Renting might not be bad though as I don't want to have to rush into buying something if it's not exactly what I want.

My youngest is 19 so schools are a big concern at this point.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmu View Post
It's not an hour as there isn't much traffic that way, usually about 40 minutes and I did move to MN from suburban Chicago in 1995 so any drive less than an hour to me is still short.

My son has expressed some interest in renting the house in NE but I'm not sure if he can afford it quite yet. I love the NE neighborhood though, my neighbors are really nice people and it's quiet for being in the city. The house is 3+ BR so the other issue might be if it would be too big once it's me and the dog.

And for what's it worth, just from working out here I like St. Michael as a town much better than Rogers (which seems like strip-mall-omania to me). I also have liked what I've seen of downtown Elk River. Renting might not be bad though as I don't want to have to rush into buying something if it's not exactly what I want.

My youngest is 19 so schools are a big concern at this point.
Schools might not be of concern to you, but down the road, if you buy a house, schools are a major concern for resale. I like Elk River too. Very cute, busy downtown and a lovely area along the river.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM

332 posts, read 822,399 times
I would go check out some homes closer to your work and see if you like any of them. That's a good way to feel it out. There is no harm in looking at your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul