Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM

210 posts, read 499,023 times

Advertisements

We have a boy who is 9 y old. We adopted him from Ukraine and he wants to try hockey. How old are the boys in general when they begin to train an skate if they are serious about the sports. And, is there any soccer clubs in schools or separately in MN? The boy is a pro with a soccer ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede in CA View Post
We have a boy who is 9 y old. We adopted him from Ukraine and he wants to try hockey. How old are the boys in general when they begin to train an skate if they are serious about the sports. And, is there any soccer clubs in schools or separately in MN? The boy is a pro with a soccer ball.
I have known kids that started skating as soon as they could walk. 9 might be too late. I started skating when I was 5 and can skate pretty well to this day, even never playing organized hockey past age 12.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Nine is definitely not too old, tho many do start playing as soon as they can walk. While he may be playing catch-up for a few years with a little bit of dedication and natural ability he likely will have a lot of fun developing his skills. Many pick-up games can be found in which kids of all skill levels can be seen out on the ice at the same time.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
There should be local programs, Parks and Recreation and the school may have programs also. No, yrs old is not too late. Try to find out the names of the local hockey club president, or parent organizations that sponser hockey, and get him involved. You as the parent should call and set up w/ the children's hockey leaders, get him to practices,...He'll be fine!!
If you know any neighbors, or your son has friends at school enrolled in hockey find out what he needs re: equipment. The local Minnesota Parks and Recreation Department should have a list of leagues. He may be too late to play much this year, but I am not sure. But check out everything, the "away" trips etc. Also, get him involved in soccer you should check on that program w/ school and also the Parks and Rec Dept. It will be fun, enjoy your son.

Last edited by JanND; 01-29-2012 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-29-2012, 08:20 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
When I was 9 (or 8), I saw a little movie called Mighty Ducks in the movie theater and I was so pumped I asked my dad if I could start playing hockey. He said, "it's hockey or football, son, but not both". Well, I chose football, but I wish I could've played both. It turns out that if you are 9 and starting hockey, you are a good 4-5 years behind most kids, and will need special (expensive) training camps to get caught up. hockey is an expensive sport!!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,028,467 times
Growing up in northeast Minnesota, I started at the age of 7 which was a few years behind many people, but looking back, I realize that it never really stunted me. At that young of an age, everyone is still learning the basics. At 9, your son would have plenty of time to catch up. And really, he doesn't have to be a superstar...even if he can't make it on the A-team or the high school teams, being able to do a pick-up game or be in a rec league could be just as fun.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Nine is now where near too old to start. His first year will be a little slow but if he is athletically inclined and wants to do it, he will catch up very quickly. Most kids would be WAY better off if they waited until they were 10 or so to start most sports anyway, less injuries as they get older.

There are club teams and school teams for soccer pretty much everywhere.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
My Kid started in 2nd grade (age 7) and that's a common starting age. He is playing on the Varsity team with a Kid who started hockey when he was 9. That boy was a natural athlete and he is on the 1st line.
See Youth Hockey Age Classifications - Sky Rink - Chelsea Piers - New York City - NYC At age 9, he would be a 1st year Squirt. It's really pushing it when he is a 1st year peewee. If he is in Eden Prairie, Edina, Minnetonka, or other huge districts it's probably to late to make a future high school team. That's because it is extremely competitive (in Wayzata, 250 Kid's trying out).

Bring him to some open skating (about 15 times) before your local schools summer program starts. For that age, a pair of $80 skates on sale are all you need along with a $50 stick. In high school, it's common to spend $500 on skates and over $150 for a (breakable) stick. Hockey is very expensive. Some years, we easily spent $5K with traveling fees, ice time and camps. Expect to pay $1500 for youth traveling, $300 for summer association camps, $300 a year on decent equipment, and several hotel rooms and trips to the gas station. If I added it all up, I bet we spent $40K or more. That being said, it was blast for him as well as up parents. But realize that in good associations, it's almost mandatory to participate in hockey camps and that can add up quickly.

It's actually a lot less expensive in high school hockey than in traveling hockey. I mention the pricing because in order to get good (natural athlete or not) you need a lot of ice time.
Hockey is a year round sport. Every metro association has $200-$300 summer programs that have a lot of ice time. Good luck!

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 01-30-2012 at 05:46 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My Kid started in 2nd grade (age 7) and that's a common starting age. He is playing on the Varsity team with a Kid who started hockey when he was 9. That boy was a natural athlete and he is on the 1st line.
See Youth Hockey Age Classifications - Sky Rink - Chelsea Piers - New York City - NYC At age 9, he would be a 1st year Squirt. It's really pushing it when he is a 1st year peewee. If he is in Eden Prairie, Edina, Minnetonka, or other huge districts it's probably to late to make a future high school team. That's because it is extremely competitive (in Wayzata, 250 Kid's trying out).

Bring him to some open skating (about 15 times) before your local schools summer program starts. For that age, a pair of $80 skates on sale are all you need along with a $50 stick. In high school, it's common to spend $500 on skates and over $150 for a (breakable) stick. Hockey is very expensive. Some years, we easily spent $5K with traveling fees, ice time and camps. Expect to pay $1500 for youth traveling, $300 for summer association camps, $300 a year on decent equipment, and several hotel rooms and trips to the gas station. If I added it all up, I bet we spent $40K or more. That being said, it was blast for him as well as up parents. But realize that in good associations, it's almost mandatory to participate in hockey camps and that can add up quickly.

It's actually a lot less expensive in high school hockey than in traveling hockey. I mention the pricing because in order to get good (natural athlete or not) you need a lot of ice time.
Hockey is a year round sport. Every metro association has $200-$300 summer programs that have a lot of ice time. Good luck!
I agree, hockey is VERY expensive and it takes up a LOT of time. Plan on several practices each week and tournaments pretty much every weekend. Living in the metro helps keep travel costs down some (usually can go home vs staying in a hotel) but often your tournaments are such that you will have at least one night in a hotel if not two.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 AM

679 posts, read 1,803,003 times
I have a friend whose son started at 9. He is doing fine. It is not too late. I'm not sure where you live, but most cities around the metro will have city league soccer and select/club soccer for families looking for a more competitive program. Congrats on your adoption!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul