Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM

411 posts, read 993,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Catholics are the main religion in MN,.

A 2008 survey by the Pew Foundation shows that 32% of Minnesota residents were Protestant while 28% identified as Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
A 2008 survey by the Pew Foundation shows that 32% of Minnesota residents were Protestant while 28% identified as Catholic.
"Protestant" isn't a religion though. Being Protestant means you are a non-Catholic Christian. Inside that heading of Protestant you find Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, etc.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 PM

989 posts, read 2,963,003 times
Quote:
28% is going to be more than any other single religion, but not a flat out majority. What about the other 40% of that poll? Seems a bit high for non christian to me.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Of course, "Protestant" includes church groups as diverse as UCC and Lutherans, which are pretty far apart in the way they worship and other things.

I wonder if a UU (Unitarian Universalist) church is considered Protestant?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
28% is going to be more than any other single religion, but not a flat out majority. What about the other 40% of that poll? Seems a bit high for non christian to me.
My guess is much of that 40% is "no religion" or "non-practicing Catholic", which is the 2nd largest "religion" in the US. I would also say that 28% is on the very low side of the number of Catholics in MN to begin with. I would suspect that number is really closer to 40-50%.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM

989 posts, read 2,963,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Of course, "Protestant" includes church groups as diverse as UCC and Lutherans, which are pretty far apart in the way they worship and other things.

I wonder if a UU (Unitarian Universalist) church is considered Protestant?
non catholic christian is what is generally considered protestant.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
non catholic christian is what is generally considered protestant.
While true, UU churches can be very flexible in their belief systems, so they are straddling the fence somewhat.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,288,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendog View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to be mean just honestly sharing how I feel, and honestly I feel now when looking back Seattle made me a mean jaded weird person. It's nice to be around down to earth people again, the weather is a great equalizer maybe...It took me about a year to just feel "normal" again, honestly. But BTW, as a Saint Paulite I have to correct you! *have to say nicest yet meanest comparsion between three cities not two! I don't live in Minneapolis and rarely go there, the two cities are very different in many ways...
I'll repost what I told a British guy on here who is thinking of moving here from Seattle as well..Hello, I lived in Seattle for 15 years and honestly, I just moved back to Saint Paul from Seattle precisely because I could buy a house in my old neighborhood in Saint Paul for 40k! The same place in Seattle would be 400k. I love Saint Paul, it has a great old world feel to it compared to Seattle. Rice Park is great, Cathedral Hill and Summit Ave are amazing with the longest row of preserved Victorian mansions in the USA, the city itself is hilly, not like Seattle or Duluth but certainly far from flat as Saint Paul is surrounded by 20 story river bluffs, there are marinas on the river, it's a pretty cool place. The people are way nicer in my opinion, it's actually the first thing we noticed, I've never seen many mosquitoes in the city, ever myself and I grew up here, out in the woods, they can be brutal but not in the city itself. I live in West Saint Paul, it's cheap, quiet, nice and safe with friendly neighbors. It's an old neighborhood with 100+ year old houses. It's been a mild winter this year 30's and 40's with no real snow. Kind of a bummer if you like to go skiing like I do. So instead I've ridden my bike everyday and never even took the slicks off! Usually if it snows we go skiing to stay in shape Nordic Cross country is big here. Lots of parks and lakes and the Mighty Mississippi, beautiful place to live and raise a family in my opinion.
Minneapolis is flat, cool, it's bigger and more bustling, crowded by comparison, more modern, hip, trendy, world class museums and arts scene, lots of bikes and hipsters everywhere, kinda like Ballard but cooler because people aren't so uptight and holier than thou. Having lived in both places for years I would never return to Seattle, far more pretentious and snobby in my opinion. I love it there just not the people so much anymore, or the overvalued house prices, and it is much more difficult to start a business in Seattle these days with so much corporatism and money in the city. I still have family in Seattle so I visit still but I don't miss it at all. It's an awesome place, but I'll stick to old Saint Paul, I don't mind the cold (skiing, whiskey, fireplace rinse and repeat I love my 40k house in Saint Paul and if I want really big water that dwarfs Puget Sound to go sailing on and I pine for huge hills I go to Duluth, marina fees for my 30 foot boat are less for the entire season than they were for two months in Seattle and the "lake" the inland Sea of Superior, is as big as Kentucky! There's a lot of value back here for me.

The Cathedral of Saint Paul, MN

Rice Park and Landmark Centre Saint Paul, MN
You're way off-base about culture, arts, independant shops, etc. Seattle has tons and tons of all that (IMO more than Minneapolis), not to mention a larger, more dense and more bustling center, with more urban inner neighborhoods:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_2011_-_2.jpg

Old 05-30-2012, 03:16 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Seattle and Minneapolis can be somewhat similar, but very different. Seattle and Minneapolis are very near to water and have water nearby. Minneapolis' name comes from the Greek(polis) and Ojibwe(minni) meaning "Water City". However, Seattle is a maritime city with an outlet to the Pacific Ocean. Minneapolis is a river city with lakes doting the city. Both cities have sectors of the economy where the tech industry is important. However, Seattle has alot more startup companies in the tech industry, as one poster mentioned. Minneapolis' tech industry is more a part of the service industry(Target, BestBuy,etc). Both cities are very liberal politically. However, Seattle is more libertarian liberal while Minneapolis has more of a "labor" liberal. Both cities are located at very high latitudes for the contiguous 48 states(but Seattle is the northernmost major city in the lower 48). Demographics are another thing. Minneapolis and Seattle are both majority White. Minneapolis, at 60% White, has smaller percentage of Whites than Seattle, at 66%. Amongst the White population, sizeable numbers of people with Scandinavian ancestry. Seattle has more Asians and its Black population is near 8% percent. Minneapolis has more Blacks and Hispanics and its Asian population, though on the rise, is relatively small in relation to the Black and Hispanic population, close to 6 percent. Interestingly, St. Paul has a larger Asian population, both in percentage and numbers. Tacoma, south of Seattle, has a larger percent of Blacks, moreso than Asians, and a growing Hispanic population. Seattle also has a relatively large Pacific Islander population compared to Minneapolis. Compared to Seattle, Minneapolis is relatively flat, with no mountains nearby. Seattle is very hilly.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,884,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
You're way off-base about culture, arts, independant shops, etc. Seattle has tons and tons of all that (IMO more than Minneapolis), not to mention a larger, more dense and more bustling center, with more urban inner neighborhoods:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...r_2011_-_2.jpg
Not very much more dense, so I wouldn't tout that as some amazing attribute Seattle has over Minneapolis. You're talking about the #14 and #15 sized metros in the country, with EXTREMELY similar economic and built forms. You're "way off base" if you think Seattle has anything leaps and bounds on Minneapolis, especially arts, density, population, or GDP (or GDP per capita).

Some of you guys have your heads so far up your [butt] it's truly amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul