Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 AM

9,751 posts, read 11,174,324 times

Advertisements

People who look "different" anywhere will get 2nd looks by a certain percentage of people in that community. That stops when "different" becomes more common place.

Personally, I like to live where I blend in. I'm not interested in being starred at or analysed by others for how I want to live. So logic would prevail that other groups like LGBT might feel more comfortable living in MPLS over Rosemount.

I am speaking about averages. Heck, some people dress in Gothic clothing intentionally sticking out. Therefore living in MPLS is sound advice. Now if your skin is super thick and you want to "plow the fields", I say move to Anoka. Rest assured (to a large degree) you will be whispered about once you are no longer in clear view. Not everyone will do that but a lot of people will. It has little to do with the "level of education" as to how tolerant people are. It has to do with what is more common. Simply put, it isn't common in Rosemount to see LGBT families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
People who look "different" anywhere will get 2nd looks by a certain percentage of people in that community. That stops when "different" becomes more common place.

Personally, I like to live where I blend in. I'm not interested in being starred at or analysed by others for how I want to live. So logic would prevail that other groups like LGBT might feel more comfortable living in MPLS over Rosemount.

I am speaking about averages. Heck, some people dress in Gothic clothing intentionally sticking out. Therefore living in MPLS is sound advice. Now if your skin is super thick and you want to "plow the fields", I say move to Anoka. Rest assured (to a large degree) you will be whispered about once you are no longer in clear view. Not everyone will do that but a lot of people will. It has little to do with the "level of education" as to how tolerant people are. It has to do with what is more common. Simply put, it isn't common in Rosemount to see LGBT families.
I disagree with everything you said. There are PLENTY of people in Minneapolis that are closed minded and will cause issues for the LGBT families or the goth kid or whatever. I've run into a lot more narrow minded Minneapolis people then I ever have in the suburbs but you can assume all you want. Like I said earlier, my PERSONAL experience is VASTLY different than your assumptions. Just how do you know you won't blend in in Rosemount, or Woodbury or Maple Grove?? What makes you stand out so much that you are unique to everywhere but Minneapolis?

Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
Really? You have personal experience with people being close-minded towards GLBT families in Minneapolis? Granted, I'm not gay (but this is an important issue to my family), but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that this is the case, and I've spent much more time in Minneapolis than you have. Quite the opposite, really.

I think MN-born-n-raised's point was clear: there are more LGBT families with kids in Minneapolis than in Rosemount. Do you disagree with that? If you're the token gay family in town, you'll probably get more attention (even if it's not mean-spirited) than you would where there are many LGBT families.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I disagree with everything you said. There are PLENTY of people in Minneapolis that are closed minded and will cause issues for the LGBT families or the goth kid or whatever. I've run into a lot more narrow minded Minneapolis people then I ever have in the suburbs but you can assume all you want. Like I said earlier, my PERSONAL experience is VASTLY different than your assumptions. Just how do you know you won't blend in in Rosemount, or Woodbury or Maple Grove?? What makes you stand out so much that you are unique to everywhere but Minneapolis?
We are talking about averages and nothing is cut and dry. On average, MPLS has more LGBT families than Rosemount. That isn't up for debate. Of course there are closed minded people in every town in America (and plenty of them). I'm closed minded on many topics and it is based off of my upbringing as well as my personal experiences. So are you and U.U.; that's just reality.

All of us are talking about opinions. Neither one of us has sampled the towns and questioned as to who is more "open minded". But in my opinion, logic and common sense is telling me that MPLS sees a lot more LGBT families and there will be LESS judgement in comparison. YMMV.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,904,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Really? You have personal experience with people being close-minded towards GLBT families in Minneapolis? Granted, I'm not gay (but this is an important issue to my family), but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that this is the case, and I've spent much more time in Minneapolis than you have. Quite the opposite, really.
Um, have you ever met a poor uneducated person before uptown? Last I checked, Minneapolis had a few.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Um, have you ever met a poor uneducated person before uptown? Last I checked, Minneapolis had a few.
I'm not saying that Minneapolis is some sort of utopia. But where is all this antagonism towards gay families in Minneapolis that Golfgal claims is a bigger problem in Minneapolis than in Rosemount?

And you can't assume that just because someone is poor and/or uneducated that they will harass people because of their family setup. Not sure where this idea that you can look purely at education or income levels and figure out their views on things.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned to GG, we are talking about trends not absolutes. I'm going to put words in UU's mouth.. She too is talking about trends.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM

I would just say that the types who tend to be intolerant are more concentrated in urban centers than in the suburbs. That's not to say that they are very concentrated anywhere, just more so in one place than the other

Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I would just say that the types who tend to be intolerant are more concentrated in urban centers than in the suburbs. That's not to say that they are very concentrated anywhere, just more so in one place than the other
Urban "intolerance" comes in a different form and is alive and well. Many folks in the Cities don't embrace conservative values and are therefore "intolerant". Everybody with a strong opinion falls into this camp. I'm as guilty as the next guy with my strong points of view. That is just reality.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM

Well by intolerant I don't just mean strongly disagrees with but being incapable or unwilling to allow opposing views. It is an 'us vs them' mentality. The chronically poor and uneducated and also some immigrant communities from socially backwards cultures are really the only places you consistently see those types of narrow and intolerant world views. And those types tend to be in the city centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul