Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Not to be pedantic, but I mentioned that my house is 2400 sq ft, not 1100.
You also said it was too big...sure, for 2 people if may feel big now, wait until you have kids, if you have more than one, and how much space their stuff takes up. I still stay it is layout more than sq footage. Our 2200 sq foot house felt big because of the layout, and our kids were toddlers. As teen's, that house would not have worked well with the lifestyle we have, lots of friends over all the time, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You also said it was too big...sure, for 2 people if may feel big now, wait until you have kids, if you have more than one, and how much space their stuff takes up. I still stay it is layout more than sq footage. Our 2200 sq foot house felt big because of the layout, and our kids were toddlers. As teen's, that house would not have worked well with the lifestyle we have, lots of friends over all the time, etc.
While this may be true in your case, it still ultimately comes down to personal preference and personal needs (although I do agree that it's layout that makes the biggest difference, not actual square footage). You can do quite a bit and entertain quite a lot in 1100 square feet, especially if the layout is good. Of course that depends on lots of other factors, but when it comes right down to it, what works for one person doesn't work for another. In any case, the earlier poster may change his/her mind about space needs if they have more kids (or older kids) or they may not. Maybe they'll want more space, maybe their space will be perfect, or perhaps they'll even want LESS space. It's a very personal decision.

I'm probably unusual and different from most people on this thread in that I've actually started to have my desire for space go down, not up. I don't want a family room AND a living room, for example -- seems like wasted space. Same thing with a guest bedroom. I prefer a compact kitchen -- no islands for me. I'm not extreme -- I never plan to be one of those people raising several kids in 500 square feet or something -- but I've definitely grown to appreciate and to prefer the cozy and small.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
While this may be true in your case, it still ultimately comes down to personal preference and personal needs (although I do agree that it's layout that makes the biggest difference, not actual square footage). You can do quite a bit and entertain quite a lot in 1100 square feet, especially if the layout is good. Of course that depends on lots of other factors, but when it comes right down to it, what works for one person doesn't work for another. In any case, the earlier poster may change his/her mind about space needs if they have more kids (or older kids) or they may not. Maybe they'll want more space, maybe their space will be perfect, or perhaps they'll even want LESS space. It's a very personal decision.

I'm probably unusual and different from most people on this thread in that I've actually started to have my desire for space go down, not up. I don't want a family room AND a living room, for example -- seems like wasted space. Same thing with a guest bedroom. I prefer a compact kitchen -- no islands for me. I'm not extreme -- I never plan to be one of those people raising several kids in 500 square feet or something -- but I've definitely grown to appreciate and to prefer the cozy and small.
Which is all easy with one child--try 3 kids, and 5 or 6 friends over and tell me how much a family room and a living room is wasted space

Old 04-10-2012, 02:54 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Which is all easy with one child--try 3 kids, and 5 or 6 friends over and tell me how much a family room and a living room is wasted space
you're still projecting your own needs/wishes, which are different than mine. Maybe it's just that I've never lived in a home with a family room, or in a home of anywhere near 2200 square feet (and there were three kids in my family) and am used to living in a much smaller space than you do, but it still simply feels, to me, like duplication of space. The kids are all going to be in the same room anyway, right? Again, to each his own. And that's what this is all about: there is no one "right" answer. Some people need more space than other people to feel comfortable. What feels cozy to one person feels cramped and claustrophobic to another. Tastes and preferences are different.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
In our situation, I need two home offices. So out of the gate, I need a three bedroom home. I suppose I could office on the kitchen table with a lap top. Add in child one and two and we "needed" a 5 bedroom home. Now that we are empty nesters, I only "need" a 3 bedroom home. In the future I didn't want to send my visiting son or daughter to a hotel. Hence, I "need" a guest bedroom.

As far as expenses. I write off a portion of my office space (a.k.a. two bedrooms), a portion of TP, coffee, heat, electric, property taxes, etc. So for me at least, those extra expenses are part of doing business.

My wife likes a formal dining room. I think that is a massive waste of space. I could also cut out the bar that is used a couple times a year and even another bathroom. Excluding the need for an office, kids "stuff" takes up room. Snowboards, hockey equipment, games, bikes, etc all need room to store. 2500 sq foot and 2 kids would be the minimum I would even consider even with a 3 car garage.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
At least 2400 sq. ft.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 20,578 times
was reading some of the tiny house forums and ran across someone saying 400sq ft per person. Was anecdotal but stemmed from a minimalist forum.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I bet it'd be possible for 4 people to live in the 270 sq ft home display that is set up in IKEA.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
When I grew up there were 6 people living in about 1700 sq feet. It was fine when we were kids.
These days you want as big as possible since your kids will be living with you until their 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul