Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 11,206 times

Advertisements

It appears as if my family will be moving to the Twin Cities sooner rather than later. Because my wife just got a promotion here in Austin, TX, she is going to stay back here with our daughter for at least 2-3 months while I start a new job in St. Paul.

So, two-fold question:

First, I'm looking for a short-term, month-to-month rental somewhat close to I-94 and Snelling. I'd also love to be close-ish to the airport, as I'll be flying back to Austin every other week. I've been told that the area bounded by the Mississippi River on the west, Ford Parkway to the south, Snelling Avenue to the east and Grand Avenue to the north is a solid place to start looking.

We're in our mid-late 30's, so avoiding the "college-y" areas is ideal, but I've been told that this area, while there are many colleges, actually makes for better neighborhoods. I want to avoid ghetto/barrio FOR SURE, though.

I'm thinking the south end of St. Paul or even close to/in downtown would be good. Quick access to work, airport, and looks like there are a host of bars/restaurants for entertainment.

So, what say you?

---

Second question, and I guess it isn't quite as important based on timing, is where should we be looking long-term. We will have a two-year old and a newborn come 2013. My good friend (who's hooking me up with the job) lives in Eden Prairie, and I'd like to be as close to him as possible. Problem is, the wife detests cookie-cutter suburbia. So, need something still somewhat in the city, safe as heck, and close to parks, restaurants and fun stuff like farmers markets, etc.

I know, a lot to ask!

---

Thanks for all of your input. I've perused the forums here before when we were considering moves to other locales and the info has always been great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:14 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
Mac Groveland, the area you mention in St Paul, is fine. There are colleges in the area, but it's not very college-y (like around the U and Dinkytown) Also check around Grand, and the Selby-Dale neighborhoods. If you want to be near Eden Prarie, but not in a "cookie cutter" burb, try the part of Edina that is around the little downtown area over there.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:54 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Can you suffer through a collegy area for the first few months? When will your wife be moving up? Now might be a good time to find an apartment sub-let from one of the college areas. It's hard to find month to month short term rentals in the metro and that might be your best option.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Mac Groveland, the area you mention in St Paul, is fine. There are colleges in the area, but it's not very college-y (like around the U and Dinkytown) Also check around Grand, and the Selby-Dale neighborhoods. If you want to be near Eden Prarie, but not in a "cookie cutter" burb, try the part of Edina that is around the little downtown area over there.
Right, that's what I heard. And yeah I have heard good things about Edina. Will definitely be at the top of our list for longer-term solutions! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Can you suffer through a collegy area for the first few months? When will your wife be moving up? Now might be a good time to find an apartment sub-let from one of the college areas. It's hard to find month to month short term rentals in the metro and that might be your best option.
Yeah I could certainly suffer through the college-y area by myself. If the area I mentioned in my original post is college-y enough to have sublets, maybe that's where I'll need to be. Wife would be moving up around August I'd say.

I've heard that RentersWarehouse.com is a good option for finding a good apartment to lease. Thoughts? Or other similar options?

I'm good with a studio, "efficiency" or of course a good-ole 1-BR. Looking to keep the rent under $650 since I'll also be footing the bill for a mortgage here in Texas.

Appreciate the replies!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Not to be discouraging, but it IS tough to find short term housing in st. paul, even in the college neighborhoods. Most of the college sublets aren't subs for whole apartments, they are sublets for rooms. It's more popular for off-campus college students to split a big house amongst 4 or 5 people. My brother just started an internship in St. Paul and ended up living in my aunt's basement in Roseville because he couldn't find anything and didn't want to live with a bunch of strangers. Just check craig's list, there are hardly any listings anywhere in Ramsey county for sublets. If you find something reasonable, you should probably pounce on it.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM

Well perhaps I'll need to find something with a 6-month lease and just bite the bullet... or sublet it out once the wife gets up there.

I've actually seen a few month-to-month options but certainly not as many as the 6/12 options.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
At $650/month I think you might find you will end up on a neighborhood you won't want your wife in...

Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
At $650/month I think you might find you will end up on a neighborhood you won't want your wife in...
Really? That's disappointing. Now, the only time my wife will be up will be for 1-2 visits during the 3-4 month period... but I still want to be in a decent neighborhood.

Are you trying to tell me that I'm not going to find anything for $650 or less in the area I described in my original post?

Are there alternate areas still close to I-94/Snelling that WOULD be safer/nicer that I could find something for $650 or less?

My daily visits to Craigslist typically nets decent results, but I have not checked crime data, etc., on the places that look good. I do have a friend in town that's offered to do drive-bys for me to make sure the neighborhood looks OK.

Thanks all.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM

I think you could find a place for $650 in Mac Groveland near Merriam Park but it would be kind of dumpy and most likely a studio or a basement apartment. My brother and his friend split a 2BR basement apartment in that area for $725, but that was a couple of years ago. You'd probably have to bump up to at least $725 for a decent 1 bedroom. Try padmapper.com

I just looked at padmapper out of curiosity and found this:
Private studio with great views in Heart of Prospect Park (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/sub/2975195739.html - broken link)

That neighborhood is pretty cool (Prospect Park), it's an odd one that not many people know about. My great uncle lived there for over 40 years. Loads of trees everywhere. The residents tend to be academics from the U of MN so it's very quiet and the lawns are like jungles.

Last edited by rzzz; 04-23-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Thanks rzzz - I've actually heard good things about padmapper and have yet to test it out.

I'm definitely cool with a studio.

OK - Padmapper is the shiiiieeet! Nice. Looks like there are a ton of options.... just need to make sure the neighborhood(s) would be OK.

I'm seeing TON of choices in/around downtown Minneapolis. Should I be looking there as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul